Please sign in to post.

Packing light challenge

Following some of the suggested items on packing lists for women, I’m incredulous that anyone can achieve a carry-on less than 20lb. I’ve packed the 2 long pants, 2 capris (wearing one of the longs now), mix of 5 blouses/tops, underwear and socks (not even a week’s worth 😯), pair of sandals, toiletries (no makeup, just sunscreen, moisturizer, shampoo and conditioner in small containers), medications in ziplock bags, my RS France tourbook (I cannot bring myself to rip it apart. Sacrilège!) and iPad with a few cables and an adapter. I’m at 22lb with a case that weighs 4lb. Fortunately I’m not travelling on any airline that has weight restriction for carry-on, but I don’t know what else to toss out at this point! How do people do it????

Posted by
4573 posts

Sometimes I feel people boast this weight but don't really include the weight of the suitcase....otherwise they are size 0. I can't do it either. I swear my suitcase comes in at 22 pounds regardless of what I put in there. That being said, I do cut up my tourbook, and in that 22 pounds are binoculars and a camera (though both reduced in size to 8 ounces each)...and I am a plus size woman.
Alternatively, they weigh every item of clothing (like Sarah Murdoch recommends) and only take lightweight, low volume items.
May I ask whether 4 bottoms to 5 tops is a good balance? I will admit to 3 bottoms and 6-7 tops being my comfort zone.
If you moved your ipad and cables to your purse, what is the weight?

Posted by
11300 posts

I cannot get under 20 lbs either, but I do put my electronics in my daypack while in transit.

Posted by
27062 posts

My bag starts out with about 6 lb. of vitamins and medications for my very long trips, so I'll certainly never see 20 lb. However, there's a lot of variation in suitcase weight. I had a bag--larger than even the US carry-on size--that weighed just 3-1/2 lb. I think I've seen 6-1/2 lb. carry-on bags advertised as "lightweight", and I wouldn't be surprised if some weigh over 7 lb. That would make a big difference.

I would never cart around chapters of a guidebook covering territory I'm positive I won't visit in the current trip. I leave those at home since I may want to consult them for a future trip.

Posted by
27 posts

Maria, thanks for the reply. May I ask what the mix is of short pants and long pants is when you take just 3? My iPad is already in my day bag, and I’ve a small camera with a secondary lens in its own carry case. So 3 items- I hope they’ll let me take everything as is as I won’t be boarding the plane loaded down with duty free bags :) That’ll be the return trip 😆

Posted by
439 posts

Can you lift 20pds. I can lift a fair amount, 25pds is my limit. 30 pds for husband.

Posted by
27 posts

Yes Mary, I can lift it above my head, but it’s absolutely jam packed full. Where am I going to put my souvenirs????? 😂

Posted by
1194 posts

On several occasions I see “I packed in x pounds” posts. Then I read the post and realize they didn’t include their personal item!!!! Sorry, that’s cheating. I’ve also seen the “I packed in Y liters” posts and again, they didn’t include the personal item. Argh.

That said, I have personally packed in 16 liters at 6.5 kg. That’s ONE personal item sized bag. Others have done the same. I admit I love traveling this way and travel personal item only travel as much as possible. I’ve documented a lot of it on my blog but am not allowed to reference it here per RS rules. But the pictures are there to prove I did it!

The secrets (in general).

• a very light bag (under 2 lb)
  • a strict travel capsule (9-12 pieces)
  • lightweight fabrics
  • reduce paper
  • minimized toiletries
  • solid toiletries
  • minimize packaging (no cubes in cubes, and cubes are ultralight)
  • minimize electronics
  • minimize underwear
  • no extra “stuff”
  • clothing that multitasks

In general, I’ll have:

• 2 pants (one that rolls up into capris)
  • a skirt or dress
  • 4-5 tops
  • a sweater
  • a raincoat
  • puff jacket
  • leggings
  • t zip base layer
  • 4 undies
  • 2-3 work to workout bras
  • 3-4 socks
  • filament silk long john top
  • airism tank
  • dress shoes
  • walking shoes
  • rash guard top
  • swim capris (also great for everything else)

This includes what I wear in the plane.

I can’t reference my own blog but here are others I find show the spirit of the way:

Ultralight Packing List: I Traveled for 3 Weeks with a 12L Handbag

Ultimate ultralight travel packing list

Ultralight Travel Packing List: 10 Countries, One 7kg Bag

Posted by
4300 posts

I can do 15 lbs in my Tom Bihn Tristar backpack(33 liters) in the lightweight Dyneema/Halcyon fabric. I probably could not carry a heavier bag on my back. I have a somewhat large purse and put my 3-1-1 bag in it. You could also put the chargers in there. Or get one of those jackets with lots of pockets. Have you looked at Sarah Murdoch's packing videos on this website? She is one of Rick's guides.

