Please sign in to post.

Carry on...

RS requires that your bag be a carry on - and then states that you have to be able to handle your own luggage.

These are not necessarily exclusive! Hence my question...

I travel a fair bit domestically on weekend trips - and have no problems checking my bag for Europe. It has been my experience that a bag which is guaranteed to be allowed to be a carry-on would be too small for any kind of extended trip.

So - my question to you is - does RS require a carry-on...or a bag that I can easily handle (stairs, etc.) TIA!

Posted by
4802 posts

Been on many RS Steves tours and recall a number of folks who had luggage that appeared to be larger than "carry on" size. The "rule", whether formal or informal, appears to be if you can schlep it you can bring it. A quick email to the RS office should give you a definitive answer.

Posted by
2169 posts

Though my husband and I have done as much as six weeks in Europe (and RS does much more) with just a carry-on size backpack. The lighter you pack the happier you'll be.

Posted by
681 posts

A carry-on size bag can absolutely work for an extended trip. Many of us use a bag that size for trips of 5-6 weeks or longer. But, there's no restriction on whether or not you check your bag. You simply need to be able to handle your own bags - up several flights of stairs, along cobblestones for a few blocks. I think that the general consensus on this forum is that the smaller the bag, the better off you are. And, there's lots of good advice here on how to accomplish that.

Posted by
1802 posts

Unlike some airlines no one from RS is going to measure your bags. If you can carry it you should be fine. I take a bag that I need to check, but I can carry it up and down stairs etc.

Posted by
6289 posts

I'll ditto what the others have said: it is very easy, and for us Rickniks, common, to use a carry-on sized bag for a trip of any length. Also, on Rick Steves tours, you are responsible for carrying your own bags, including up stairs, across bridges (in Venice, for example,) or up to several blocks to get from the bus to the hotel. So while you are of course allowed to check your bags, the smaller and lighter your load, the more pleasant your trip will be.

Posted by
19092 posts

It has been my experience that a bag which is guaranteed to be
allowed to be a carry-on would be too small for any kind of extended
trip.

What do you call an extended trip? I've gone for 3 weeks (about to go on another) with a bag much smaller and lighter than the carryon limits. You just have to learn some packing discipline.

I only take enough clothes for about 3 or 4 days. Once you learn to do that amount of time steady state, any amount of time is possible.

Posted by
13906 posts

Yep, I'm with the others! Have done 8 weeks with Rick's convertible carryon and 6 with the 21 inch roller. The luggage compartment on the bus is huge so no problem with space. It's just that you'll have to handle it. There are always some places the bus can't get to so you might have to walk 1/4-1/2 a mile with your suitcase, thru town, over cobbles/stepped bridges to a hotel.

If you want to share which tour you are thinking of someone can probably tell you how close you might get with the bus. Also, the hotels might not have elevators or the elevators will be very small and you might wind up hauling your bag up several flights of stairs.

Posted by
14945 posts

Since it is your experience that for you a carry on bag is too small for an extended, realize that many of us can manage it. I leave tomorrow for a 10 week trip and I have one carry on bag and a small personal item.

But, it doesn't matter what any of us does. No one is going to stop you from bringing a larger bag. If you can handle it, you can bring it.

Posted by
7253 posts

Be open to trying a new experience! I still remember when we were in the planning stage for our first RS trip and found out the expectation was carry on, only - whoa! We'll, 14 years later, and we've never checked a bag again. It's amazing how much handier, faster (no baggage claim at the airports), and money we've saved. Example - we voluntarily bumped on a flight home and each received $1000 AmEx card...only able to do because our luggage wasn't already loaded on the plane.

You could definitely go light; check out the packing topics on the Forum.

Posted by
86 posts

My last trip to Europe....30 days.....40L backpack carry-on.

Posted by
15800 posts

Patty, we haven't take one of the tours but no, you are not "required" to bring only carryon-sized bags. As long as you can handle your bag everywhere by yourself, then you can bring it.

I'll cheerfully take the flogging for being the sole dissenter (so far) but our European trips so far have been done independently, and we both check a bag. They're not huge nor weigh a ton (his is heavier than mine) but we find it easier than fighting for overhead space, for one thing. We fly economy seats and it's a pain when the only bins not already full are in the back of the plane. I don't mind waiting for them at the carousel: I DO mind having to wait until almost everyone exits a very large plane to get to my bag. Our carryons are small enough to fit under our seats so no problems there.

