Please sign in to post.

How Many Shoes

We are heading to Germany in December for the Christmas Markets. I will be wearing some waterproof hikers, and am trying to decide if I need another pair of walking shoes. On one hand, I don't want to have to pack an extra pair of shoes. On the other hand, I don't want any foot pain. If I only take one, I was going to pack an extra pair of insoles. What are your thoughts? What do you do?

Posted by
715 posts

I usually bring a pair of low cut hiking shoes and one pair of comfortable walking around shoes. I wear the hiking shoes on flights to avoid the weight issues. I then to alternate the shoes, by day, or by day and evening. I can't imagine walking 10 miles, and more, a day and not have a very good pair of hiking shoes. My second pair is usually a pair of Ecco's, with a solid sole for the cobblestones, which i find to be quite comfortable for me.

Posted by
2261 posts

One pair of "workhorse" shoes plus one pair of a comfortable alternative. Are your hikers very well broken in? That would be a high priority, imo. Shoes=important. Two pair is not over packing.

Posted by
3207 posts

I wear one pair of comfortable shoes and take something to walk around the hotel room in; i.e., slippers or thongs.

Posted by
2602 posts

Even though I finally found my perfect boot to see me through 2 weeks of heavy walking--Fly London if anyone's interested--I still take an alternate pair of comfy laced oxfords. 2 pair is always a good idea, nothing's worse than having to search for and buy new shoes while on vacation because the boots that seemed perfect on other trips suddenly turned very uncomfortable.

Posted by
492 posts

"...2 pair is always a good idea, nothing's worse than having to search for and buy new shoes while on vacation because the boots that seemed perfect on other trips suddenly turned very uncomfortable."

Or wet!

Posted by
60 posts

I've been in Munich for the Christmas markets. It's extraordinary and you'll have a wonderful time. You'll need two pairs:

1) Waterproof winter boots for walking around in the snow, broken in, with insoles. Non-skid soles are a must; you'll be walking on wet stones.
2) Comfortable, broken-in, indoor shoes for museums, restaurants, etc.

Plus I would add flip-flops for hanging around at the hotel, showering, etc. They take up very little space and I used them daily.

Posted by
10 posts

I finally figured out what works for me on my trip last fall through Croatia, France, Spain and Portugal. Just over three weeks with a backpack carry-on only. We walked a lot. I wore my go-to Ecco's for travelling and my heavy duty walking. I packed a pair of Nike Free's and a pair of sport sandals. Together they weigh about half what the Ecco's weigh, and take up very little precious backpack space. The Free's were a nice change of pace for an evening walk to dinner or shopping. After a day spent walking or hiking, a lightweight and airy shoe feels pretty good. The sandals were great for around the hotel in the mornings and evenings, as well as on the plane.