Bring an additional fold-up bag for souvenirs and check your regular carry-on on the way home. I rip apart my RS guidebook and put the pages in the little folders he sells for that purpose. Wear your heaviest shoes(which it sounds like you're doing since you're packing your sandals) and clothes. I do not carry an iPad or camera-just iPhone and Kindle.

Posted by
4573 posts

Eleanor, from what I can see this is France this month for you?....I assume you are not counting the clothing you are wearing and would hope that these include a pair of long pants you can wear throughout your trip. In total, counting flight clothes, I would take 4 bottoms. Looking at the weather forecast would determine whether more long pants or capris. Personally, I have some light weight trousers that with sandals are as comfortable as capris, so only pack one pair of capris. I often travel in variable weather season, thus the 6-7 tops. 3 weeks in Spain in Oct/Nov had weather from 5 - 27C so 4 long pants, one being a convert to capri length. You won't have to worry about that variation.....but dropping one pair of bottoms might shift that scale finger closer to the 20 ;-)
As to the travel book, remember, the information will be somewhat out of date come January (or next week). You will have gained your money's worth before you even board the plane, and it is all recyclable. It is a hard first cut, but it is easier to make the second one....and you will be glad you aren't carrying that full guidebook around in your purse all day.

Posted by
1361 posts

On my most recent 10 day whirlwind trip to Spain and Portugal, where the weather was predicted to be rainy and 60's on some days and 80's on others, I was determined to meet the 20 lb challenge. My 38 liter carry on backpack weighed 14.2 pounds. My under seat personal item weighed 5.6 pounds for a total of 19.8 pounds. :-) I didn't carry an ipad, travel books, binoculars or camera. With the exception of a few paper documents, everything is on my phone with an ipod as backup. I suspect it's the additional electronics and books that puts people over 20 pounds.

Posted by
27 posts

Yes Maria, this is France for me. Leaving today! The weather forecast is quite mixed, with rain and sunny breaks, thunderstorms...not especially cold, but not the high 20c they’ve been having this weekend either. All
My pants are lightweight and fast drying, but not the zip off variety. In addition to the 4 pants, I have a sundress. Maybe I can ditch one of the capris and wear the sundress if I’m laundering the capri...By bringing only the chapters to the places we’ll be visiting, I’ll have several chunks of pages, yes?

Posted by
4573 posts

By the way Eleanor, there are no prizes at the end of this challenge so if you are over 20 pounds and can live with yourself, you have won.
EDIT....today!?? how exciting. One might say that by now, packing changes may be too late.
As to chunks of paper, I stapled them together into sections, but if you cut it down the spine with an exacto knife (or whatever), then the glue from the book should have some hold on the sheets. I also made a cover like the one RS sells on line from a report cover - just cut down to fit. ....I would not put this high up the priority list, however.
Hopefully you have a spare lightweight backpack or duffle around the house that can fit into the external suitcase pocket to use for bringing home souvenirs.
Have a great trip!

Posted by
3820 posts

Maria, have a fabulous, fun trip. FYI, I’m always around 35 lbs even before I shop. I do carry one size but usually check my bag. I did do carry on to Florida for a cruise last month and was able to lift the bag into the overhead compartment. I was alone. It works for me.

Posted by
2716 posts

Don't toss anything for two pounds.
No matter how I tried, I could not get my RS Rolling Carryon below 22 lbs. and my tote with my purse, electronics and camera inside weighted 8 lbs. I could get the dimensions within Delta’s limitations by cranking down the compression straps. I did tear apart the Italy guidebook and made small city guides which saved a pound.
Would I take less? No. In fact I wished I would have packed more layers and another sweater. It was so cold and rainy in Italy in May. To put it not so nicely, I froze my a** off and have been sick for the past two weeks.
So don’t worry about the weight if you’re not on an airline that cares. Two lbs shouldn’t prevent you from shoving your suitcase in the overhead. If you’re on a RS tour you’ll be able to manage your luggage just fine.

Adding: on the way home expand if possible and check your suitcase. Your carryon personal item and a packable backpack or tote can carry your souvenirs. If you buy a lot of bulky breakable items you can always ship them home.
Have a great trip!!

Posted by
8647 posts

My stays in London during the Fall and Winter months are usually between 3 and 4 weeks and if I can do it with heavier attire you can as well. This includes a winter coat , jeans and 2 pairs of shoes (one hiking and one slip on) my laptop, chords, chargers and cameras with battery chargers.

It's a fine science....and one learned over years of travel. Less is truly more!

