Please sign in to post.

Packing “Lessons Learned” from one month in Europe

I promised to come back and post a “lessons learned” from using a backpack instead of my 2-wheel roller bag, plus packing in general. I began with two weeks in England & Wales with my husband, followed by the RS Best of the Adriatic Tour as a solo traveler.

First, the fun! New Purchases!

The items I specifically purchased for this trip:

• Cotopaxi Allpa 35L backpack - Pacific Blue color
  • Sherpani Camden bag - also a Pacific blue color (I cut off the backpack straps); used the tote handle & crossbody strap
  • Loopy - an iPhone cover with a secure rubber loop in the middle of the back, so I’m threading a finger through the loop while comfortably holding it. My daughter has one, and this helped my hand not cramp, plus being so secure for all of the Tube, taking photos, etc.
  • An inexpensive Timex watch with a white face & black hands. I’m retired! I don’t normally wear a watch now.
  • A travel size Ro&Co hair finish moisture/shine cream. A few months ago, I asked my hairdresser to remove all of my hair color since my natural color is now white. What a change, plus the new pixie haircut! But, it was SO easy for travel! I didn’t even need my comb, just a dab of finisher mixed in my wet hair, fingered into place, and no hair dryer needed. An added benefit - my husband said I was easier to find in a crowd - LOL!
  • A linen 3/4 sleeve button down shirt. Pam mentioned these, and I’ve never been a button down shirt person, but I wanted to avoid too much sun during the trip. I bought the colorful “paintbrush strokes” from Chicos to wear over a white sleeveless eyelet top I had, and it’s very pretty. I now have a lovely photo in the Bodnant Gardens rose garden wearing it.
  • I bought one new dress - the Royal Robbins Spotless Traveler Tank Dress in navy. I literally could have worn this dress every day! It washed & dried so quickly and felt great wearing it.

Packing:
Loved the Cotopaxi Allpa 35L! It was much easier to walk than leading a roller bag. I usually was waiting for my husband to catch up when we had our baggage (he has the previous style RS roller bag). I also really liked that I wasn’t picking it up with one shoulder/arm going up & down stairs at train stations as I had with my roller bag. I think the overall balanced feeling across both shoulders was better on my body.

I still feel like I wasn’t effectively using the front top zipper area. I ended up just placing items I rarely needed to access, plus I placed my nightie in that area to keep it handy & away from my cleanest clothes.

After all of my efforts weighing every packing cube, etc. preparing for this trip, I didn’t even need packing cubes for clothes. The bag’s clamshell that already has mesh zippers eliminated that need. Only my underwear was in the RS smallest old-time mesh bag (before he sold packing cubes). I liked the feature that I could open the side slot zipper access to grab my raincoat without opening the whole bag up - same for my itinerary papers in the laptop slot.

Shoes - only bring one or have an alternate? I brought a second pair of shoes - an Abeo sandal as a second pair of footwear besides my Keen Rose sandal. Each day that last week before my trip, I had the Abeo’s in & out of my packing list! It was just peace-of-mind that I had a backup pair, plus I would wear them in the evenings. Did I absolutely need them? No, but we did have perfect weather the whole time.

Clothing - I also had an extra dress that I really wanted to bring! I had two dresses packed and really wanted to bring this slightly more formal one for celebrating our 45th anniversary dinner, plus Afternoon Tea, and a symphony concert at Ljubljana. I ended up bringing it and enjoyed being able to dress up for those occasions, plus I wore it to a few Evensong services, the Victoria & Albert Museum day, other times for dinners and as an extra rotation during the hot days in Croatia.

Posted by
7294 posts

Since this is my longest trip - one month, I actually avoided looking in shops in England & Wales. I didn’t want to be tempted to buy something that would need to be carried for a long time as I move to my RS tour for the rest of the month. This wasn’t a big deal, but it might have been dangerous to stay an extra night in downtown Chester with all of the shops! If I was a shopper, I probably wouldn’t like the backpack.

