Please sign in to post.

Osprey 38L wheelie $100 @ REI (details below)

Can you wait just one more week to buy your next rolling carryon?

REI members only, REI Outlet's "Deal Of The Day", Sunday July 11, 2021 ONLY.
Ozone Global 38 liter two-wheeled carryon in black or blue.
Regularly $220, currently marked down to $145 at the REI Outlet, and this bag drops to $100 for one day only (2021.07.11) or while supplies last.

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/193517/osprey-ozone-global-carry-on-wheeled-luggage-38-liters195

Several other good deals on travel bags at The REI Outlet including soft and hard suitcases and packs from Osprey, Timbuk2, and Gregory.

Posted by
3951 posts

I’m a little bit tempted and the 11th is my birthday 😀. I’ve never used luggage with a single handle pull but I remember a rolling duffel bag with a 6” pull handle I briefly used. I hated it flip flopping at every little curb and step. Anyone have experience with a single shaft handle and it’s ease of pulling over obstacles?

Posted by
1259 posts

The advantages of the various styles of wheeled luggage might be a separate topic but single handles remain a popular alternative to two-handled wheelies because they have less hardware, slightly less mass, and slightly more interior space at the possible expense of less maneuverability. be sure to read the user reviews of these bags. Both Eagle Creek and Osprey make single handles.

Posted by
325 posts

The dimensions of this bag are listed as 20x16x8. That will not comply with United or Delta 22x14x9 on the width....meaning it will not fit in the airport sizers for carry-on.

Posted by
325 posts

Regarding my previous post on the size of this product: The total linear inches of this bag is 44, and as an example--Delta's limit is 45. Has anyone been successful in convincing any airline that their bag is legal (does not exceed the linear measurement) even if it doesn't fit in the sizer?

Posted by
1259 posts

Has anyone been successful in convincing any airline that their bag is legal (does not exceed the linear measurement) even if it doesn't fit in the sizer?

You should be able to find many similar stories elsewhere in the Packing sub forum with a bit of searching, topic comes up every now and then. Some airlines, yes. Others, no. Depends on the time of day, airline regulations and eagerness to charge extra, and the moods of the gate staff. If you are going to be flying airlines with known strict enforcement or those budget outfits, you may want to focus on bags that are specifically marketed as "International carryon".

My Aeronaut 45L is a bit too large for international sizers but it looks quite small, especially if not overpacked. Many A45 users on other travel and one-bag forums report they've never been sized. Your mileage, etc.

Posted by
4154 posts

Well, rats! I just ordered this 19.5x16x8 bag in blue on Saturday and it's due to arrive on Wednesday.

I've been an REI member since 1987. I wonder if I could get the $43 difference refunded to my CC or as store credit? Truth be told, being sure to get the blue color is worth the extra money to me.

I debated long and hard with myself about the 16" vs 14" width. I typically fly Delta and it's been impossible to get an answer by phone or chat about whether the 45" total is okay or if the 16" width won't fit in the overhead bins. I plan to take the bag to the Tucson airport and consult the Delta folks there about it.

I want to believe that the Delta 45" listing is for non-US travelers whose luggage may fit that requirement, but may not be the exact same dimensions as US standard carry-ons. If it works for them, why wouldn't it work for me?

That 16" carry-on width is common in Europe and for European airlines, including British Airways (22x18x10) and Aer Lingus (21.5x15.5x9.5), the 2 main options for my flight to Dublin and return from London next summer.

Below is a link to 2021 carry-on dimensions and weight limits for many airlines around the world. It gives the detail, but verification with the airlines' websites is always a good idea. https://upgradedpoints.com/travel/airlines/carry-on-luggage-size-chart/

Posted by
4154 posts

Delta said yes!

I received my beautiful new blue Osprey Ozone Global Carry-On 38L wheeled bag late last Wednesday (7/7). I finally managed to take it to the Tucson airport a week later (7/14) to see if it would be okay for Delta carry-on. And to find out if the 16" width would fit on edge in the overhead bin like is the preferred loading method.

The answer to both questions is yes, or at least it was at the time I was there and according to the 3 agents I talked to.

I noticed that the little wall on the scale side of the ticket counter had a drawing of the size guide for bags. There were the 22x14x9 dimensions. And there was another, unlabeled, line 2" higher than the line marked 14." They set my bag on its side, looked at the drawing and said it was fine.

Since the bag is only 20" tall, it will easily fit the length of any typical US airline enclosed sizer. At 8" deep, it will slide in and out easily, too. But at 16" wide, it will stick up a bit.