My suggestions for culling for your trip:
1 pair long pants wear on the plane/1 capri/other pair of long pants = 3 pairs
2 tops packed
1 blouse worn on the plane/lighweight sweater
3 pair underwear/wash

2 pair of socks/wash
Wear scarf on the plane.
2 Small travel tubes of Gold Bond Healing Aloe lotion
1 tin of Nieva moisturizer
Buy some hair dye (Lady Clariol for example) and take the tube of conditioner that is in it.
Buy your shampoo there or use whatever is in the hotel you might be staying in OR get a Johnsons Baby Shampoo Travel Bottle
Make a computerized list of you medications and store them in one of those weekly pill organizers. I like the Love Wellness Pill Organizer as it has both options for pills to be taken at night and those taken during the day. Last thing I pack before I zip up the roller bag.

Roll up your zip lock bags.

Book goes in your under the seat bag along with the camera, kleenex, glasses and passport carrier. Use a money belt.

Travel light and enjoy yourself.

Oops. I see you leave tomorrow. Well you can still cull.
Safe travels

Posted by
3961 posts

Go and have a wonderful journey! We seem to travel in warm weather, hence lightweight clothing- mostly hand wash, line dry. Seem to stay around 20-22 lbs. We check our luggage. My husband uses a lightweight backpack as his personal carry-on. The iPad & cords go in the backpack. I carry-on my newest find- Hedgren lightweight tote that holds meds., snacks, few cosmetics, some paperwork, book, etc. this has a trolley sleeve as well. As far as souvenirs- small items that can be tucked away in suitcase.

Posted by
27 posts

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ve closed the suitcase for the final time!! Next time it’ll be opened will be in Paris. OMG Im going to Paris!

Posted by
1361 posts

As someone else said, don’t re-do or re-pack for 2 lbs. For me, it was simply a personal challenge. And by the way, my bag weighed considerably more on the way home than the way out! Bon voyage!

Posted by
13905 posts

Have a wonderful time! Paris is one of my very favorite cities!

FWIW, I usually come in around 22# and it works fine for me. I can lift it over my head into a train rack and that's all that I am concerned about at this point.

Posted by
1194 posts

Sometimes I feel people boast this weight but don't really include the weight of the suitcase....otherwise they are size 0

I’ve done personal item travel when I was a size 14. That was to a wedding and I had to carry a special dress and pumps. It was the first time I did personal item travel and I still did it!

Alternatively, they weigh every item of clothing (like Sarah Murdoch recommends) and only take lightweight, low volume items.

This is actually a critical part of light travel. You need to find out the true weights of each item (it is sometimes surprising!).

More importantly, you need to go through each item and see if you can replace it with a lighter similar item.

• tablet or phone for laptop
  • smaller camera for DLSR
  • puff jacket for fleece
  • light sweater for heavy
  • light toiletry kit for heavy
  • light (and less) packing cubes for heavy
  • etc.

The key is to do this weeks before you leave. You can’t do this the night before and be successful.

Just like a packing list keeps you from overpacking, weigh ins keep you from over heavy.

Posted by
4675 posts

I'm a fan of light packing, but the best I've done is 18.5 lbs. I take four outfits, which include what I'm traveling in.

As for room for souvenirs , I make space by cleaning out my suitcase : I always plan to throw away a number of items at the end of my trip:
all of my underwear, sleep clothes, and 1-2 tops. [I save "Good Will" items for international travel]. I also plan my drugs and personal toiletries to be empty, so those containers can be thrown out or flattened.
It helps if you don't carry a purse and can use a small backpack for guide books, snacks, packable raincoat, et al. I use a light-weight Scottevest with inside pockets for my wallet, glasses, phone.

Enjoy your trip and safe travels!

Posted by
3207 posts

It's always nice to have a goal, but if the goal weight doesn't work for you in the end, so what? It was just a guideline. Frankly, I know what I want to bring with me and as long as I can handle my luggage I'm good. Generally, my wheeled carryon weighs 20-23 lbs...even if I've made it to 20 lbs first, there are always last minute items I throw in to enjoy. I also have a personal item that is 12 x 16 x 6 with my electronics and DSLR etc, meds, and a change of clothes as I usually check my carryon size wheelie. I know my PI is the size of some people's bags, but no thank you. My goal is to be able to lift my suitcase over my head, carry it easily up stairs while carrying my personal item as well. If I'm under 30 lbs total, I'm good. I like having comfort items with me. I weighed my clothes for one trip and missed items I removed, so never again am I trying to be extreme (for me). I want to be comfortable on my vacation and packing too light or small is not comfortable for me. To each their own, I understand the addiction of maybe wanting to have a very light bag, but I'm not into it and would rather have with me what I want to have with me. And I hardly think under 30 lbs for everything is packing in an outrageous manner. Just watch some minimalist you tube videos...talk about heavy bags! (I'm actually one who does pack heavier than when I was younger. I learned I want my toys.)

So as long as you are good maneuvering the bag, relax and have a great trip! I'm sure you will!

Posted by
347 posts

TODAY??!! I am able to travel with a 5 pound bag at 18 pounds total.