What I missed: I really like my LLBean Toiletry organized bag! Unzip it, and everything was exactly in its spot. But, the LLBean is too heavy, so a lighter, smaller bag I had around the house was used.

One more negative that might be interpreted as a positive: every ounce counted when I was deciding what to bring because I wanted the Cotopaxi filled to be no more than 13 pounds - 11 or 12 would have been ideal. I’ve never spent so much time deciding what not to bring! In the end, I could have dropped two scarves and not missed them, but I am glad I brought the extra dress, even if it put me into the almost 13 pound range.

Will I use my Cotopaxi & Sherpani again and skip the wheels? Absolutely!

Posted by
4710 posts

Jean, I enjoyed reading this, so thanks for taking the time to share.
Where next?
Safe travels!

Posted by
497 posts

This is very easy to do in summer (pack light) but not in winter! I learned that the hard way last time in the UK. But I ended up buying my way out of it, which RS always tells you to do if you ever get in a situation where you need to. Anyway good tips. I can’t do a single pair of shoes and I too always bring one nice thing for special nights out. Cheers

Posted by
13946 posts

Jean! So happy to hear everything is working out well with your Cotopaxi!! I was thinking about you the other day because I was in one of the General Stores here in Yellowstone and they had both Cotopaxi packs and very cute Sherpani purses, lol!!

Did you wind up sending anything home with Dan?

Posted by
6323 posts

Jean, I knew if anyone could make it work, it would be you! It sounds like it was perfect - and I had to laugh when I read that you frequently left your husband and his roller bag behind. :)

And I'm so glad you decided to bring the celebration dress - woo hoo!!! That's nice that you were able to wear it several other places, too!

Which front top zipper area do you mean? The very top one with the mesh pocket inside? I wound up using that for dirty clothes sometimes, but if I didn't have any, then I put things that I might need to pull out quickly, like my rain jacket.

Posted by
7294 posts

Pam, the only things I sent home with Dan were two English tea towels & a flat Christmas ornament. He added a box of golf balls to his suitcase and a golf towel from Wallasey. The extra golf balls were due to him playing very well on both courses and not leaving them in the rough someplace.

Posted by
7294 posts

Mardee,

The front top zipper is the one that it sounds like you used for dirty clothes, etc. I have my sunglasses, six home Covid tests, and plenty of room for my nightie.

I use an Eagle Creek flat shoe bag for my laundry. Since it lies flat, I place it over my clean clothes on the big right side area when the Cotopaxi is open. Then I fold any worn clothes, currently my pants, on top of it. That keeps my clean clothes separate from something I’ve worn that is still clean enough to wear again. And, I wash clothes every other or sometimes an item each night. The blue dress dries very fast, so it was fine to wash even for a one-night stop.

I’ve been keeping my rain jacket rolled up as the lowest item when I’m standing up in that big section that has the zipper side access option. Fortunately, it’s mostly been staying inside the bag! 😊

Posted by
9583 posts

Jean, I have been so curious wondering how you would like your Cotopaxi. I do love a good packing post, so thank you so much for writing up this report. I am so glad you enjoyed your new backpack !! And it sounds like you really were able to take everything you needed.

I am currently visiting my brother and his family in LA, and we went into REI, where I spied the 42 L version of your bag so I was able to look at it and its various pockets etc. How I wish I could travel so light, and use such a bag.

Thank you again, and again, so glad it worked so well for you !

Posted by
7294 posts

Cchapin100, yes, it’s important to be warm when needed. Taking care of yourself needs to be the first priority! I have packed similar for some colder conditions but removed dresses from my list for more pants & layers. We had a Switzerland/Italy trip one year when it was cold in Switzerland, so I also added tights and micro-thin thermal underwear that kept me warm without adding too much weight in the suitcase.

Posted by
7294 posts

Pat, I’m thinking about a couple of weeks of independent travel in Italy in Umbria, etc.

