Please sign in to post.

Jeans or no jeans

So I leave tonight, and I keep thinking unpacked, but it’s down to one last item. Do I take another pair of black pants or a pair of jeans?

I’m heading to London and Paris for about 10 days. I do have another nice pair of black pants in there because part of this is a work trip and you have to look professional.

How many of you that wear jeans at home don’t take jeans at all? And do you regret it, when you don’t?

I don’t know that I’m really asking for advice, especially just laughing at myself because you think by now, I’d have this down. The problem with jeans, as we all know, is they take up a lot of room in the luggage and they’re slow to dry. (Especially since the ones I buy I don’t put in the dryer.) I know a lot of people suggest wearing them on the plane I’m not doing that. I don’t think they’re that comfortable to sleep in and I find the loose fitting clothing is a better choice than jeans for me. So at 1:30 today when a rideshare comes to pick me up, take me to the airport I will throw one pair of pants in the suitcase close it and be done.

Posted by
6293 posts

When you picture yourself walking around London, which pair are you wearing? Take those.

Have a great trip.

Posted by
1097 posts

The last few winter trips I've taken three pairs of pants - soft knit black pants to wear on the plane (like Lands End starfish straight leg, look good enough to wear out but feel like jammies), a pair of black slim leg jeans* and my most comfy blue jeans that I wear at home.

I've stopped taking jeans in warm weather, I never wore them, but they are my go-to for cooler weather. I can wear them several times without washing (in fact, I don't wash them at all if I don't have a dryer).
Have fun!

*These are very thin and stretchy, not "blue jean" material - they're the Buffalo brand from Costco.

Posted by
6318 posts

I don't take jeans because of all the reasons you named above. It's just not worth it to me. But it would depend on where I was staying and for how long. If you're staying in just 2 hotels for that 10 days in London and Paris, jeans would not be that inconvenient as you'll have plenty of time to lay them out to dry, and don't have to keep moving your luggage around a lot. But if you're changing hotels every 2-3 days, I would probably leave the jeans at home.

Even so, I would still bring the black pants over jeans. But that's me. 😊 Either way, have a wonderful time and safe travels!

Posted by
11322 posts

I always take jeans and often even wear them out to not-too-fancy dinner with a nice blouse and/or sweater. They are so versatile! I tend toward a tailored Jean like from NYDJ or Talbots and in 10 days I’d not worry about washing them.

Posted by
3207 posts

I usually take one or two pair of black jeans. I wear one pair on the plane, but they have stretch to them and I take a day flight, NYDJs. All my bottoms are usually black. Black pants make me feel more put together (not that I am, LOL) and slightly less casual, but that is me. I don't have a pair of blue jeans these days, and I've never taken blue ones to Europe since I was 21. That's just me.

That being said, in May for the Camino Frances I did not take any, obviously. I didn't take any to Georgia last week either...just took not body hugging, black yoga paints that dress up or down. So maybe by next year my answer will be neither? LOL I just realized that I need a new pair of jeans...

Posted by
138 posts

Yes jeans-exactly what Laurel said!
I also wear Talbots black jeans in cooler months and just bring along nice top, sweater or jacket. I have never felt out of place when out for dinner or tea.
We are regularly in London in January and it is chilly. I feel jeans are warmer and more durable than pants.

Posted by
501 posts

Middle aged British woman here. I live in jeans, even at work, and wouldn’t dream of not taking them on my travels anywhere in the world. Even during the summer.

My approach is: take the clothes you like wearing in normal life.

The thing is, you can wear the same pair of jeans for a week. Jeans, a skirt and loads of tops and I’m done. As far as them getting wet, I have raincoats that cover my thighs so it’s only the bottom bit of jeans that get wet. Which doesn’t matter when it comes to pulling them on the next day.

Posted by
7288 posts

Carol, it sounds like you would like the jeans. Take them and have a great time!

Posted by
10224 posts

I wear jeans at home and I travel with them, usually a pair of black and dark wash blue. I have often worn black jeans on occasions where I wanted to look more dressed up, such as going to the theater, and never felt out of place. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Posted by
4081 posts

Lol! You made me laugh.

I don’t usually wear jeans at home but have a stretchy pair more like leggings that may go on my next short Dec. trip. However my normal packing includes only black pants, for the versatility. But my jeans don’t weigh more than my black pants. I wouldn’t wear them on the plane, either.

Posted by
758 posts

Within just the last year and a half, black jeans have traveled with men one or more trips to Paris, London, Seoul, Tokyo, Copenhagen/Oslo/Bergen. I agree about the space and weight, but find them the perfect answer to cooler temps and when dressed up with a "better looking" top and shoes, can fit in most venues including "dress up".

I vote yes!

Posted by
8144 posts

When we travel, I wear a pair of jeans and take another pair in my carry on bag. I also carry a high quality khaki pant.

But my trick is to send all the pants to the laundry and get them heavy starched. I can wear a pair for a week, and they still look reasonably good. And the starch seems to shed stains and dirt too.

That said, I really prefer khaki pants over jeans for everyday wear. But I end up wearing jeans because they're more durable and don't show dirt at all.

Posted by
3112 posts

I’m going to the UK soon too, and I’m taking one pair of flannel-lined black pants, one pair of jeans that are just loose enough to wear thermal leggings under if I need to, and one pair of black yoga-ish pants to wear on the plane.
Take the jeans.
The shops in London are pretty good…….if you need anything!

And have a wonderful trip!

Posted by
15810 posts

If my jeans can't go, I ain't going either.
Take the jeans. :O)

Posted by
4840 posts

You can always "dress down" black pants, but it's hard to "dress up" jeans. Just a thought. Regardless, have a great trip.