There is wisdom to keeping the size and weight to a minimum, though. The ability to manage them up and down stairs, in and out of trains, over a variety of rough surfaces, etc. is pretty important. As The Husband and I age (we're in our early 60's) we will probably have to further lighten the current load we can handle.

LOL, I ran across the previous thread on the subject, and you might find some of it a chuckle. 😁

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/packing/new-experience-i-checked-a-bag

Posted by
8125 posts

After becoming a Rick Steves devotee, I subscribed to his packing list but with some slight changes. Yes, everyone can live on 22 lbs. indefinitely--with a supplementary backpack or oversized purse. My wife and I are in the middle of a 26 day international trip right now.
My parents were world travelers, and I saw my poor father lug my mother's 45 lb. suitcase until he was about 80 years old. I remain appalled at the amount of luggage people carry when they can do with far less.
In our travels, anyone that goes with us must use a carry on size luggage--and be able to carry it a mile. I'm not carrying luggage for anyone.

Posted by
6289 posts

Oooh, David, I like it! Be able to carry it a mile! I always advise people that when they're checking to see if they can handle the weight of their bags, to go walk around the block with their luggage, and up and down a few flights of stairs. Just standing in the living room and hoisting the pack is not enough!

Posted by
15800 posts

Yes, everyone can live on 22 lbs. indefinitely--with a supplementary
backpack or oversized purse.

Yep, my checked bag comes in right about that weight or maybe slightly more going over. It's heavier coming BACK because of the books, pamphlets. etc. from favorite attractions I like to bring home. Add a few Christmas ornaments, maybe a T-shirt, a CD of fave street performers... it adds up! But I've managed (dragged) my own bag on walks as long as a mile + and over some pretty interesting surfaces. Strong, sturdy wheels are a MUST: do not buy cheap, flimsy luggage!

Posted by
3517 posts

RS "suggests" not "requires" you take only a carry on. But they do "require" you carry all of your own luggage back and forth from the bus to the hotel. This is the important thing to consider when you decide how many and what size pieces of luggage to bring because there really will be no one there to help you carry it. Sure, one of the other tour members, or if the bus stops right at the hotel a hotel employee, might at least take it to the reception area. But they have their own luggage to worry about.

I never have any issues traveling with only a carry on. It is proper sized and not overweight. I have done up to a full month of uninterrupted travel with just a carry on.

Of course I plan on doing laundry (or paying to have it done) at some point or points during the trips. I simply don't have enough clothing to take enough for a month - I wash weekly at home why wouldn't I when traveling?

After taking these trips enough times (I have done 10 so far), you learn how much stuff you can leave at home and not even miss it.

Posted by
903 posts

Most of the hotels where you will be staying may or may not have an elevator. If they have an elevator it is going to be the size of a small closet! You and a large checked bag are are about that are going to fit in it at best. If your room is on the third or fourth floor, you may be waiting for an unoccupied elevator. I would not want to pulling a large checked bag up and down several flights of stairs.

Ed

Posted by
3207 posts

I recently returned from my first RS tour. Most people had large bags, which would have had to be checked, some bags would have carried my entire seasonal wardrobe. On the other hand, they did not have to do hand washing every couple of days. Everyone handled their own bags...so if you can do that, you are fine. There is no luggage police on tour. I had my 20" RS Rollaboard, not packed full, but even though it is a carryon, I check it 75% of the time. I removed 3 items I never used before the trip, and I needed them during this trip, so never again will I remove those items or try to pack too light. There is a point when you are packing too light, IMO, for comfort. I had one of the small bags, because I can't or don't want to carry much weight. Actually, I had to carry my bag a lot less than when traveling independently. So just figure if you are comfortable with your bags, and go with that, not with what extreme packers suggest...but listen for they do have some good ideas. At least 3 of our hotels had elevators, and one hotel had men doing lifting.

Posted by
1625 posts

Patty-I thought the same as you and I had to learn how to pack for 21 days in just a carry on. I did this by looking at You-tube videos and packing blogs to get all the tips and tricks, everything from choosing a color pallet that you can mix and match, the use of scarfs and accessories to change it up, using packing cubes and how to get the best use of the space in your suitcase. My point is that there is an art to travel with just a carry on, if you feel the size restrictions are too much maybe go a little bigger (24inch??) and check it in. In addition to my carry-on my personal item is the Kipling Sherpa Tote which has all my valuable items in it, my folder containing all travel docs, passports, make-up, jewelry, medication, tablet ect, and that fits under my seat perfectly and has a space in the back that slips over the handle of my suitcase. It can be done with some education and purposeful planning.

