Please sign in to post.

Packing for Italy

Just wondering if white capri's are all right to wear in Italy in June? We have traveled in May before and found it was much warmer then we expected. I have some sun dresses and skorts. I really like to wear capri's, I just can't remember what everyone was wearing. Thanks a lot in advance.

Posted by
27039 posts

I would not wear white below the waist. You'll be brushing against walls, possibly sitting on steps, etc. Those white pants may never be clean again.

I don't see anything wrong with the capri length, however.

Posted by
1194 posts

Style - wise yes.

The real issue is the dirt. You’re traveling, sitting down on lots of surfaces, eating out. The probability of dirt is high. Washing is limited, and you only pack so many clothes. The ability to rewear white on a second day is pretty close to zero.

If you do bring it I would suggest a synthetic blend. It will wash more easily than a denim or cotton pant.

Personally, I love the look of a white Capri. That said, I rarely take it on vacation.

Posted by
4150 posts

I agree with acraven. I never wear white on top or on bottom. The marinara always hits the shelf and no matter where you sit, it will leave a mark on your white pants.

Posted by
3961 posts

Capri's are my favorites in warm weather, perfect for Italy. Although I like white pants, I leave them at home. I don't wear white on a plane either! My go to is black & gray, mix & match. Enjoy Italy!

Posted by
13891 posts

Hahaha...vote #5 for capris but not white! Go with black, navy or gray, whatever works with your other colors in your capsule wardrobe. I'd probably take 2 capris unless you are taking some dresses. Skorts would be a problem if you were visiting a church on that day.

I ~always~ take a white tee shirt and ~always~ wonder why!! Unless it's cold and it's covered up (not likely in Italy in June!) I only get 1 maybe 2 wears out of it whereas a darker colored tee I can wear at least 3 times before sink washing. Somehow they still look a little grubby after a sink wash too. What's in my stack of things to pack for my next trip in less than 2 weeks? Yes...a white tee, lolol!! I can't help myself. My favorite outfit of my current capsule wardrobe is gray jeans, white tee, cobalt sweater and white/black/gray scarf.

Posted by
1194 posts

Skorts would be a problem if you were visiting a church on that day.

This is highly dependent on the skort. Some look exactly like skirts and have sewn in panties. I have several that are knee length and totally OK for a church.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks everyone. You’re all right, never thought about getting dirty! I’ll go with Khaki then. Great reminders. I appreciate the suggestions.

Posted by
996 posts

OMG, I'm so relieved to learn that I'm not the only one who shies away from wearing white when I travel. There's dust. Dirt. Mud. Wine. Coffee. Sauces. Gelato. Etc., etc., etc.

Thanks for posting this thread!!!

Posted by
444 posts

I agree with others-I love capris and wear my white ones often at home but Italy is not a good place for white LOL. If the ancient ruins don't get you, the red sauce will! :)

Posted by
540 posts

I rarely wear white, even at home! It never fails that when I wear white, something spills on it. Maybe it's just me!

I wore capris when traveling in Italy. Just pick lightweight, breathable material. Stay away from denim.

My summer travel colors are sand and black, and everything revolves around that. So, one pair of tan capris and one of black for me.

Posted by
211 posts

I wore a white cotton skirt that hit below my knee to Italy in July. Loved it, so light and cool and I sat down whenever and wherever needed and it fit the bill for church entry. Not an issue at all and I was the coolest as we had near 100 degrees 2 of the 3 weeks there. The only spill we had the whole trip was on the flight over to Italy, flight attendant dumped my sons food down his shirt. never got the stain out, had to throw the shirt out. Wear what you are comfortable in and stains happen and most of the time it is completely beyond your control.

Posted by
973 posts

I wore a white skirt while in Italy and it never got dirty, but I only wore it twice. I also,don’t drink red wine, so that helped! I say take it, just don’t plan on it being a skirt you travel in, or plan on wearing all the time. I took a couple outfits meant for just a couple occasions and don’t regret it.

Posted by
1407 posts

Can I be vote #6 for non white capris? I'm so short that off the rack capris hit me about 2 inches above the ankle bone. Mine are dark beige and dark gray, wore them all over Italy and Slovenia. If I don't drop my own food, I sit in some one else's. Story of my life.

Posted by
144 posts

I guess I stand alone when I say I took my white capris on the Best of Switzerland tour.. I wore them three or four times. I took a tiny nail brush and cleaned one spot once. Rinse them out another night. I carefully planned when I would wear them. It was summer and they just looked so nice and fresh.. and of course went with everything.
I also took a very thin pair of black leggings and wore them much more but washed them after each day because they were hot much hotter than the white capris..
I took one skirt and one sundress. I wore sundress as dress one day and another day wore a T-shirt on top and it looked like skirt and T-shirt.

I was happy with my choices.
Enjoy your trip.
Sue

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks again for all the responses. I have changed my choice numerous times since this post. I am not going to take the white capri's. I've decided on two golf skorts (they come to my knee), black and khaki. It is a very light weight material. I will still take a white sleeveless blouse that I can use if I want to dress up the black skort a bit. All my travel choices are light weight fabric that I can hand wash and wear. I think I am just about ready for this trip. Thanks again and Happy Travels to All!