I would have suggested leaving at least one pair of pants and maybe 2. Three 'bottoms' are all you really need. I'd take only 4 tops. And take only the parts of the book you need. I am also mindful of the weight of what I take, so my tops are a few Icebreaker brand long and short sleeve t-shirts.

What you CAN do now that you are in PARIS is to leave behind: the book (weighs about a pound), shampoo, moisturizer. You will use up your meds.

I hope you don't see this for several days because you are too busy enjoying yourself! In fact, I hope you don't see it until you return home!

Posted by
3517 posts

My packed suitcase is always right at, not over, 20 pounds, but the bag itself only weighs 2 pounds. That includes all of everything I carry (electronics, medication, a extra day bag to use at my destination, everything). I buy the ebook version of the Rick Steve's travel guide so nothing to rip up and no extra weight.

So we tie? :-)

Posted by
27 posts

Haha thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I left it a little late to throw the clothes on my bed and check for coordination, but I did bite the bullet and rip into my tour book. Yes! It weighs a good pound!!!! Now it’s about half that. Maybe a personal bag that could carry camera gear plus all the little extras might have been handy, but I don’t plan to take everything with me on a daily basis. Most will be left at the hotel for the day, or in a day bag that’s left on the tour bus. A friend suggested for next time to try using bar shampoo and conditioner, rather than liquid. That might be a little space saving, although not much I’d imagine. Maybe they last longer than 50-100cc of liquid hair care does.

Anyway, it’s too late now. I’m on my way and am ridiculously excited. OMG Im heading to Paris!!

Posted by
8 posts

Hi Eleanor,
My husband and I just got back from Spain yesterday on a 10 day trip with carry-on wheel spinners. I could care less about weight and I don't know why anyone does. As someone mentioned, there are no weight restrictions. I would HIGHLY recommend Rick's ziplock bags for packing. We had 3 medium ones between us and I could have used one more for 2 each. You can squeeze SO much into those bags and basically flatten out your stuff to nothing. We always bring a knapsack each too for all things like cords, toiletries, RS book, Folder with all printed vouchers and reservations, iPad etc. Of course it is WAY easier to pack light in carry-on for summer travel - I could never do it for the winter. I had about 8 tops, 3 shorts, 3 pants, one blouse, 1 sweater, 1 zipper lightweight hoodie (which I lost in a hotel), 2 dresses, one pair sneakers for all day walking, one pair wedge sandals (which if you are walking around a lot of cobblestone streets I don't recommend) and a Cole Haan/Nike ballet "flat" that has a small wedge - super comfy for walking around in the evening.
Once we were in country, we expanded the bags for a little more room and I also used Rick's bag that he sells which folds up into a pouch. It was great for throwing in laundry.
When it was time to go home, we managed to squeeze everything back and even bought some souvenirs. It's possible. Good luck!
Linda

Posted by
2716 posts

Eleanor, have a great trip. Post a trip report when you get home, ok? I still have to do my trip report for Italy but I’ve only been home 1 1/2 weeks and sick the whole time. I share you excitement and enthusiasm.
Who cares what you packed or how much it weighs. There is no prize for packing the lightest. Or sink washing clothes every night because you only pack two days’ clothes. It’s all a learning curve. Next time you’ll know what worked and what didn’t. I made notes along the way as to what I would change. But it isn’t really that much. Maybe in two years when I plan to take my next RS Tour I will figure it all out.

Bon Voyage! Buon Viaggio!
Kathy

Posted by
1307 posts

Eleanor, have a wonderful time. Paris is my favorite city and all of France is glorious!
At some point, make a list of everything that you packed and then when you are home make notes on it and use it to plan for the next time. It will be obvious what you didn't need, what you wished you had brought instead, and what you had to buy.
I'll look forward to a trip report!
Happy trails

Posted by
139 posts

I start with my backpack, which weights less than a pound. I take 2 pair of pants but wear one on the plane. Then 6 light weight tops. Around 6 pairs of underwear and socks, 2 bras (one I wear on the plane) and I bring just one pair of shoes (the ones I wear on the plane). For toiletries I try to bring the bare minimum (moisturizer and sunscreen), makeup remover, decanted deodorant, etc.

I do bring makeup, that's where I "spend" more of my weight allowance, but even so I keep it under a pound because I decant everything I can.

I manage to keep it under 15 lb.

Posted by
5835 posts

Where am I going to put my souvenirs?????

Bring an empty light-weight duffel bag in your carry-on. Check clothing and non-fragile souvenirs in the duffel bag on our return.

https://www.rei.com/product/137647/rei-co-op-stuff-travel-print-duffel-50l
REI Co-op Stuff Travel Print Duffel – 50L
Dimensions 22 x 10.5 x 10.5 inches
Weight 9 ounces
Duffel stows in its own zippered pocket so you can stash it in your luggage or use it to carry home souvenirs and extra gear