Please sign in to post.

Hiking poles

I love the concept of carry-on only, especially since we just returned from Spain and after cancelled, delayed, missed connections we made it home, but one checked piece of luggage is still missing after 10 days! No airtags…next time.

Reason for checking our bags is that I NEED hiking poles when we hike and I believe TSA will take them away if in carry on bag. So my question is: how can one bring hiking poles, even ones that collapse down if one wants to just go with carry on luggage? Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Mike

Posted by
404 posts

I think the correct answer is you can’t. Not if you want to guarantee to get them to your destination and not be taken at TSA. The option is to look for inexpensive ones at your destination. I got a pole at one of the outdoor shops in Scotland for about 6 pounds, which is cheap enough to leave behind. It worked for me but wasn’t high quality. If you have good ones you need, you’ll have to check them.

Posted by
13955 posts

Here is the link to what is and is not allowed by TSA:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/all

(put hiking poles into the search box)

IF you have sufficient time at your international hub you may be able to shop for poles. I know Seattle has an Ex Officio store that might have poles but it would be fairly expensive if you had to leave them coming back home.

I've always understood the issue is the carbide tip on the hiking poles that is the issue. It's hard and sharp and is viewed as a potential weapon.

I know some people have posted that they've been able to carry them thru TSA checkpoints either in carry on or using them as assistive devices for mobility in the airport but you can't count on that experience being universal.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks. Appreciate the info. I see this topic has come up several times. And it seems clear: TSA will probably take the poles away. Other options.

Posted by
13955 posts

Where is your next trip to? You might be able to buy them at your destination then check the bag on the way home.

editing to add: Ooops sorry Carol! I didn't see your post when I posted! Got interrupted in the middle, lol!

Posted by
3207 posts

Many people just check their poles. (I checked my poles and threw in other items, too, to make my carryon pack lighter, but that was just me). It's an easy solution. It's then not the end of the world if the poles don't arrive vs your entire suitcase not arriving. I do enjoy my AirTags.

Posted by
2828 posts

Another possibility: if you'll be going to a popular hiking destination you might check with your host (hotel, B&B, whatever) to see if they have loaners for their guests. You could get lucky ...

Posted by
5529 posts

Check only the poles. Put them in a nylon duffel and wrap in cardboard or newspaper.

Posted by
237 posts

I use a hiking pole as a walking aid. Bum knee.

But for air travel it goes in the checked bag and I use a regular folding cane through the airport. Don't want to chance confiscation.

On my last trip I noticed that the TSA agent tried pulling off the tip of the cane.

You can check them in a separate bag.

Mail them to your destination.

Buy them there.

Buy some on-line and have them delivered to your destination. Hopefully not taking any other flights that will confiscate them.

Check your destination to see if you can borrow/rent poles.

And as far as the pointy tip under the rubber tip, if I was looking for a weapon, I think the mechanical pencil, ball point pen, keys or safety pins that are in my carry-on would come to mind and hand before I tried pulling the tip off the stick to poke someone. Or just using the knob on the top to whack them with.

Posted by
599 posts

I prefer carry-on only, also, but I am getting to the point that I check a bag with my poles if I am considering any hiking of hills or mountains. Three times I went to Europe with the thought that I would just buy poles if I needed them. But, I never did, and I regretted that I didn't just bring my own.

Posted by
6354 posts

mnannie, I agree. I was planning to buy poles in Scotland this year. I never did and regretted it. Next year, I plan on bringing my poles with me to England since I will be gone for 5 weeks. That way I will have them ready to use. I've already added them to my packing list so I don't forget.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks all for the clear comments. All consistently good advice.

All the best in your travels. I will go ahead and close this thread.

Mike