If I decide to fly British Airways (from Phoenix) next summer there will be no issues at all with this 20x16x8 bag. Their carry-on size is 22x18x10.

Posted by
11178 posts

The answer to both questions is yes, or at least it was at the time I was there and according to the 3 agents I talked to.

Hopefully one of those agents will be at the gate when you actually want to fly.

Posted by
1259 posts

I received my beautiful new blue Osprey Ozone Global Carry-On 38L wheeled bag late last Wednesday (7/7). I finally managed to take it to the Tucson airport a week later (7/14) to see if it would be okay for Delta carry-on. And to find out if the 16" width would fit on edge in the overhead bin like is the preferred loading method.

Don't you just love getting new toys?

Here in Boise, Idaho, it's been 95-110F, with heavy smoke in the valley from nearby fires, for more than two weeks, and another ten days of such in the forecast. (I can handle the dry heat for a while but the smoke? Nope.) To keep from going nuts, I've been repacking and rechecking all my travel stuff. Tried to figure out if I could get my standard 45L load (More like 40L, uncompressed, so there's plenty of extra room) into a 30L bag. Not quite. I'd need to eliminate 8L of bulk but it's all stuff I could easily acquire on the other end.

Did I say this bit earlier in the thread? My Tom Bihn Aeronaut 45 just does not LOOK very big, especially if it's not stuffed. Many other TB-A45 users report its illusion of bantam dimension is quite convincing and the bag is rarely questioned or sized, even on the more demanding budget airlines.

Posted by
2 posts

“I'd need to eliminate 8L of bulk but it's all stuff I could easily acquire on the other end.“
My problem is I then need to figure out how to accommodate the things I purchase at my first destination. That works fine if I’m only staying in one place, but I generally travel to multiple locations - sometimes by plane - and then have the problem all over again. This is where it becomes helpful traveling with a good friend (ie my husband) who doesn’t mind sharing a bit of suitcase space. I’m a rather large person so even packing an extra pair of size 12 shoes becomes an issue.

Posted by
4154 posts

The Osprey is an alternative to the Eagle Creek International carry-on I already have. That one is expandable 37-40L. I've never used it expanded, so the 38L Osprey should accommodate my usual stuff. It will be interesting to learn how to pack its significantly different shape and structure.

My husband doesn't join me on my trips to Europe these days, so I have no one to share with. Fortunately, my shoes are only size 10. I wear the heaviest and biggest ones almost all the time, but stubbonly pack a 2nd pair of very light flats in case I might want to "dress up."

I used to be much larger than I am now, so I'm also curious as to how my 2-3 sizes smaller clothing will pack no matter which bag I take. Except for a rain jacket and fleece for the weather in Ireland and Wales, I won't take more garments than normal and expect the bag to be lighter than in the past. We'll see.

Posted by
425 posts

I have the only slightly larger (but narrower) Osprey Ozone 42 liter two-wheeled carryon. I got it for Christmas, 2019, so have only had a couple of chances to use it. It is so light and holds a surprisingly large amount of items (I use both regular and compression packing cubes). The single telescoping handle is kind of a pain but it is a trade off I am willing to make. One of the main reasons I bought the Osprey Ozone was because of its large and rugged wheels. The wheels of my old four wheel roller bag broke from over-usage on cobblestones. After that experience, I wanted something that could hold up to uneven terrain and cobblestones and although I haven't had a chance to test the Osprey in those conditions, I think it will hold up just fine.

BTW, the Ozone Global 38 liter two-wheeled carryon is still on sale, for $142.73.

Posted by
1259 posts

Thanks, slws2137, for continuing the thread by adding your experience with Osprey's products.

This topic sort of bled into the Eagle Creek Demise thread as some product comparisons were made. I was in a big department store today (Dillard's) and all of their Eagle Creek stuff was still at full list price while the luggage shop at the mall had begun marking down everything in the EC range, starting at 10-20%.

Posted by
425 posts

bogiesan, Target (online) has the Eagle Creek Wayfinder 12L, 30L and 40 L backpacks, all discounted from Eagle Creek's list price. They also have a fairly large amount of packing cubes discounted, too. I purchased several Eagle Creek packing and compression cubes about a month ago and given my packing accessory addiction, might end up purchasing more while Target still has them.

Posted by
1259 posts

Maybe one last comment.

In the States, Target seems to have become Eagle Creek's liquidation agent. when you search for EC products at Targt's website, you see in the fine print that Eagle Creek is the fulfillment/shipkping merchant for orders placed through Target. Items are selling out quickly. The most popular items are long gone.