Posted by
5697 posts

I'm with Kathy --we pack "carry-on" size, then check it, carrying only a personal item each onto the plane. We do month-long independent trips, with multiple trains and occasional intra-European flights; and every time I wish I had packed less. (Did 8 weeks with a 22" bag last year.)

Posted by
1166 posts

I have a question ! We use 21" bags which we can check or carry.

However, when we flew Air New Zealand, my bag fit the SIZE requirements, but not the weight.

How does one pack lighter ? I take product out of travel size products to make them even smaller and my clothing is very lightweight - there are so many more fabrics available than 10 years ago !

What am I missing to have my bag weight less ????

Posted by
6289 posts

Carla, are you packing your bag too full? Packing guidebooks, electronics, and other heavier items in your main bag?

I use an 18" bag, and it generally weighs about 13 pounds, or so. More on the way home, because DH usually carries souvenirs and gifts, so I take some of his clothes. Another reason to not fill the bag to its capacity.

Many folks on this forum advocate weighing each item on a kitchen scale before deciding what to pack. I haven't had to do that, but I'm keeping it in mind should we ever approach the weight limits.

Posted by
27063 posts

How much does the bag weigh empty? There's quite a variation in weight, and there's nothing to stop a manufacturer from calling a 7-lb. bag "featherweight". I think my bag is 23" including wheels (definitely a bit larger than carry-on size), and it weighs just 4-1/2 lb.

If it's not the bag itself:

How many pairs of shoes are you taking? (I'm down to just the pair on my feet,)

Are you sure you've calculated the amount of toiletries you'll need correctly? Your lodgings will probably provide soap and shampoo; there's little risk in taking just small amounts of those, since if you absolutely have to, you can buy some locally.

Are you packing jeans or more than two pairs of slacks? Is your warm layer something heavy (like a wool jacket) rather than something light like fleece?

Or are you like me--burdened with too much paper (guide books, maps, notes)? Sorry, I can't help you there!

Posted by
1166 posts

No! I have an RS backpack which has my heavier items...

I may carry one other pair of shoes - lightweight.

Maybe I just need to continue to streamline my toiletries. I think my bag is very light - I carry it and roll it everywhere.

Posted by
1166 posts

Thank you Jane and acraven ! I will look at ALL of these ideas.....

Posted by
1625 posts

My heavier stuff goes in my personal bag, sometimes even a pair of shoes lands in there! Heavy to me is camera (battery and charger), adaptors, chargers, curling iron, make up, tablet, travel books, snacks. I keep know that I have to lift my suitcase over my head and into the overhead compartment, which keeps my mindful of the weight. My personal item just goes on the floor. My husband can pick up my bag and tell me exactly how much it weights and it is never over the weight and I bring pretty much everything I want (4 pairs of shoes) and need.

Posted by
1166 posts

I think I need to reduce my makeup/medicine/toiletry bag. We love going in to grocery stores so maybe I should not bring so many different items.....

Posted by
1625 posts

Carla, I also love going into grocery stores in different countries to look around and maybe grab a treat, but to buy toiletries, not so much. We needed to buy Head & Shoulders in Paris, which is not sold in the pharmacy as so many other beauty products are, we had to go to the grocery store. So spending time looking for a grocery store, buying the H&S , the lugging it around in my purse till we got back to our apartment that night. So unless your going to the grocery store and are headed back to your lodging to drop off your purchases, plan on lugging them around for the rest of the day. In Paris, I love going to the pharmacy for beauty/wellness products.

Posted by
4151 posts

This is what the Air New Zealand website says, but many non-US carriers have similar restrictions. Some even limit the combined weight of the carry-on and personal item or allow only one thing to be carried on.

Carry-on bag weight:

Economy passengers - up to 7kg (15lb)

Premium Economy, Business and connecting Business passengers, Airpoints Gold, Elite and Star Alliance Gold members - up to 14kg (30lb) total with one item weighing up to 10kg (22lb)

If you fly economy, 15 pounds isn't that much. The RS Classic Back Door Bag weighs 1.95 lbs. The Convertible Carry-on weighs 2.7 lbs. That leaves you about 13 pounds to keep the former in compliance and about 12 pounds, 5 oz for the latter.

