Please sign in to post.

Packing cubes

Hi everyone. View Your Deal (yes, I watch the View) has lightweight combined packing cubes/garment bag and packable totes from Rume half price thru tomorrow 7/10. I ordered one today and for $15 it’s worth a test pack, won’t lose anything except a couple Starbucks if I don’t like it. If you’re interested here’s the website: https://viewyourdeal-rume.com/

Edit: to avoid confusion, the packing cubes are attached to the garment bag and all fold into what looks like a carry on size packet. I started using RS packing cubes last year and really like them. But am open to new ideas. Don’t know how these will work. Maybe yes, maybe no. I also ordered the matching zippered pouch to use for electronic cords and chargers.

Posted by
2375 posts

I don't see separate packing cubes? The attached cubes/garment bag thing doesn't look useful to me.

Posted by
2788 posts

In our 17 trips to Europe, we have used RS packing cubes ever since they became available and we swear by their convenience in packing and traveling especially when you have to change sleeping quarters as you so often do on RS tours.

Posted by
4850 posts

I don't see packing cubes. Just a garment bag with organizer compartments. Way too bulky for me. I'll stick with my various sizes of separate cubes.

Posted by
7279 posts

The smaller zipper baggies are cute fabric patterns!

I use two RS mesh packing cubes for clothes and three flat graduated-sizes bright colored thicker mesh zipper bags. The advantage is that I can see the contents inside each which helps not leave anything behind at the hotel. The small red one is for my charger cords, Apple shuffle & EarPods, the green one envelops my iPad/cover, and the largest purple one is perfect for my itinerary papers.

Posted by
3961 posts

Like the looks of the baggies and the totes. Really sold on our RS tried and true packing cubes. I like Jean's idea of color coding bags. Thanks all for sharing!

Posted by
2252 posts

I don't dare look at these as I am afraid I might like them and I have enough packing cubes to outfit my entire little village! I like packing cubes and I like Rick Steves products but I prefer Eagle Creek's cubes as they come in a variety of colors and I can tell what I've packed where when they are in my bag (habit...). They also come in a better variety of size and shape choices. The cube I like best is two sided; one side has a regular mesh cover but the other is waterproof.

Posted by
5697 posts

Oh, horsewoofie, are you trying to bankrupt me? I hear "packing cubes" and I lose all control. I had been looking at the Rume packing system earlier and at $29.99 was able to restrain myself ... but not today. And I had just yesterday walked into my favorite charity thrift store where three packing cubes jumped off the shelf into my arms (at $3 each, who could say no ??)

Posted by
2731 posts

Laura, I'm a firm believer if you find something you think you'll like buy two because it won't be available when you want another. So I actually bought two Rume packing systems and two matching pouches, one set for me and one set for my sister-in-law or ??. I bought 5 each of two mini-herb gardens on View Your Deal -- great Christmas stocking stuffers plus my kitchen window looks naked without the plants I killed.

Posted by
10 posts

Are these bags an improvement on RS mesh bags? I’m skeptical as they look bulky. The first time I traveled to Europe without any mesh bags I had a hard time locating an item I needed from the stack of clothes in my bag.. I’d Invariably pull out the wrong item and then would have difficulty getting the item neatly back in place.. My daughter then told me about RS mesh bags and ithey instantly changed my travel life! I just wish he made each bag in a different bright color so I could instantly pick out the bag that holds my tops etc.

Debster, Wal-Mart sells cheap, nylon ditty (small cinch) bags in the camping section in different colors. They are small. Packing cubes like Ebags brand - Ebags.com work really well. There are many brands like eagle creek and pro pack. Stay with cubes that are 3 inches thick or thinner. Better for compression and still can fit your rolled clothes or non-rolled -as you prefer.

Posted by
5697 posts

FYI, the $5 packable totes are sold out, even the plain black ones.

Posted by
156 posts

I bought one of these Rume packing systems about a year ago. Which is unusual for me, as I saw it on Facebook and am used to a lot of overpriced, crowdfunded stuff there, but this looked pretty decent for the price. So I took a chance.

It's not a bad little system, actually, if you're not looking for compressed cubes. Basically, it's a set of packing cubes sewn together in a foldable unit that acts as a hanging garment bag when opened, and hangs in a closet. It's pretty easy to pack--you just lay it out on a bed and stuff items in the various cubes. The unit is then folded and placed in a carryon bag. Overall, pretty lightweight, though I haven't compared the overall weight to my other "standalone" packing cubes.

The other side of the unit acts as a garment bag, which will hold a suit or two at most. I've only used it for a sportcoat, and it obviously added to the bulk of the bag. I think maybe two dresses for a woman or one suit and dress shirt for a guy would make it with this unit, depending on how much other stuff you're carrying.

I've tried the Rume system on 18 to 22 inch carryons. In the 18 inch bag, it was too big, but it works fine in a 21 or 22 inch bag depending on if, or how much, "hanging" items you're carrying.

There aren't any real advantages over standalone packing cubes, and as stated, it's no good if you prefer compression cubes. But for the price, I like it, and it's kind of neat being able to just hang the unit in a closet when you get to the hotel.