Please sign in to post.

packing cubes

How many packing cubes fit in the rolling carry-on? I bought one set, but can't do a test pack because I haven't bought everything to fill them. Since they're on sale, I wonder if I need more. Or should I buy a slim compression cube to fit between the handle rails on the bottom for things that won't get used as often, i.e. swimsuit, bras, dress, and use the RS cubes for the frequently worn everyday clothes?
Your experience is always appreciated. Thanks,
Kathy

Posted by
23281 posts

There is no answer. We use one packing envelope for all folded items, one medium packing cube for a bunch of loose, bulky items, and hand full of zip lock bags for everything else. We have never found the packing cubes to be that useful. Much prefer gallon and two gallon zip lock bags as easier, cheaper, and more convenient Personal preference.

Posted by
16893 posts

Rick's set of 3 cubes is intended to pretty much fill up the rolling carry-on. Of course, the bag has other pockets for various shapes and you're probably going to fill it enough that nothing rattles around much, even if not encased. I don't roll all of my clothes but a dress is an example of something that I'd roll on its own to place between those rails or on the side of the bag, without a compression device. (A bra is not a good example, unless it's wireless.)

Posted by
15062 posts

Look at the math......the complete packing set (1 large, 2 small) are (combined) 22" x 14/16" x 5". The Carry On bag is 21 x 14 x 9.

Part of the 9" is in the lid. You will need to "scrunch" the three cubes you have now to make them fit. More RS cubes won't fit.

Which Slim compression cubes are you looking at. Some are wider than the area between the handles. Get out your tape measure.

I just put small items of clothing (socks, undies, etc) in loose between the rails and packing cubes on top to keep them in place. My shirts, pants and sweaters are in cubes (not the RS ones). Smaller, miscellaneous items are either in sacs or strong ziploc type bags. And, of course, a toiletry kit.

No worries! Packing cubes are nice, organizational extras. You will get many opinions here. Depends on how much you want to spend and experiment with different cubes. There's lots of different sizes. First, you can pack a suitcase WITHOUT cubes. So, just use your cubes as best you can. You can pack some items outside of the cubes. I have my favorites for packing which I learned after multiple trips.

Posted by
10228 posts

I have the rolling carry on and my set of 3 RS cubes (1 lg & 2 sm) fit perfectly. I don't go anywhere without using packing cubes, even if I'm just packing a tote bag for the weekend.

Posted by
2133 posts

Hi Kathy, one set is all you need. I put pants in first. Then I pack a sweater and tops in the large cube, T-shirts (rolled) in a small one, and underwear in the other small one. I haven't had much luck with compression bags, I just use zip lock bags for everything else.

Posted by
11613 posts

I fill the 3-cube set and it pretty much fills the 20" rolling carryon, with room to place flat items beneath and on top of the cubes.

I also use a small cube for things that go into the Civita or Ravenna daybag.

Posted by
208 posts

I believe the RS cubes were designed to fit perfectly in his convertable carry-on. I used to use those and those cubes. However, we've moved to the Rolling Carry-on, and the dimensions are smaller, so those cubes just don't fit the same way.

I bought cubes... I wish I could remember where -- online, maybe Magellen's or TravelSmith... they are smaller in dimensions. Still mesh (very light), and a pack of 3 was made of 1 "large", and 2 "small".

THEY fit perfectly. However, they are shallower. So, I bought ANOTHER set of 3, and I double stack them! I use various combinations (2 smalls = 1 large). Sometimes I double stack one end, as I have shoes on top of the 1 depthed (is that a word?) cube. I tend to only use one large one, as I separate my stuff more using smaller ones (including "gear" and stuff).

Also, I pack them according to how I will be accessing my things. i.e. We've gone to Europe 3 times recently for a Med. cruise. During the cruise, I unpack all the actual clothing. However, we go early, and we might move around for a few days pre-cruise. I will pack one cube with just the clothes I will need for the pre-time, and I will work out of the cube, like a drawer. Or put it in a drawer. Those clothes I usually roll, individually inside the cube for easy identification, access, and it's always almost completely packed, ready to plop into my suitcase and go.

My cruise clothes, though, I tend to bundle-pack - inside the cubes. It's easier to unpack that way, hang them up, or put them in the drawers on board the ship.

I wouldn't go away for a WEEKEND without using cubes, now! LOL.

Vivian

Posted by
15820 posts

Kathy, don't overthink it? I can't imagine needing more than one set of cubes, and you can use some loose items to fill in any holes. Plastic zip-lock bags (good for toiletries that might leak), the clear, zip packaging pillow cases and sheets come in, and small mesh laundry bags for lingerie work just fine for an assortment of things as well.

I bought mesh cubes at Target and TJ Maxx so if you think you need more, there are probably some you can pick up locally.

Posted by
1413 posts

I picked up a couple of zipper pencil pounches at office max on clearance for 50 cents each. A clear front, gusseted bottoms....would be great for the dry items beyond the 311 bag, or to organize extras in a day bag.

Posted by
524 posts

Just bought my first cubes. I don't want them when I use my 20" because I can get more in without them...I roll tight, everything is snug, and I have all the little empty spaces to use.

However, I find I think I'll really like them for checked luggage. I never quite fill it and my rolled clothes loosen, unwind a bit. The packing cubes keep them in place and orderly.

I use ziplock bags for many things, but the packing cubes are great for this need.

Yes, I check luggage (ok, stop rolling your eyes). When I go somewhere in the states, and don't have to go from place to place, I like to bring more outfits with the shoes I like to wear. It makes me happy.

Lulu,
Many of us check luggage. There are good reasons for it. Also, there are times when we use larger luggage rather than just carry-on. Again, there are good reasons for it. Do what works for you!