I'm a kitchen scale weigher and did a test pack this morning for my next trip. I'd aleady weighed all the things I planned to take, and pulled out what I planned to wear on the plane. My 2nd pair of shoes plus my clothes packed in 2 large and 1 small Eagle Creek compression cubes added up to 8 lbs, 1 oz. My backpack weighs 1 lb, 11 oz.

My total us now 9 lbs, 12 oz. I hope to keep the total on my back down to 15 lbs or less. I'm likely to be cutting the other stuff way back to achieve that, but there are a few clothing items I can probably also do without. It's amazing how every little thing adds up.

Posted by
5697 posts

@Carla -- as a last resort, put heavy things in your coat pockets and wear the coat onto the plane. (Yes, looks a little suspicious in Rome in August ... but until they start weighing passengers, it should work.) Or just CHECK the bag with the heavy stuff.

Posted by
55 posts

I had a week long trip to Paris to attend a special ballet performance and ended up taking a tux, a suit, a pair of jeans and a pair of shorts and three pairs of shoes - all in a carry-on backpack. It was WAY more than I packed for three weeks as a normal tourist in Europe. The bag was heavy and bulging at the seams, but if I can take a suit and a tux, it should be easy for anybody to take everything you need in a carry-on suitcase of 20-22" in size. If you add on a small day bag you get even more room.

As Rick says, NOBODY comes back from a long overseas trip thinking "next time I'll take more."

Posted by
27063 posts

Carla et al.: If you haven't already considered it, take a look at toiletries that come in solid form. Solid antiperspirant, solid hair conditioner, solid shampoo if you can't bear the thought of using what is supplied by your hotels--they'll save you weight when compared to liquids. There are probably solid lotion-like products out there, too. I've used the solid conditioner made by Dirty Diva Soaps; one ounce lasts about a month even though I wash my hair virtually every day. (My hair is fairly short and fine, but permed.) Lush also sells solid conditioners, though at higher prices.

I've even figured out how much toothpaste I use per week and buy a tube that just meets my needs; that stuff is heavy. I haven't been quite desperate enough to try a tooth powder; I doubt that it would work with an electric toothbrush.

I swap out both my regular-use hairbrush and the smaller one I carry in my purse for smaller/lighter versions when I head to Europe.

If you're traveling with someone else, be sure you're not both carrying something that could be shared (fingernail clippers? nail file? house/car keys? toiletries like suntan lotion?). One small item may weigh only an ounce, but it's amazing how many extra ounces a pile of not-strictly-necessary items will add up to. I used to travel with multiple plastic spoons and forks for picnics and in-room snacks. I now take one high-impact plastic utensil that has a fork on one end and a spoon on the other.

I buy purses made of nylon or a similar lightweight fiber rather than leather. I strip my key ring down to my apartment key and luggage key. I take only the bare essential cards in my wallet, substituting in most cases a single piece of paper with a bunch of number written on it. I now have small non-leather billfolds for European trips that weigh much less than the French-clutch-style wallets I favor at home. Bonus: they take up much less space in my purse. I take all the US coins out of my wallet before heading to the airport. On days when you need to carry your tablet around with you in your purse, it really matters what else is in there.

I'm also careful about the weight of my clothing. There are "travel" clothes out there that do not wrinkle, but some of them are made of quite heavy knit fabrics. They stay at home in my closet. And then there are the long dresses, and the tops that are tunics rather than shirts/blouses. Be sure you're getting some actual benefit from the extra length/weight/bulk. I don't compromise on warmth when I'm traveling to cooler places, but I make sure the extra weight does actually keep me warmer. My summer-weight items are selected partly for their light weight, as is my sleepwear. I take at most one necklace with me. When you go beyond earrings, jewelry can get heavy.

And the unneeded guide book chapters stay at home.

I do have to take a lot of vitamins with me, but they are packed in bottles that are just large enough, and as the trip progresses, things get combined and some bottles get discarded.

Posted by
11613 posts

acraven, it sounds like we have similar philosophies of packing.

I do trust the hotels' soap and shampoo. I take a travel-size tube of toothpaste and buy a regular size one when I arrive - many US brands are available in Europe.

I also think special travel clothes are an expensive option; I opt for lightweight fabrics (cotton, linen, and for high summer, solid-color seersucker).