Posted by
654 posts

Hey Carol, Just remember to pack one of those pairs before 1:30PM today! HA. I've been wearing black jeans for 'business casual' for decades, unless you're meeting clients who will be decked out (why DO they do that??) you will be fine in black jeans. As others have said, do what makes you feel the most comfortable!!

The pants recommended by @Celeste above are on sale at Lands end, as is most everything up to 60% off! And my sturdy favorite rain coat is $69 as well... https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-waterproof-rain-jacket/id_330103?attributes=12520,44967

https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-starfish-mid-rise-straight-leg-elastic-waist-pull-on-pants/id_219545?attributes=44967&cm_re=add-more-shopping-bag

Posted by
2602 posts

Always jeans--one black, one dark blue. Wear one, the other is packed. I like a premium brand called Hudson and they use a denim that is not heavy, mix of cotton, modal and spandex for shape and they dry overnight (maybe 2 nights if the weather is cool). My other favorite is on the much cheaper end of the scale, Old Navy does some comfy skinny jeans that dry well and keep their shape.

Posted by
839 posts

Unless I am traveling during summer months, I always take jeans with me. I wear jeans several times before I wash them. So the fact that they are slow to dry is irrelevant to me. In the worst case, you can use a hair dryer to finish drying them if still damp.

Posted by
2712 posts

I love jeans, but not for travel. I got stuck in a downpour while traveling in Ireland once and had to wear my jeans the rest of the day. They never dried, and I said never again.

Posted by
13943 posts

Am I too late to vote?? It's after 2P your time, lol!!

I'm with the "take the jeans" camp....I always take dark wash blue and usually take a black pair as well. In August I only took the dark wash blue and regretted it! I was trying to save a teeny bit of weight.

For those with jeans that haven't dried after rain...I wear the Gloria Vanderbilt Amanda jeans. They've changed the fabric over the years and some of the colors are now 100% cotton instead of a cotton/poly blend but they still dry pretty quickly. I do wear the 32 Degree base layer bottoms under my regular jeans during winter and my regular size will accommodate the thin but warm layer.

Posted by
5517 posts

Jeans. I wear jeans every single day when in London during cool weather. They don’t show dirt!

Posted by
206 posts

What was the verdict, Carol? Jeans or no?
I’m in the “”yes to jeans” camp.

Posted by
1097 posts

I can't believe Carol left us hanging on this critical decision!! Maybe she has arrived, rested and obtained nourishment and will be back to update us soon because I know we are all on the edge of our seats! :D

Posted by
654 posts

HAHA I just checked on this thread waiting to hear the decision too!
@Pam, I just ordered Gloria Vanderbilt Amanda straight legged jeans, thanks for that. And that LL Bean sale looks amazing so ordered the not-jeans pants recommended by @Celeste. This thread has been so useful thanks to everyone! (Not sure what I will take to Rome for NYE, very likely the black jeans!)

Posted by
206 posts

Yeah, Sandancisco, I got the jeans too! Hooray for Pam.
I hope Carol will report when she returns….always nice to know how our choices worked out!

Posted by
13943 posts

Hahaha…I hope you all ordered the Amandas from Costco because they are a great price there!!

Posted by
10224 posts

I’ve been a Levi’s wearer since I was about 10 years old. I’ve seen the Amanda’s at Costco, so one of these days I’ll pick up a pair and see how they fit. Thanks for the recommendation, Pam.

Posted by
366 posts

If I could just unload the many pounds I've added, I could get back into the Amanda jeans somewhere in my closet (or in the "too small right now" bin)...

Posted by
206 posts

Pam,
Yes, Amanda jeans update-Kohls had a good sale, for two pair, they were shipped to me, my total cost was $40. Now trying to delete all tempting sales promotions, hah!

Posted by
1 posts

On one of my travels, I discovered a pair of double-sided jeans that are awesome. They have two colors, one on each side, so I can change them according to how I feel. It’s as if I have two jeans in one, which is handy for traveling light. I never leave them behind when I go on a trip.

Posted by
2111 posts

We went to Austria and Slovenia in December. I do not take jeans when traveling, mainly because of weight and bulk since we travel small and light.

I took lightweight black slacks and khakis. I also took LL Bean's base layers, both top and bottom. I wore them on cold days and they kept me plenty warm.

Posted by
488 posts

Generally, for a 2-week trip, depending on weather and destination, I'll take two pairs of pants with me, one of them being a dark dyed denim. I can wear it out and about, and not look like a schlub at a gas station but, also pair it with a nice shirt/shoes and not get a second glance at dinner. The other pants will depend on the trip, destination and weather.

I've had several pairs of ExOfficio jeans that I really like, they're comfortable with a bit of stretch, proper cut but, also they have several 'hidden' zip pockets, so I can squirrel away some cash and/or passport while I'm about. I think when people are asking about wearing jeans, the more important part is 1) they're not unfashionably torn/worn-out and 2) what you wear with them is what makes the appearance.

Posted by
32761 posts

both of smiths posts reported - do not click the link on this or the other one

Posted by
322 posts

I just saw this pop back up (I guess because of spam) and saw that somebody asked what I decided to do. I did decide to take the jeans. I actually even washed them in my apartment and they dried overnight. I do not put these particular blue jeans in the dryer, I would’ve been fine either way but …..

Posted by
10224 posts

Thanks for reporting back with your choice. Mine always dry overnight as well, as long as they are washed in a washing machine. I’ve never tried sink washing them.