Please sign in to post.

Fanny Packs????

Are they coming back? Through my recent travels in Italy I saw a few men wearing them. All Europeans. (I listened to them speak or saw guidebooks in languages other than English.)

Posted by
119 posts

They are! I work at a high school and lots of students are wearing them. Fanny packs were even the prom favors this year!

Posted by
8421 posts

I heard a report on the radio the other day about some big name fashion designers who had come out with some new versions. Some things never die.

Posted by
888 posts

Yes, they've made a come back although much more stylish than before. For our next trip I bought this Travelon crossbody or waist bag. It's just roomy enough for phone, a bit of money/plastic and a few essentials like tissues, lip gloss, sunscreen. Comes in several colors/prints.
https://www.amazon.com/Travelon-Anti-Theft-Convertible-Crossbody-Waistpack/dp/B07GGSX2Q3/ref=sr_1_19?crid=3N86W00ELBJS7&keywords=travel%2Bfanny%2Bpacks%2Bfor%2Bwomen%2Banti%2Btheft&qid=1557334095&s=gateway&sprefix=travel%2Bfann%2Caps%2C186&sr=8-19&th=1

I'm happy that it has the options for how it's worn. I find even cross-body bags can drag on my shoulder.

Posted by
1662 posts

Through my recent travels in Italy I saw a few men wearing them. All Europeans.

Interesting..."fanny packs?" Weren't they from the 80's? Fashion gets recycled. Perhaps a new item will be added in the RS store? ;)

Oh my Nicole, lol! Never will you catch me wearing crocs or birkenstocks. People swear by them. But, no thank you!

Posted by
3517 posts

And in other fashion news ...

Short shorts for men!

That's all I will say other than I was in complete shock couple weekends ago when quite a few men on my plane were wearing them.

Posted by
485 posts

They are! I work at a high school and lots of students are wearing them. Fanny packs were even the prom favors this year!

They're back in style because it's a fashion accessory for music festivals: Coachella, Stagecoach, Glastonbury, Electric Daisy, Sziget etc. Fanny packs allow girls to carry their cell phone, cash, credit cards with their outfits; fashion couture brands have come out with cutesy, bedazzled, brand-heavy versions.

Posted by
7327 posts

Hmmm. So are these new designs also more theft-resistant than those from 2 and 3 decades ago? Or are would-be Metro and bus thieves salivating at the prospects for easy pickings?

Posted by
3940 posts

Girasole - I sold shoes for some years and was selling them when the Crocs craze hit - we were selling them by the hundreds. Never seen anything like it. I do have a pair, but I've only worn them to the beach for when I went into the water - I have Teva now that are water friendly, so my crocs haven't seen the light of day for years.

As for Birks - another item that was a best seller. I have two pair, but I use them as slippers in the summer when I go barefoot. The support is amazing and my feet always miss them when I go back into my ancient slippers in the colder months.

Posted by
5202 posts

Hi Frank,

Ha! I thought I was being smart when I traveled to Europe with a fanny pack ( worn in front) back in 2001.

When my mom and I were getting ready to board the Metro in Rome, a young woman overhead us speaking Spanish & we began a conversation. She warned me about not wearing a fanny pack, or to hide it under my jacket to avoid losing it to a pickpocket! This woman explained that she lost her fanny pack when the strap was cut from behind while in a crowded bus. She didn’t realize it was missing till she got off the bus.

Posted by
888 posts

Yes there are anti theft ones. The Travelon bag I bought (link in the my earlier post) has all the normal anti theft features including slash resistant construction. They have other versions as well.

Posted by
14499 posts

Regardless of the popularity of the fanny pack or total lack thereof, I have been wearing a fanny pack since 2001. It is by Eagle Creek and is absolutely part of the traveling gear and wardrobe, ie I wouldn't go to Europe without having one on.

Posted by
304 posts

haha, I was actually scanning this thread waiting for a Brit to object ;-)

I'm not a big 'fan' of the name, but the term obviously doesn't carry the same cultural 'baggage' (sorry again!) over here, as people are posting about fanny this and fanny that ;-)

I do prefer the term 'waist pack' or similar. Plus it goes around one's waist, doesn't it, not one's ...

Posted by
1259 posts

Fanny packs, men’s purses, shorts for men, mismatched socks, coats and jackets and shirts in fluorescents, and don’t forget silly hats. These things neither come into nor go out of fashion for me. I wear what I want.

Posted by
5835 posts

In Brit/Aussie usage is it a "bum bag" if worn in a posterior positon and a "fanny" pack if worn in an anterior positon?

Posted by
8938 posts

A nicer name is hip-pack or waist-pack and yes, they are very popular in Germany, with men as well as women. These are Germans, not tourists.
Often not worn around the waist though. I see them worn cross-body (most common) or just slung over the shoulder.

Posted by
734 posts

Oh i am so glad Emma responded!!! When ever i hear them called 'fanny packs' i become 11 and giggle and smirk!!!

Posted by
5370 posts

I'm guessing that many do not know that fanny means something very different in British English.

Posted by
2768 posts

Yes, waist packs or “belt bags” are back. A lot of the high end designers started making nicer looking versions and now it’s trickled down to more affordable ones. I’ve seen them look pretty good on fashionable people. Apparently they are especially popular at summer festivals and outdoor concerts. I still don’t like them and won’t be participating in this trend but they are back.

Posted by
7513 posts

It is not a "Fanny Pack", it is a Hip Satchel.

Posted by
3099 posts

"It is not a "Fanny Pack", it is a Hip Satchel."

It's not any of those. It's an abomination!!! :)

Posted by
14499 posts

Waist belt is a neutral name, bland and conventional but I'll still wear one in Europe, would not feel right without it.

Posted by
101 posts

Don't call them "fanny packs" in England. Fanny is vulgar slang for female privates. It would be like calling it a "C-word" pack here in the US. Very offensive.

Posted by
734 posts

Its not on a par with the c word, its more what children call it. So not offensive at all, but will make us giggle and smirk!!!

Posted by
5697 posts

Well, whatever it's called, I seem to have five or six someplace in my house -- if you never throw anything out, they may come back in vogue. Maybe I'll wear one to a Travel Group meeting ....

Posted by
3517 posts

Whatever you call it, don't use it in place of a money belt. They are two completely different items for completely different tasks.

Posted by
8938 posts

2 young ladies walking in front of me today, both with their hip backs worn cross body, but with the belt part in front and the pouch part in the back. This is a commonly seen way of wearing them. Obviously not a good idea if you have your money in there, and probably not comfortable on the train, but perhaps they move them to the front.

Posted by
9548 posts

I saw some today (and thought of this thread) on mannequins on the rue du faubourg St Honoré!! I should have stopped to look at the price but they were clearly several hundreds (if not thousands) of euros. And not modeled on the waist, but rather slung over one shoulder (but with the pack part in front).

Posted by
1625 posts

Yes very much for men and women! And I HATE Fanny packs so I won't be jumping on that fashion wagon. BUT they are much more designer and accessory than functional. Anything worn in front, easily accessible that keeps your hands free is a travel keeper for me.

Posted by
31 posts

I’ve seen them called “belt bags” by designers/high end brands and they’re popping up more and more. The instagrammers tend to wear them in interesting ways- usually with the bag in front, sometimes crossbody like a purse, but always funny-looking to me ;). (Though I had a black and hot pink one in the 80s!)