Please sign in to post.

Normandy in June 2024

Hello! I’m travelling to Normandy for the first week of June for the 80th anniversary of D-Day. I’m looking for advice on what to pack, I’ll be staying at a hotel along the coast and I’ll be travelling with a tour company for the week and mainly visiting the D-Day beaches and museums. Should I be packing more sweater and long pants or shorts and t-shirts? What is the weather typically like in early June?

Also any advise from those who have gone to previous D-Day ceremonies on what to expect would be greatly appreciated!

Posted by
27591 posts

Coastal Normandy is often coolish and overcast (or rainy) even in the middle of summer, so you should have a warm layer of some sort (I have a light fleece jacket) and a waterproof layer (I use a rain jacket). It's very unlikely to be really cold, but the coastal wind could be unpleasant on a cool, rainy day if you got soaked to the skin. For that part of Europe, I'm a fan of waterproof shoes (many others would declare them overkill) and 97% nylon pants that sort of shed water without being waterproof.

Unfortunately, due to climate change, there's a slight possibility you'll encounter a rather hot day or two--though it's probably much more likely to occur later in the month. I see Bayeux hit 90F on June 25, 2023, for example.

I don't trust monthly averages when planning my packing list. Averages hide extremes, and it's the extremes that can make you uncomfortable. I like to look at the actual, historical, day-by-day weather statistics available on the website timeanddate.com. The data normally goes back at least 10 years, and I usually check the most recent 5 years.

Bayeux weather -- June 2023

Use the pull-down box at the right, just above the graph, to change the month/year displayed. Use the Search box to display information for a different location.

Posted by
5312 posts

As for your question about what to expect for the D Day ceremonies- since it's a big one this year, expect very high crowds everywhere. And if your tour doesnt include all meals, make reservations in advance for any dinners on your own.

Posted by
79 posts

We were there last year the first two weeks in June. The weather was really cool ( lows in the low 40s), windy (up to 39 mph), and rainy. Have a great time but take warm clothes. Its a very emotional place to be especially for those who had family members who were in WWII.

Posted by
19 posts

My husband and I were in Normandy for the D-day commemorations in 2016. I agree with the above comments about weather conditions and the variability. We were on Omaha Beach for the U.S. ceremony, including getting to shake the hands of veterans attending, and then made it in time for the Canadian ceremonies at Juno Beach. Both were very moving and experiences I'll never forget.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you everyone for such detailed and thoughtful responses! I will take them all into consideration when packing.

Posted by
9991 posts

The Normandy American Cemetery will be closed on June 5, and only open on June 6 to ticket holders for the official ceremony to be held there.

So be sure to take that into account when planning (for anyone who comes across this thread).

Their website information about this :

https://www.abmc.gov/d-day80