I've been working at traveling light. Lately I've been traveling with just a personal under-seat item. I've been using the Patagonia lightweight travel tote. The main compartment is 16L, though the bag is advertised as 22L. It only weighs 14 oz. I really like the bag, but it isn't quite the perfect bag for me. I've been looking around for a better bag, but haven't found it yet. That's where I need your help. Maybe you've seen my perfect bag?
- Size must be between 16L to 22L. Up to 25L considered, if it fits airline under seat specs
- Weight must be under 2 lb
- Single main compartment
- Clamshell or book opening
- Must be rectilinear - no curved packs, please
- Must fit under the airline aisle seat so that limits it to 19x14x8 in.
Strongly desired features
- Stowable straps
- Lightweight hip strap and sternum strap
- lockable zippers
- internal storage pocket for valuable items
- an external pocket I can use for liquids etc.
- internal tie down straps
- Small pocket for pens and wallet
- lightweight storage area in lid of clamshell/lbook opening - similar to the rick steves lid pocket.
In case you've noticed, I'm basically looking for something similar to my Patagonia pack but slightly larger and with a clamshell opening. Ideally, both the main opening and outer pocket opening would be clamshell for easy access. I do not want a computer pocket because a) I rarely bring a laptop - I can do most things from my phone and b) when I bring a notebook I use a separate laptop sleeve for protection and c) I think computer pockets add weight to the bag.
If you've seen my perfect bag, could you let me know?
Update: added bag dimensions