I’ve seen several posts now from people wanting to go as cheaply as possible on gear. We all love a good bargain but sometimes going too cheap ends up costing you more in the long run. There’s value in paying a little more for a quality product - they last longer too!
I’m thinking the following:
- The main luggage - cheap versions blow out at the seams after only a few uses. Worse - it happens on your trip and now you find yourself trying to sew it back up or doing an emergency shopping run for new luggage.
- Rain gear - trying to save a few bucks by buying water resistant coats instead of taped seam waterproof coat. End up getting soaked through 1/2 way through the day and spending your vacation time drying out in the hotel room.
- Walking shoes - going fashionable instead of good support and thicker soles. End up spending the day sitting down or back at the hotel room due to sore/blistered feet
- Cheap down puff jacket. Down collapses once it’s wet so you’re back at the hotel room. You might want to spend a little more for Primaloft- it keeps its thermal properties when wet.
- Packing cubes and toiletry kits. Going for the cheaper heavier versions instead of light weight versions. End up having to pay checked bag fees because you can’t make hand luggage weight.
Any other “don’t skimp on this gear” items you would suggest? This isn’t about price so much as quality, but you usually have to pay a little more for quality.