Posted by
1166 posts

Thank you all for the tips ! I will re-evaluate the next time I pack !

Posted by
7 posts

My bag of choice is the Rick Steves Rolling Carry-on. I change my personal bag from time to time, but usually, it's a Vera Bradley Tote with zipper.

My packing philosophy is pretty simple. For clothes, I follow a color-palette for the trip and make sure that every piece fits within that palette. Each piece has be able to worn at least twice - either with different accessories/top/bottom/whatever - or out it goes. I bring multiple scarves (2 or 3) and I mix it up by changing a bit of jewelry. So, if I wore a certain top with a scarf, the next time I wear it, I'll pair it with jewelry. For those of you ladies saying you'll get bored, I get what you're saying, but I've not yet found it to be a problem. In London, when I got bored, I bought another scarf - lightweight and easily packable. Pants, I'll admit, are a bit harder because they take up more room/weight. I don't care if they're heavy, I have to have jeans. I usually take 2 pants for a week, 3 for two weeks. After considerable trial and error, I've invested in quick-dry undies. You don't really realize just how much room underwear takes up!! It's crazy! And I found that my regular cotton undies just don't dry quick enough in a hotel room. So, I take 4 quick dry pairs and wash one each night. Takes 5 minutes and saves a lot of space. I'll admit that shoes are a problem for me - not because I feel the need to take a thousand pairs, but I do need to take 2 and that's hard with carry-on only! In colder weather, where shoes are heavier and bulkier, it can be really frustrating! On a recent trip, I took only 1 pair of booties and I really regretted it. I wanted that extra pair of flats when my feed needed a break and the weather warmed up. I still don't have a good answer for that one...For toiletries, I purchased a set of small tubes and jars from Amazon for $20 and I use them whenever I travel. It's really been a lifesaver and has allowed me to cut my toiletry case (and my 311 bag) way back! For makeup, I don't take anything fancy. I do take a full face of makeup, but no extra fancy eyeshadows or extra brushes. I take only what I need for "an everyday face". Most importantly, I have a toiletry case that is thin and packs flat - it takes up very little space.

My challenge is with non-clothing related items that go in my personal bag. I've stopped carrying books in favor of my iPad (with e-books) and I've had to learn to leave the magazines/sewing projects/guidebooks at home. I used to need them to entertain myself on the plane, but these days, with in-flight entertainment and my iPad with books, it really is enough. My luxury item is my DSLR. Not only is it big, but heavy, too. And of course, you have to take the charger. I leave the fancy lenses, but still it takes up more room than I'd like. I also take a crossbody purse that folds up flat and can be used as my day bag when we arrive. The goal with my personal bag is to keep it as empty as possible so that I can use it for my souvenirs on the way back, Ultimately, I'd love being able to make my personal bag and crossbody the same bag, but I'm not there yet.

Truthfully, I think that almost everyone is capable of packing the Rick Steves way, but I think many people genuinely don't want/aren't willing to deal with the hassle...I don't mean that in a nasty way. It takes years to really master how to pack that way...I'm pretty proud of how well I do, but I'm still learning! For a lot of people, it takes the joy out of the process to have to plan that minutely. While I personally think that level of planning makes for a smoother trip, not everyone feels it's worth it. My mother is a perfect example. She absolutely refuses to carry-on. She would rather have the luxury of taking what she wants and she'll willing to deal with whatever frustrations she encounters to have what she wants. I don't agree with her, but I can't really argue her logic.

Posted by
208 posts

Acraven & EmilyBear4 - I am soooooo with you! I admit, that I find it a source of pride to be able to travel this way. Happily, my husband feels the same way. And, funny enough, my siblings do, too! Both of my older sisters never check bags.

I'm in the process of refining my packing list for this October's fourth Mediterranean cruise. Because we really do enjoy "kicking it up a notch", dress-wise, when ship dining, it certainly does post a greater challenge than straight, land-based traveling. In addition, we cruise in the fall, meaning some cooler, fall-like weather, and then some very warm ports of call. But, we manage to do it, as we haven't checked a bag since 1998. :-)

Cheers,
Vivian

Posted by
17868 posts

I have found that Jefferies prefers when we check one very large bag, rather than smaller carry on bags. He has a much easier time getting his luggage and ours to the car if we just have one piece.

