Please sign in to post.

Hats

I'm doing the 21 Day BOE starting on 14 April, so I'm on the final countdown and getting everything ready. One thing I keep getting stuck on is a hat. I'm quite fair, and burn easily, so I want to have something available, but the weather I'll face will be very variable (we start our trip in Morocco, where it'll be hot and involve a camel ride in the desert - I'll definitely need a hat for that - then we'll have likely rainy weather in the early part of our tour, cold in the Alps etc). I gather that caps aren't terribly fashionable in Europe (well, are they anywhere?), so am looking for some different ideas.

This style of hat is coming into season in Australia: http://www.sportsgirl.com.au/pretty-bow-panama-black-all but too hot? Too unseasonable for spring? I'm not sure. Would love some ideas!

Posted by
10344 posts

You have the problem of needing to be prepared for extremes: the Morocco desert and then the colder weather at altitude in the Alps. It seems as if one hat might not do.

Posted by
731 posts

I think it's a nice hat but maybe a bit too heavy for spring? What about a straw type wider brim hat? I think you would maybe need a different cap in the Alps (something to keep you warm...it would not take up much space in a suitcase). I don't tend to wear hats so I plan on bringing a knit cap for the Alps and will wear the hood on my all weather jacket if need be.

Posted by
13904 posts

I meant to pack my Outdoor Research hat I use for hiking when I did BOE but ran out of room. By Venice it was pretty hot and I wound up spending maybe 7 € for a cute straw hat from a vendor near St Marks Square. He said it looked bellissima so I believed him. I am sure he was not just trying to make a sale!! So...you might find one there!!

Posted by
39 posts

I love my Tilly hat; they come in several styles. The brim is wide enough to shield the sun and rain. The chin ties tuck inside. This is an expensive hat but worth the price in my opinion.

Posted by
507 posts

I vote for Edgar's idea of a female's Aussie hat, especially if you can get it in a lighter color like white, cream, or tan.

It is not beyond me to wear a pink baseball cap with my city name on it. "Being fashionable" has not been me since the birth of my 3rd child. So what if I stand out as an American tourist? As pointed out by the ex-pats, they can see a tourist before we open our mouths.

Posted by
795 posts

Emsharp, I never worry what is in or out in style- I make my own trends- and I totally understand your issue as I have very white Irish skin, reddish hair and green eyes. I burn if I just show up in the sun so I always carry heavy duty sun block (the baby sunblock at its highest strength). That hat would be just fine- I would wear it (especially in pink). I am also prone to wear a man's fedora (we women can wear what we want and forget about letting designers and celebrities decide what we wear.).

Posted by
8938 posts

Go for the fedora which would look wonderful, or if you need a larger brim, find a chic straw hat. They have soft ones that you can fold up if needed. Anything else would be too hot. I can't stand wearing a hat in the summer as it makes my head so hot and sweaty and only the straw ones are bearable.

Posted by
32198 posts

em,

Given the fact that you burn easily, I'd suggest focusing more on function than style (although some models may have both).

Check the Tilley Hats selection, as many of them have an SPF 50 rating. Their clothes are also great for travel.

Posted by
119 posts

Look at REI online or in stores. Maybe even Kohls. I saw some packable straw hats, some not so big at rei.com.

Posted by
559 posts

Hi Emsharp,

I would worry about coverage for Morocco, but I doubt you'll need something super-warm for the Alps in April since you'll only be there a few days. I think the hat for Morrocco would work while down in the valleys of the Alps. Then, does the jacket you're bringing have a hood? That might suffice while ascending the mountains. Assuming this is the case, I would pack a crushable hat like this:

http://www.sundayafternoons.com/verona-hat.html

There were several similar styles on this website. The nice thing is that sun protection is even manufactured into the hat.

:) Enjoy!

Posted by
16167 posts

I loved my Wallaroo "Breton" hat but lost it in New Zealand a month ago. ( I am going to have to buy another before summer arrives).

https://www.wallaroohats.com/products/breton

These are lightweight, UPF 50+, and pack flat. Nice and cool in hot weather, but reliably sun-proof.

Despite the Australian name, it is a US company, but "inspired by" Australian sun-protection standards. I did see my exact hat for sale at a shop in Manley, on that walkway from the ferry landing to the beach.

Posted by
1840 posts

There is an online panama hat shop: www.panamahatmall.com. I don't know if they ship to Australia or not but if you peruse their catalog you can get an idea of what you would look like wearing a panama hat. COOL! Some of the hats fold up for travelers.

Posted by
5835 posts

...camel ride in the desert....

In addition to a hat and long sleeve sun wear sun and wind skin protection products are available. Dermatone is effective in winter environments with reflective sun and wind. Its a heavy pomade that doesn't run into your eyes.

http://www.tognar.com/dermatone-skin-protector-spf23-14g/

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
Use on exposed skin to protect against chapping, wind and sun.
Popular with mountaineers, patrollers, instructors, racers and coaches, this formula is preferred for higher wind, more extreme cold
and/or greater sun exposure.
It is rated SPF23 and has a heavier (vaseline-like) texture that works more effectively as a sun/wind/frostbite barrier than
traditional sun protection creams or lotions.

PS. Tognar ships to Australia.

Posted by
10344 posts

Looks like emsharp has not been back to see all these great suggestions.

Posted by
1221 posts

I've got a hat from Columbia similar to the Outdoor Research hat that I take on national park trips. Nice thing about it is that not only does the brim cover a lot, it also packs quite small compared to a stiffer hat.

Posted by
11 posts

Sorry, I have been back but doing shift work so haven't had time to reply earlier. I leave soon enough that I don't have time to order something from overseas (but that hardly seems like a problem!), and but fortunately I've got lots of good options here in Australia.

Thanks to this feedback, I think I might get a stylish fedora but leave it at home, and take a lighter hat with a sun-protective focus, and maybe a beanie as suggested. I'd love to just buy one when I'm there, but we've only got one day in Marrakech before we start a tour, and I wouldn't want to have to run around all day hat-shopping if they weren't easy to find. I really like the suggestion of the blue Moroccan wrap - but does it really actually turn your face blue?!? I do have a black scarf I could use for a similar wrap (which wouldn't dye my face!) - I'll have a look at some Youtube videos for instructions about how to tie it. We also have lots of great sunscreens here, too, and there's already a tube in my spare room waiting to be packed!

Posted by
59 posts

Lots of fun to get a local girl in Morocco to tie your scarf for you! I did that in Turkey. One of the trip high Lites.

Posted by
59 posts

Lots of fun to get a local girl in Morocco to tie your scarf for you! I did that in Turkey. One of the trip high Lites.