Please sign in to post.

Packing Report - Best of Poland May-June 2024

I just recently came back from a Rick Steves’ Best of Poland trip and thought I’d share my packing list. I love reading packing reports and hope someone else will find this helpful.

I arrived two nights early and stayed one more night post-tour so I was gone a total of 13 nights (not counting the overnight transatlantic flight). There were a couple of warm days (mid-80s) in the beginning of the trip and then the weather cooled off to mid-70s. There were two days with significant rainfall.

I wore each of the t-shirts twice. The pants were each worn multiple times. I sink-washed socks, underwear, and bra each night.

I used a 22 inch IT spinner, a 20 liter stowaway backpack from Eddie Bauer, a medium-sized crossbody bag from Vera Bradley, and a small crossbody bag from Travelon. The following is everything else I brought with me.

Clothing: Long-Sleeve T-Shirt, Short-Sleeve T-Shirt (6), Jeans (2), Water Resistant Hiking, Pants, Mid-weight Cardigan Sweater, Underwear (5), Smartwool Zero-Cushion Ankle Socks (5), Bras (5), Pajama Pants, Pajama T-shirt, Rain Jacket

Shoes: Merrell Jungle Mocs, New Balance 840 sneakers

Electronics: Smartwatch, iPhone, Earbuds, Travel Noise Machine, Kindle Fire, 5200mAh Portable Charger, 6 inch iPhone Charging Cord (to use with portable charger), 3 foot iPhone Charging Cord, Kindle Charging Cord, Noise Machine Charging Cord, Dual USB Type C Power Plug (2)

Toiletries: Shampoo, Conditioner, Bar Soap, Face Moisturizer, Hair Brush, Hair Ties, Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Deodorant, Foot Glide, Sunscreen, Sanitary Pads, Cuticle Scissors

Mini First Aid Kit: Nail Clippers, Ibuprofen, Band Aids, Shout-out Wipes

Medication: Morning Container (filled Mon-Sat), Evening Container (filled Sun-Sat), Small travel container for the day’s worth of medicine, Medication for 10 more days, separated by pill type into sandwich baggies along with a copy of the prescription label, Medication for Saturday night / Sunday morning (i.e. travel day)

Miscellaneous: Eyeglasses with case, Sunglasses with case, Wallet {Credit Cards (2), Debit Cards (2), Drivers License, 200 Zloty (cash)}, Passport, Money Belt, 2.5-gallon Ziploc Bags (3) {for sink washing}, Laundry Detergent Sheets (cut into small strips), Travel Hangers (4), Hair Towel, Travel Size Tissue Packs (2), KN95 Face Masks (10), Reusable/Foldable Shopping Bag, Snacks {Mints (2), Luna Bars (4), Peanut M&Ms (2), Peanut Butter M&Ms (2)}

Posted by
45 posts

General Remarks and what I would do differently:

The 22 inch spinner and 20 liter backpack were the perfect size. (I had a little room leftover for some small souvenirs.)

I really enjoyed having the two different sized cross-body bags. I used the smaller one on travel days (i.e. in the airport) or in the evenings. And I used the mid-size bag on the long tour days when I wanted to carry more with me. The size of the Vera Bradley bag was perfect, but it didn’t hold up too well on the rainy days. I need to find something more water resistant.

The new balance sneakers didn’t quite provide enough support on long days with lots of walking. I think next time I will try something with a harder sole, like a Merrell Moab.

I know a lot of people think jeans are too heavy for travel, but they are what I wear everyday and am most comfortable in. I feel like I can wear them multiple times without washing and they still look/feel fresh. So I will continue bringing jeans. (The rain resistant pants were definitely the right choice though for the rainy days.)

I didn’t use the portable charger. Didn’t even come close to needing it. I may leave it home next time. Maybe. The fear of running out of phone charge may override that decision.

I brough 3 oz of shampoo and conditioner. I only needed 2 oz for two weeks.

I used the Foot Glide religiously every day and between that and the smartwool socks I didn’t get a single blister. (Something that has plagued me on previous trips.)

I didn’t use the mini first aid kit. Although there was one day I could have used some Pepto Bismol. It's not something I normally use at home, but will add it for the next trip.

Instead of sunglasses I think I would have preferred having a hat. At home I really only wear sunglasses while driving and wear a hat when I’m out walking about. So now I have to find the perfect travel hat ;)

This was my first trip where I tried sink-washing and it worked very well. I liked having the 2.5-galled ziploc bags as most of the bathroom sinks didn’t have a stopper. I only needed two travel hangers.

This was the first trip I brought my hair towel and I loved having it. It's a “luxury” item I am definitely bringing again.

I didn’t use the face masks but it's a necessary evil these days.

I didn’t use the reusable shopping bag. I’m just not that much of a shopper. I think I might leave it at home next time.

The rain jacket wasn’t enough on the day we had pouring rain all morning. Luckily the hotel had some umbrellas to borrow. Next time I will pack a small umbrella.

There were a couple of afternoons/evenings where I spent a couple of hours just relaxing in my hotel room. I wished I had brought my portable speaker to listen to music. I think I will bring this next time if there is room in my bag.

I was really happy to have packed some snacks. I mostly ate them on airport travel days. And on the day I toured Auschwitz I had a very early morning tour pickup and was grateful to have the luna bars to eat for breakfast.

