Please sign in to post.

Carry on luggage

On a trip to and from Europe, what are the guidelines for carry-on luggage? Size? Weight? Are you allowed a "personal item" (purse) in addition to a carry-on bag?

Posted by
9587 posts

It depends on the airline and type of ticket you buy.

Posted by
19093 posts

Most, if not all, airlines show this information on their websites.

Once you know which airline/airlines you are flying - go to their websites. Follow the most restrictive baggage policy to minimize or to avoid baggage fees. If you don’t mind paying fees - pack however you desire. Bag size, weight and fees are determined by the particular airline.

If you have big bucks - fly a private jet and pack anything legal that you wish. Example: sousaphone.

Posted by
7303 posts

Usually you are allowed a smaller suitcase or backpack carry on item and a purse or small backpack type personal item. Some airlines have weight restrictions, all of them have size restrictions on the carry on. If you are flying Delta, then you would look up the restrictions on the Delta site, for instance.

Posted by
8150 posts

We use a TravelPro 21" swivel wheel ultra light carry on bag, and we max out @ 22 lbs.

My wife has a large shoulder bag for her toiletries. I used to use a day backpack, but now don't carry any second bag.

We can travel indefinitely with this luggage following Rick Steves' packing list somewhat.

Posted by
3 posts

Looking for a hard or soft carry on in the size of 20x14x9 or max 21x14x9 included. TIA

Posted by
357 posts

I love my Travel Pro 21!
I also carry the Cotpaxi 35 L backpack..fits under the seat with room to spare. These 2 are all I need for a trip as long as a month. The Cotopaxi is also water proof so I can wipe it clean of travel grunge.