Please sign in to post.

Locking checked bags

Do any of you lock your checked bags? Thanks.

Posted by
3207 posts

I don't bother. I secure the two zipper pulls together with a quilting pin (large safety pin) so the zipper(s) don't accidentally open in transit.

Posted by
23267 posts

The TSA lock is ONLY good in the US. There has been reports here that the TSA locks have simply been ripped off with damage to the zipper. I would not use it. We use plastic wire ties to secure our zippers when checking bags. If you do use tie, be use to carry something to cut them. I put a large toe nail clipper in an unsecured outside pocket so that I can cut it when I arrive.

Posted by
14507 posts

No, but if I did, I would be certain to use a TSA approved lock otherwise TSA will just go ahead and break your lock. Nothing I pack is of value to anyone else, no electronic gear, camera, etc.

Posted by
8375 posts

I use some yellow plastic ties designed for this purpose that I got from Amazon. Not really designed to “lock” the bag, but it does hold the zipper pulls together until the tie is broken and gives me an instant head’s up that my bag has been opened. Works very well for me.
One particularly nice feature is that I don’t need scissors to open them at my destinations

Posted by
13937 posts

I quit locking mine when my brother and SIL both had a cable lock fail on the same trip. The SIL's happened at the Seattle airport when she started to get something out of her bag and the lock would not open. She and I went to about a dozen stores looking to borrow scissors to see if we could cut it off. Finally the extremely awesome clerk at the Ex Officio store had scissors and got it off for us. My brother's failed when he tried to open his at the hotel in Ireland. The front desk loaned him pliers and said it happens all the time. I got mine off without incident but it went in to the trash. They were Lewis & Clark brand double cable locks.

Now I just use a carabiner to hold the zips closed covered by a luggage strap. I don't pack anything of value in there, just want to make sure the zippers don't get caught on something and dump my unmentionables out on the carousel at baggage claim!!

Posted by
23267 posts

I love the utube video. It pops up every time this subject is raised. Sure zippers can be forced open in exactly the same way the bag can be cut open. But if you immobilize the zipper pulls, they cannot hide or re-zipper the zipper. They can break into the bag but cannot cover it up.

Posted by
2788 posts

I have been flying often for more than 30 years and have always used a TSA approved lock since they became available. I have had my bag opened by TSA in the US several times and when that happens I find a letter inside the suitcase and the contents looking like they we dumped out on a table and then just crammed back into the suitcase. I pack nothing breakable or valuable into a suitcase I check in. I also fly to Europe every year for the last 15 years and did not know that TSA locks were not good for customs or security in Europe.. I will be sure to use plastic tie wraps when I go there next month along with extras and a big toe nail clippers.

I think the moral of the stories here is: carry your valuables with you on to the plane and don't pack anything worth stealing in your case. Use a simple clip or tie to keep your zippers from opening in transit. (Nothing that dangles.). Keep in mind, TSA may open your case - but will place a note inside about inspection.

Posted by
11317 posts

Our first trip to Europe I locked everything! I hid things in our hotel room, wore a money belt, etc. After several trips and many years living in Italy I went local. We are prudent but not paranoid. Valuable are in my day bag kept close at hand. If checked there are nothing but clothes and cosmetics.

Posted by
4573 posts

I lock both checked and carry on bag in overhead compartment. Have used TSA locks for about 10 years....globally. Suitcase has been unlocked and checked in Ecuador, Europe, Mexico and Africa with no damage to locks. People have personal views and experiences. Decide what will work for you. Locking things at least slows thieves down,or dissuades casual opportunists. That's all I expect locks to do.

Posted by
105 posts

Thanks everyone. I never put anything of value in any bag I may check, but a few times the zipper pulls have not been closed when I’ve picked my bag off the carousel. I wasn’t sure if locks would work with the the baggage handlers. The zip ties make sense. I’ll use those. Thanks for everyone’s replies.

Posted by
8443 posts

Are TSA-approved locks the standard among all the EU countries' security systems?

I've used twist ties, paper clips, zip ties, and most recently small carabiners. My bags are all zippered.

Posted by
16264 posts

I have to check my bag as I always seem to have hiking poles in there. I do not put anything of value in the checked bag, but still would hate to lose anything. I fasten the main zippers together using the metal cable part of my ID tag. The two ends screw together (barrel clasp) no it is not easy to get them apart, especially with large fingers.

For other zippers Inuse a locking s-biner:

https://www.rei.com/product/102804/nite-ize-s-biner-keyrack-keychain

That black part in the center of each one can be turned so that the gates cannot be opened. Again, not easy to do with large hands.

Either one will slow down a thief enough that he or she will likely look for something easier.

Posted by
13937 posts

If you use the zip ties, make sure you have nail clippers or nail scissors in your purse so YOU can get in your bag, hahaha!!