Posted by
3207 posts

Jean, I'm impressed! I will need to think about how you did it. Only my Camino day hiking gear weighed 10-12 lbs. Had I not transported the rest, my bag would have weighed at least 18 lbs...too much for me to carry for miles. I do love Cotopaxi, which I use for my camera...well there's 2.5 lbs right there...not giving it up!

But you have me thinking now...if I used my Sherpani also, and put 5 lbs in there...for a regular trip, not a Camino, that might work. I hate to have my bag forever just hanging in the closet. How much did your Sherpani weigh in transit?

Posted by
3245 posts

Jean - I Googled the Royal Robbins Spotless Traveler Tank Dress, and I have to say I love it.

I would buy one, but there's an excellent chance I would never actually wear it, based on the handful of yet-to-be-worn dresses already in my closet.

Posted by
2027 posts

Jean--I am really trying to restrain myself from buying that pack;) It looks wonderful, but I already have so many suitcases, etc, but the raspberry color is calling me. I am trying to justify buying it, lol.

Posted by
195 posts

Jean, I enjoyed your report. I’ve been looking at that same Cotopaxi backpack for a while now. Based on your post, I just ordered one. Last year I purchased the Osprey pack that was 40 L but I returned it because when I packed it, it was a bit too heavy for me. I like the idea of hands free travel. I hope this smaller pack works for me.
Vanessa

Posted by
7294 posts

Wray, I think my Sherpani was 3-4 pounds filled. My purse is inside it, my 2nd sandals in a bag in the bottom, and the Purell individual sanitizers, and coffee sticks in front pockets.

Posted by
7294 posts

Vanessa R, I hope you like it! I weighed all of my options for clothes and packed some of the lighter ones. If it helps, I place my clothes on the right side as it is open, and my raincoat and toiletry kit on the bottom of that side. I wanted to have my heaviest/bulkiest items as close to my back as possible. Then the lighter items are on the left side. Itinerary papers go in the laptop slot.

Posted by
192 posts

Jean, thanks for this helpful report! It sounds like keeping the weight down is key for comfortably using the Cotopaxi backpack. I could see how it would work well in that case. Quick question - when you were wearing the backpack, did you generally carry the Sherpani by the tote handles or as a crossbody? I have to be careful of pulling on my shoulder and neck when carrying a crossbody. Thanks again!

Posted by
7294 posts

Hi Sharon, for the Sherpani, I carried it crossbody when I was walking through airports or whenever I wanted a little extra protection that I had the bag secure. Otherwise, taking it from the hotels to the rental car, or where there were no people near me, I just carried it with the small tote handles.

Posted by
7294 posts

Just finished the first week of the RS Adriatic tour, too, and these two bags are my new favorites! I keep the Sherpani at my feet in the RS tour bus and just place my purse inside it when we’re arriving at a hotel. Cotopaxi on my back, Sherpani with tote handles, and it’s easy to walk up the stairs at the hotels.

We had one location where we needed to leave our bag at the hotel lobby to be picked up by a van, so I just moved my toiletry kit to the bottom of the Sherpani and walked it down the hill myself. There was plenty of room in that bag for it, and I didn’t want to chance the small risk of having a necessary prescription lost.

Posted by
13946 posts

Thanks for the on-the-go report, Jean! I'm glad your system is working out!

Posted by
195 posts

Jean, I wanted to let you know, I received my Allpa 35 L this week. I ordered the Raspberry color and I love it. I loaded it up, about 10 lbs, and walked around for a while with it on my back. I think it’s going to work great for my next trip this September. I already had those two Sherpani bags, so I think I’m set. This past May, I was on the Best of South England tour and decided to take my spinner bag. What a mistake! It doesn’t work at all on any surface other than airport floors. It was a big pain, so I’m happy to go hands free this next trip.
Thanks for the recommendation.
Vanessa

Posted by
6323 posts

Jean, so glad it's still working out for you! I still haven't eliminated mine from future travel. My daughter is using it on her upcoming road trip with her family, but I would like to use it for a road trip. I could definitely see it being easier to take it in and out of hotels and getting it in and out of cars. I do love that bag - it's so beautiful and so organized!