Please sign in to post.

Packing Report (Spain 2024)

We travelled to San Sebastian, Bilbao, Segovia, Toledo and Madrid from April 25-May 9 (all public transportation). Predicted temps upper-40s to 80, some rain. Actual temps 45-75, some rain.

This is a standard pack for me, with some adjustments per weather, etc. for most trips from 10 days-3 weeks. Yes, I do sink wash!

In my IT “Lykke” carry-on (small! external dimensions are 21.7” x 14” x 8.1” with a 2” expansion, this includes wheels & handles. Interior dimensions are 18.7” x 13.8” x 8.1” about 43L capacity. 5.2 lbs). Total weight packed: 18 lbs:

1 long sleeve shirt (Columbia, black)
1 ¾ sleeve shirt (KIrkland, black)
2 short sleeve tees (Old Navy, black, purple)
1 long sleeve undershirt (32 degrees, black)
1 sleeveless undershirt (black
1 cardigan (Uniqlo thin merino wool, black)
1 zip-up hoodie (Uniqlo airism, black)
1 pair of jeans (Levi Signature pull-on)
2 pairs of pants (“Splendid” from Costco, linen blend)
5 pairs of socks
5 pairs of underwear
1 thin pullover sweater (Amazon Basics, burgundy)
Scarf
Sneakers (Merrell, “Morphlite”, black w white sole)
Shoes (Allbirds wool runners, gray)
Misc ziploc “repair” kit (sewing kit, duct tape, bandaids, moleskin, lint roller)
Laundry ziploc kit (2 elastic clotheslines, drain stopper)
Electric toothbrush & charger
TSA toiletry kit (Lotion, shampoo, mousse, etc)
Assorted ziploc bags
Plastic grocery bag for laundry

On the plane:

Joggers (Athleta, black)
T-shirt (Loft, dark gray)
Cardigan (Uniqlo, dark gray)
Scarf
Underwear & bra
Ankle booties w/socks (Remonte Liv, black; Dickies quarter socks)
Jacket (32 degrees thin down)

In my backpack (this all fit in my Adidas pack, but I will probably go back to my Embark backpack - it’s roomier and better organized, but still fits under the plane seat)(I did not weigh this, but certainly under 10 lbs):

Kit (meds, makeup, deodorant, sunscreen, earrings,etc)
Toothbrush & paste
iPad Mini
Phone
Electronics kit (cords, adapter, powerbank, Airfly bluetooth adapter, ear buds)
Raincoat (Eddie Bauer, Rainfoil? Not sure - just a shell, long enough to cover bottom)
Pajamas & one pair underwear
Cross body bag (Bagallini Hobo Tote)
Water bottle
Snacks
Small zippered pouch w clip-on lanyard with passport & wallet
Night kit (bluetooth earband, eye mask)
Day kit (lip balm, kleenex, eye drops, motrin, gum)
Masks
Ballcap
Small journal & pen
Foldable fabric bag (for groceries, etc)

What would I change? Did not need the Amazon pullover sweater, and need to change my PJ choices (was expecting to be cold, so packed warmer set, ended up being too hot). Could drop one pair of the linen-blend pants; probably didn’t need the Allbirds although it was nice to have them for going to breakfast and short jaunts to dinner (and they weigh practically nothing).

Posted by
470 posts

Thanks for sharing the trip report - it is always interesting to read one of these. Sounds like your packing went well!

Posted by
388 posts

the Costco linen-blend pants are crops - but I am short, so they were closer to ankle length. And a wider (but not really wide) leg. Looked stylish (I think!) and were great for warmer temps.

Posted by
2925 posts

Thanks Rebecca, I love reading other’s packing lists. Question about your linen blend pants: how did they hand wash? Dry quick? Wrinkles?
I take leggings because they pack small and dry in a day. But am looking for humid Italy alternative.

Posted by
388 posts

They hand wash and dry pretty well, but not completely overnight (I tested at home, since on a 2 week trip, no need to wash them). Probably would dry overnight if you had a nice warm day to hang them outside, or the heated towel rack (none of our places in Spain had them, what the heck). They do wrinkle, but they are linen blend so that's kind of the look anyway. I liked them better than I expected, they are definitely on my packing list for our Africa trip in the fall. They run a bit large - I usually wear a medium, but got a small. They had beige, sage and black - but it's Costco so who knows what's left lol