Please sign in to post.

contact lenses

I have always traveled in the US with contacts in my carry on, but someone told me that these are supposed to go in my liquids bag. I am going to London and hate to take up so much room with my contacts in the bag. Suggestions?

Posted by
23267 posts

Contact fluid has to go in the bag but not contacts themselves -- or at least that is what we do with no problems. And contact fluid is easily purchased in Europe so we only take the small travel bottles.

Posted by
1097 posts

I have never put contact lenses in my liquid bag. I use dailies, so have to pack quite a few of them. As I use them up, more room for other stuff I pick up along the way. And I don't require any special solutions, so if I need saline, I just buy it over there. It's easy to find in pharmacies. If you don't use dailies - you should! :)

Posted by
308 posts

I took three weeks worth of dailies in my carry-on bag to Scandinavia last year and did not put them in my liquids bag. I started off using Dailies just for travel about 8 years ago and this year I started using them for everyday wear. They really are more comfortable for me, and much less hassle. Your eye doctor might be able to give you a trial supply for free. That is how I became hooked!

Posted by
472 posts

Maybe seven years ago my checked bag, with all my lens solution, limped into Madrid five days after we did, &, big ouch, prices there were hugely higher than stateside. Maybe the costs have leveled out now, but I carry on at least one 3-oz. ever since.
And surprise, the same delay happened on another trip (different airline, just lucky...).
Caveat emptor, & happy travel!, from Stew's wife, Vicki.

Posted by
1097 posts

Vicki - that's why so many of us avoid checking bags! My dailies go on the plane with me... :)

Posted by
564 posts

My husband wears hard lenses, and often he can't find hard lens solution in European pharmacies. However, we discovered that TSA allows more than a 3 oz. bottle of lens solution to go through security, so he's brought a 4+ ounce bottle from home each time we go. It has never been an issue and never been challenged.

Posted by
792 posts

All of this time I have been putting my dailies in my 311 bag! This is great!

Posted by
362 posts

You should double check this information, but I was trying to research earlier about taking prescription eye drops to Europe that will be too large to fit into the 3-1-1 bag. I was told by other travelers that in addition to my prescription eye drops, medical supplies including contact lens solution can be placed in a separate plastic bag in your carryon. You will have to let the TSA officer know that you have medical supplies/liquids when you go through the checkpoint, but apparently contact lens solution may be okay.

Posted by
41 posts

Just completed a two week France/Spain trip. Apparently my daily contacts when connected and x-rayed look like a knife and have a sharp edge, so tsa asked about them. I identified them as my contacts, thought it was interesting... After this when I travel, I'll be sure they're on top so when my bag is open, they're right in sight.

Posted by
23267 posts

I am sorry but there is no way contact lens could look like a knife with sharp edges. Something else triggered the search - maybe the packaging but even doubt if a lens would show on an x-ray.

Posted by
2745 posts

It was the packaging Frank. The daily lens are packed in kind of foil package that's a long strip. I can see where it would trigger a question.

FYI in the US your solution is considered a 'medical need' and you can have a 2nd baggie for it so it won't have to go in your 3-1-1 with the rest of your junke, put it in it's own bag.

(This may not work returning!)