Posted by
208 posts

LOL JamesE... but I bet you ANYTHING that "Jefferies" would much prefer one SMALLER piece checked to one that is "very large".
;-)

Posted by
9550 posts

@Wray -- ok, what were the three items you hadn't used before that you decided not to bring this last time -- and then ended up needing? (If they're not too personal). Fascinating!!!

Posted by
17868 posts

Okay, then seriously then, on most trips we end up doing just fine with carry-on. We discovered soap some years back and it does a marvelous job. It takes Jefferies no time at all.

It really does come down to planning. For a guy, all shirts have to look decent with all trousers; and everything has to work with the one pair of shoes. As much as I would love to wear tennis shoes, that really doesn’t make packing sense if I want to go to the theater or something. So the one pair looks dress on top, but has a true walking sole (Merrill). One pair of trousers has to be wrinkle resistant dress trousers and one shirt has to be compatible with a sport coat. Sports Coat??? Sure, the one I have doubles as my travel vest. You can twist the thing into knots and it doesn’t wrinkle and it has a dozen pockets, some with zippers (Orvis). Goes fine with jeans too. I have to carry a lap top for work and I have a rather nice camera that I carry but rarely use these days. Still it all fits in the RS backdoor bag and meets most weight limits where they occur. Jefferies has to have a larger bag for clean uniforms, but he can wheel that with our two carry-ons, one over each shoulder.

Then there are the fishing trips where we have the carry ons and a large duffel full of rods and waders and boots; and the occasional formal wear trip where we have to carry the tux and the mink. Jefferies hates those trips; but they amount to maybe 1 in 3 trips. I have Jefferies fly out to Lake Placid and plant a tree to offset the larger carbon foot print I am sure the weight is responsible for.

Posted by
1097 posts

James E - does Jeffries drive you to the airport in the Maybach or the Rolls?

Posted by
17868 posts

Celeste; don't be ridiculous.... Jefferies takes a taxi, after all he is our personal valet, not our driver. Reginald is our driver and he drives us to the airport and picks us up.

Maybachs are so 90's; wouldn't be caught dead in one. No, we take the RR Phantom.

Posted by
10 posts

Patty,

I didn't read this blog when I posted my own plea a few minutes ago! I love the answers.

Happy travels,
Another Patti

Posted by
208 posts

JamesE I am writhing in contortions, envisioning Reginald handling your RS rolling back pack in the trunk of your RR Phantom. I do hope you at least have the Special Edition model with leather trim. ;-)

Posted by
225 posts

Okay, you guys are a riot! Thanks for the laughs!
Patti,
At , first I was taken aback by the idea of only a carry on (and that we were expected to schlepp our own bags- lol). But I figured I'd give it a try. It's a mind-shift that eventually becomes a paradigm-shift. Once I let go and started to let myself think differently I began to enjoy the idea. It turns out to be quit freeing. The first trip makes you think in a different way. Try reading what other people are doing. A lot of it won't make sense at first, but as you practice (and yes, I do recommend a practice pack and drag), it begins to make sense. It is fun to rethink the packing. After all, the pre-trip excitement has to be filled with something, right? After a few RS trips, it becomes a habit or for some, a hobby - lol. I rarely check a bag anywhere now. It's just so nice to get off a plane and bypass the baggage carousel.

And as far as schlepping your own bags, it actually added to the experience. You have a different perception of your surroundings when you walk to your hotel dragging a small suitcase over cobblestones. :) Really, it's an added sensory experience (and I mean in a good way).
If you're not ready to take the leap, then go bigger. It's your call.
I was surprised how little I actually needed once I thought out my outfit, sorted my packing cubes and found the right carry-on and extra bag (you'll see tons of posts on the preferred bags).
Lastly, having been at both ends of the size spectrum. It is a heck of a lot easier to pack small when you are a size small. If your clothes are larger, don't think that you'll be able to do some of the things people mention on these posts. Whatever you decided, do what suits you, not the crowd.
Hope this helped!
Lori

Posted by
1025 posts

I broke my wrist in Nice a couple of years ago. Aside from the pain, which was kept at bay through liberal applications of medicinal ethanol, I was able to get around easily because I had a backpack and a cross body bag supplied by Tom Bihn. Lighter is better, and wheel-less is lighter. Anyone can live for 3 weeks out of a carryon bag and laundromats are a fact of life in Europe. If you are going on a cruise, or need lots of dress up clothes, then this advice probably won't work, but otherwise, consider freeing yourself from the baggage burden.