Please sign in to post.

Light luggage

What is the lightest carryon? I would particularly like to hear feedback from anyone who has used an IT bag. My Rick Steve’s carryon finally gave out.

Posted by
11316 posts

We replaced our Rick Steves rollaboard bags with these from Osprey. The bags weigh about 2.5 lbs less than the RS bags and I appreciate that difference. We easily pack the same amount as we did with the RS bags. So far, in two long trips to Europe (7 and 8 weeks) plus multiple short domestic trips we are very happy with them and expect many more trips. Expensive but I do think they are sturdy. We often check them as we carry hiking sticks and no.problems with wear and tear from checking.

After our last trip, I hosted them down in the bathtub and they took a washing with no problem and dried in a snap.

Posted by
94 posts

The link in the above post didn't work for me, but I'm assuming it was for the Osprey Ozone 22"/45L rolling carryon. I concur. My son and I are using these for our year traveling across Europe. We are five months in, and I still love the bags. I had another one picked out for myself, but I ended up buying a second one of these because it just packs up well. Eagle Creek makes a similar bag that weighs the same 2kg (I don't remember the name on it). I have seen the Ozone for as little as $130 (though I think I paid $175 for the first one and don't remember what I paid for the second). There is also a 20" model that would seem to fit more of the European carry-on dimensions. We flew Norwegian from Dublin to Oslo, and I paid to check the bags because they seemed to be over the airline's carryon restrictions. When I got to the checkin line, the screener pulled us out, printed our boarding passes and sent us to the gate. I told her I'd paid to check the bags, and she just looked at the long line and told me I was welcome to wait if I wanted.

Posted by
847 posts

I have two that I like. One is this Bric's https://bricstore.com/p/siena-21-soft-spinner-navy/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3rqn6fn03gIVFI7ICh2IqgvREAQYAiABEgK-pPD_BwE

The other is a similar size kipling

They are both about 6 years old, still seem almost new. However now they make even lighter bags, the IT one is supposed to be the lightest one available. I'd give that one a try except the two I have are in such good shape I can't rationalize replacing them.

Posted by
5835 posts

...these from Osprey. The bags weigh about 2.5 lbs less than the RS bags....

To weigh 2.5 pounds less than a Rick Steves Classic Travel Backpack (2#), the Osprey would have to be helium filled. The RS Classic is described as weighing only 2 pounds: https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/classic-backpack

The Patagonia Lighweight Black Hole (1 lb 2 oz) weighs less than the RS Classic, but the Patagonia's capacity (26 L) is substantially less than the RS Classic (2500 ci = 41L): https://www.patagonia.com/product/lightweight-black-hole-backpack-26-liters/49050.html

Posted by
173 posts

I would not recommend the IT if there is any chance the bag will be checked. My sister bought one for our trip to Italy because she was recovering from shoulder surgery. Carrying on was not an option. The front outside zipper broke the first time she checked it. That outside compartment was unusable for the rest of the trip. Luckily, she was able to return it when she got home. They may work well for carryon only.

Posted by
27111 posts

I had an IT bag that was about 23" (including handle and wheels). I purchased it in spring 2016 from either Marshalls or TJMaxx. I believe it weighed 3.5 lb. I was worried about the spinner wheels, but I was seduced by the low weight and reasonable price. I checked the bag to and from Spain that year and used it for 89 days. I walked to and from 26 hotels (up to 1-1/2 miles each time) over a variety of surfaces. The bag was fine when I returned home, but I didn't examine the wheels, and I'm sure they were showing wear at that point.

The next year I flew to Nice, again checking the bag. As I was rolling the suitcase to my first hotel, I noticed that it wasn't rolling well. When I was able to examine it, I saw that one of the wheels was totally destroyed. I don't know whether it was damaged by the airline or was on its last legs when I left home. I rotated the wheels so that I had two good ones on the back of the bag and used it in 2-wheel mode for eleven more hotel changes. At that point a second wheel failed, and I no longer had two that could be positioned on the back of the bag. I had no interest in dragging an essentially wheel-less bag around Europe for another 2-1/2 months, so I made no effort to have the company replace the bag.

I had no problems with the suitcase aside from the wheels, and online photos of current bags indicate that the company is using different wheels now. Perhaps they are sturdier.

Posted by
1194 posts

You asked the wrong question, I think.

The lightest carry on is a backpack or duffel bag. Any wheeled luggage will be several pounds heavier.

Edgar also pointed out the size issue. There are several bags that weigh mere ounces but they are not full sized.

Posted by
4154 posts

I strongly considered the Osprey Laurel linked, but decided it is too big at 42L capacity and dimensions of 21.7H X 14.2W X 9.1D IN. (55H X 36W X 23D CM). Another deterrent for me was a review that said the metal frame in the front bent when they had to check it and it never was stable after that. But Laurel hasn't had any issues with that. The weight of 4.5 pounds is great.

Osprey also has a global bag that is shorter and has 38L capacity, but as with many European bags, it is wider than the 14" standard.

Instead I chose this Eagle Creek 2-wheeled bag. It weighs the same, but is a bit smaller than Laurel's with a capacity of about 36L and unexpanded dimensions of 20.25 x 14 x 8 in / 51.5 x 35.5 x 20 cm.