Posted by
461 posts

Thanks for the packing report, Amy! Always interesting to me to read what other people pack.

I take a massive amount of photos on my cell phone when I'm on vacation, so I always have a portable charger with me. I have one that is 13000mAh that my husband bought me in 2017 right before I went on a trip to Israel and I have brought it with me on every trip since. My son bought me a little one (5000mAh) that I keep in my purse for every day carry at home. Several years ago, my husband wasn't feeling well while we were out and about in our home town and we decided to go to the E.R. just to be on the safe side. Turns out he was having a heart attack (he's fine now, thankfully), but I was so frustrated that my phone's battery was very low and I was trying to make phone calls with our adult children and some close friends. Ever since, I always have a portable charger with me, because sometimes life throws in some surprises.

Posted by
14183 posts

I agree with Sherry...thanks for the details! I love packing reports, lol.

I've carried the portable charger the last few trips and didn't use it except on the plane to pump up my watch overnight. I also will continue to bring it after having come close to having my phone poop out in Venice in 2022. New phone since then and have never come close but I feel better when I have it.

Is your rain jacket water resistant instead of waterproof? That can make all the difference although for a couple of trips I've left an umbrella at home and purchased one on the trip, lol. I always think I am going to save weight by leaving the umbrella out but then when you need one you usually wind up having to buy an automatic opening one which is pretty heavy to carry around.

Travel hats...yes, a good topic. I'm debating about taking my regular hiking hat to France in the Fall as I'll be in Brittany and Normandie so outside quite a bit. My current sunhats are a Columbia Boonie hat that is a really bright tropical print (not being sold this year but packable) and a fake straw hat from Costco which is not packable but has a nice wide brim. My criteria include a chin strap, a wide brim for shade and hopefully not too dorky but that's debatable.

I did just see this one at Cabelas that looks nice and it says it's packable.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/kanut-sports-pitkitigushi-safari-hat-for-ladies

Thanks for taking the time to post!

Posted by
555 posts

Thanks for sharing your packing list and the after-analysis, Amy. I love reading these.
Pam, you need to think about that hat in the Gulf color! Would look great with your outfits! ;)
I've been thinking about carrying a small power bank, even locally. We've had some ER trips, as mentioned, and it would provide some peace of mind. Weight is a concern, though, as I use a fairly small crossbody bag.

Posted by
25 posts

I enjoy packing reports, but really love the post-trip analysis. Thanks for your thoughts. I have a two year old iPhone, and I thought the battery was doing pretty well until last week, when I went into San Francisco, and ended up using Maps a lot. That sucked down my battery quickly!

Anytime you don’t have to break into your first aid kit is a successful trip :-D.

Posted by
2881 posts

Thanks Amy for sharing your packing list, what worked and what didn’t. It’s always interesting to know what others pack.
I took an ultra-light packable shopping bag on last year’s trip. It was the best addition to my packing list. My purse is an extra small Travelon and holds nothing beyond the necessities. The shopping bag held everything I bought during the day including water bottle and gifts. I keep kicking around the idea of taking a larger purse also. Then I remember how sore my neck was last time I used it on a trip. For day trips I use the same backpack as you.

Ualagirl, thanks for reminding me to buy a new phone battery. I always take (and use) a battery pack but it doesn’t make up for a 2 1/2 y/o phone battery.

Posted by
10351 posts

I have a small lipstick sized phone battery that fits into my tiny purse. I like that I can use the phone while it’s charging easily. Even better, I have a cell phone case that has an extra battery, so with the press of a button it starts charging. It’s a little heavier than my regular case so I don’t always use it, but when I know I’ll be using my phone a lot with maps or whatever I will switch them out.

Posted by
462 posts

Thanks for the packing report and breakdown of how it worked. Most informative. I was disappointed to hear your New Balance didn’t hold up. I’m getting to the point of needing to find a new brand of sneaks. I stockpiled some Sauconys that work great for my feet and legs but I wear them for my everyday walking exercise and I’ll need something else soon. The newer model of the same shoe changed enough that it won’t work. I noticed a lot of NB on men and women on my Greece tour last month and thought I’d try them next..

I hope you write a trip report on the Poland tour. I’m really tempted to take it. (Feel bad just saying that since I haven’t done one for my last 2 trips!) Don’t be like me!

Posted by
45 posts

Thank you everyone for the kind responses. I think you all have convinced me to continue to bring the power bank, haha!

@Pam, my rain jacket is waterproof but its an older one and I think some of the seams are starting to break down. But more than that, I had trouble keeping the hood in place – it kept sliding down towards the back of my head. And without the umbrella my face/glasses got really wet. When hiking in the rain I also wear a baseball cap so I’m leaning towards bringing one of those next time and it will work for both the sun and the rain.

@Lyndash, I go on a long walk every week, on the order of 6-10 miles, and the New Balance sneakers work great for that. It was more that they didn’t hold up to being on my feet ALL DAY. (I work a desk job so I’m not use to standing all day long.) The sneakers felt too squishy, if that makes any sense. The Merrell Jungle Mocs felt better after a long day so that’s why I’m thinking something with a harder sole will work better for my feet. If sneakers in general work for you, please don’t let my comments dissuade you from trying New Balance.