I thought that since it’s getting colder outside it would be nice to share how we manage to pack light on a winter time trip. I actually went of the RS Munich, Salzburg & Vienna tour last December so we could experience the Christmas markets and the Yuletide celebrations in Europe. The temperature was around 32 degrees on most days of the trip so when the wind blew it was chilly!
I actually didn’t take all that much extra and was able to get it in my carry on backpack.
1) I took the usual number of underwear and socks (5), but my socks were all crew length and were made of merino wool.
2) 2 pair of pants plus I wore a pair on the flight over, all pants are made by Clothing Arts for travel and quick drying.
3) 3 Long sleeve shirts (quick drying) and 2 long sleeve merino wool T-shirts
4) A Patagonia Micro-D fleece
5) A down filled ultra light jacket
6) Rain Shell
7) Ski Hat (get one with a tight knit, a lined one is even better)
8) Pair of fleece gloves
9) All the usual toiletry items & electronics.
I was able to layer easily by wearing the wool T-shirt and then a Fleece, followed by the down jacket. If it was raining or extra cold I would put the rain shell over everything and I never got cold. The key to packing was to wear the down jacket, ski hat and fleece gloves on the plane because they take up a lot of space in the bag. I only wore one pair of shoes (Merrill Moab water proof). We had a awesome time on the tour and never felt like we needed more clothes.
Please share any tips you have on traveling in the winter overseas.
Disclaimer: Our trip did not include skiing or hiking in the mountains that would require a more extensive packing.