Full disclosure: I haven't tried packing it yet, but the packing capacity is about the same as my Lipault spinner, so it should be okay.

On a recent domestic trip, my husband used my Lipault spinner and I used my older Eagle Creek 2-wheeled bag. It was no surprise that he had to gate check the Lipault, but I was surprised that I didn't have to gate check my only slightly smaller green Eagle Creek bag. It's not an international size, but it fit perfectly in the overhead bins of the small plane. I'm assuming my newer black Eagle Creek international bag will, too.

Posted by
11316 posts

Edgar I was comparing the Ozone to a R.S. rollaboard I had that was almost 7 lbs.

We tried the Convertible bags for a while, but the weight on our backs was unmanageable, especially for me as I am quite short.

Posted by
156 posts

That EC Load Warrior looks pretty nice. Good price on sale, too. My only hesitation with it is the T-handle. I like to be able to carry a backpack or tote on top of my carryons, and you can't do that with that kind of handle. On the other hand, it's a space saver. I think I'm talking myself into pulling the trigger on it, though...;)

Posted by
73 posts

I used an IT on a recent trip to Italy. It repeatedly fell over frontwards, and was very frustrating.

Posted by
15000 posts

IT is not the sturdiest.

For the last year and a half of travel I used the Samsonite Uplite 55. It weighs 3.75 lbs and I have had no problems. Technically, it's not sold in the U.S so you would have to find someone who will ship it to you.

I bought it in the UK after my RS Ravenna broke after three weeks of use.

Posted by
140 posts

I used the IT lightweight carryon in Europe for 54 nights last year. The light weight literally made my trip possible. My experience too was that after a few domestic trips after I returned home, eventually one of the wheels failed, meaning it sort of unraveled and would no longer roll. So wheels may be a weakness if you plan on a lot of wear.

I also agree with Evelyn that sometimes it tends to fall over frontward, although that may have been my packing poorly without weight sufficiently distributed.

Hope this helps in making your decision.

Posted by
27111 posts

I have used a lot of suitcases, and all of them have occasionally tipped over forward. I attribute that to a combination of light weight (making weight of contents more significant) and careless packing on my part. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a bag just because of that issue, unless reviews indicated that it was a pervasive problem even when the bag was carefully packed.

Posted by
593 posts

I’ve been happy with my IT 2-wheeler carryon (6 trips including Basque Country in 9 days).

I’ve never checked it and would be afraid to. I don’t have any problem with the wheels or tipping forward. I pack the heavier stuff at the bottom.

The material on the back at the bottom does fray if you let it rub against curbs and stairs—there’s no plastic guard. I put some gaffer tape there as a protective.

That said, the Samsonite Uplite 55 that Frank posted is VERY tempting— even lighter than my IT. I may have to finagle a way to buy it in the UK.

Posted by
347 posts

I have the "Eagle Creek 2-wheeled bag. It weighs the same, but is a bit smaller than Laurel's with a capacity of about 36L and unexpanded dimensions of 20.25 x 14 x 8 in / 51.5 x 35.5 x 20 cm." mentioned in a prior post.

Mine is an older model with an inverted U-shaped handled instead of the T-shaped one. I am quite happy with it. It weighs less than 5 pounds and the handle-hold on the "top" is convenient for carrying down the narrow aisle of a plane. I pack light and this bag is perfect for me. It has an elastic strap with hook that allows you secure another bag or carry a coat, bike helmet etc on the outside of the bag.

One modification I made: because I do sometimes drag it up curbs and stairs, I put monster tape on the bottom edge near the wheels to protect the fabric from wear. Lightweight plastic would be an improvement.

I highly recommend this Eagle Creek bag.

Posted by
4154 posts

Wildcatmcc, I've avoided the T-shaped handles for years. This is a bit of experiment.

I'm expecting to have to wear my crossbody Baggallini Hobo Tote. I normally slip its sleeve over the U-shaped handle of my other bags. For me it's perfect as a personal item (have 2, one red, one blue), but it's too big for daily use. I can easily put all my carry-on essentials in it as well as my favorite little Baggallini quilted purse (got 2, one red, one black).

I was messing around with trying to attach that tote to the new EC bag earlier tonight. It was awkward and I was unsuccessful, but both bags were empty, so I need to work with them fake-packed to see if I can somehow use the gear strap to secure the tote.

Posted by
156 posts

Well, I just ordered the Load Warrior on sale (international size) despite the T-handle. As I generally travel with a wheeled carryon and a small to medium sized backpack or daypack as my personal item, I'll just wear the backpack or use the add-a-bag strap. NOTE: The current video on Eagle Creek's website is of the previous Load Warrior model with the traditional handle, though it still features the lovely Jessica. The newer version has the T-handle and is lighter in weight, which was the main reason I went for it. (That, and the fact that I'm a luggage junkie;) I've had great luck with EC bags and expect no less from this one.

Posted by
15 posts

I'll add another vote for the International Load Warrior! We took two of these on our first-ever trip to Europe last year and loved them! I used it in conjunction with my Tom Bihn Co-Pilot and got the sleeve to work nicely with the Load Warrior's t-handle. DH used his small backpack as his personal item. We just loved that the Load Warriors have so many handles, making them easy to lift into bins, up and down stairs, etc.