Posted by
4858 posts

No locks on my luggage for a long time. I've lost too many keys and forgotten too many combinations. I just don't pack anything valuable in my suitcases, and use zip ties to keep the zips from being snagged and opened. Somebody wants to use their ball point pen on my suitcase, they can have at it. It's only full of old lady clothes.

Posted by
5697 posts

But... What if an over-eager TSA agent confiscates your nail clippers/scissors ?
Using a new suitcase for the first time, and it has a combination lock built in (zipper pulls click into the lock) I may just use a grocery store twist tie.

Posted by
357 posts

No, but I keep my locks inside one of the pockets on the off chance I might want to.

Posted by
3961 posts

We used to use TSA approved locks until one was forcefully opened in Europe and jammed closed, rendering it unusable. Nothing was missing. We don't carry any valuables in our checked luggage.

Posted by
105 posts

My main concern isn’t that someone will steal something out of my bag, which is just clothes and who would want them, but I have had a few incidences where the zippers aren’t totally closed when I pick the bag up after landing. I don’t want stuff to fall out. I use packing cubes, but not for everything. I wasn’t sure if the locks were a good idea. It sounds like they may cause more trouble than they’re worth. But the zips look easier to use.

Posted by
996 posts

I have scissors and nail clippers inside my checked bag, so no help there if I use anything that needs cutting off.

I use TSA approved locks. I know that anyone can get into my bag at any time, but it's much like the theory of locking your car doors/house doors. If someone really wants inside, they'll find a way; however, they may go for an easier target that requires less work. Not that anyone would find anything useful to them in my checked bag, unless they're really into deodorant or my other half's shaving cream.

I think the only thing of real value in my checked luggage is the corkscrew. And that's only b/c I like to enjoy a bottle of wine in new places. The corkscrew itself is a cheap one. It's just the hassle of replacing it in new surroundings... ;-)

Posted by
17 posts

I like to use the locks when things are left like:
a hotelroom, or sitting with a group of other bags in buses, shuttles, trains, etc.

Posted by
391 posts

I still don't know when and where it happened.

I don't lock my checked bags.

After checking in my bag and before boarding a domestic flight in China, I was summoned to open it. Turned out they detected a camera battery I forgot to take out. They didn't tell me what they were looking for, and asked me to show them every item in the bag. Took some time to locate the battery. A lesson well learned.

After retrieving a checked bag on a Thailand domestic flight, there was a big tape on it stating that it had been opened and inspected. Nothing in the bag seemed to be moved or taken out.

Posted by
20 posts

I am deciding about using TSA locks and I think I will try it on my trip to Italy next week. As someone here said, it MAY deter someone. In any case wouldn't it be useful to lock $ and passport in the suitcase in the hotel room as an alternative to using the hotel safe? Thoughts?

Posted by
8889 posts

Are TSA-approved locks the standard among all the EU countries' security systems?

No, they are US-only. I have never heard of them except on this or other US websites. I have never seen anything that says security may want to open your checked luggage, nor seen any "special" locks on sale.

I secure my bag zips with a simple combination lock, just secure enough that it prevents the zip coming open accidentality, or someone opening the case without it being obvious it was forced. If a thief really wants to, they can always cut open a zip with a knife, but then it is obvious and they get (hopefully) caught.

Why do US security have a need to open checked bags, when other countries' airport security do not?

Posted by
3518 posts

Why do US security have a need to open checked bags, when other countries' airport security do not?

It is part of the fun that is the TSA. If they X-ray your checked bag and can't clearly identify what is in it, they will open it. Why they can't clearly identify things without opening and possibly misplacing or damaging your items when no other country seems to have that issue is the question that needs to be answered but never will.

Because people still like to lock their luggage shut, there is an entire industry that was created to produce TSA approved locks that the TSA has master keys for. There are a variety of sizes and types, but all have a key slot on them for the master keys. TSA often opens checked bags and leaves a note they have done so. And things often go missing when they do.

The real question is why do US travelers seem to think that whatever the TSA decides goes for the rest of the world? TSA is US only, thankfully.

Posted by
14507 posts

I have TSA approved locks with me but I don't use them. My checked in luggage, only the spinner now, ie one piece, is never locked when I fly over and back. Likewise on domestic flights.

Has the spinner been inspected by TSA? yes, they sometimes leave a note, or I can tell that they've been there by the way they re-zip my Eagle Creek toiletries cube, or my empty 250ml plastic water bottle is thrown out.

Posted by
1259 posts

I don’t check bags anymore and I use a thread-lock gate carabiner to add (perhaps imagined) security. The ‘biner goes through zipper pulls. Can be used on a checked bag, too. The idea is to create an unattractive delay to a potential thief. I have idea if this works or actually draws attention to my bag.

https://www.metoliusclimbing.com/bravo-locking-carabiner.html