Please sign in to post.

Best men's travel pants

My husband (70 yrs) normally wears jeans. So we are looking for some lightweight, comfortable slacks for our trip to Spain in November. He will wear his 1 pair of jeans on the flight since they are heavy. He likes cargo type pants but most are sized and have the cut for younger men. Any suggestions?

Posted by
671 posts

My 68-year-old husband likes the adventure travel pants from Clothing Arts. They have pockets within pockets and closures to help prevent pick pockets.

Posted by
172 posts

I’m a couple of years older , in addition to the other suggestions I have found cargo- style travel pants at LL Bean and Bass Pro Shops.

Posted by
24 posts

Thank you all for the suggestions. We will be making our way to the local Bass Pro Shop!

Posted by
369 posts

Costco often carries good travel and/or cargo pants. Check there (in store and online) if you have a membership.

Posted by
1259 posts

I have worn several types of travel-specific pants and shorts for decades. Everyone has a favorite, these are mine: Royal Robbins Active Traveler (also available in shorts and zipoffs with same cuts and features). The Active Travelers are the only RR pants that have the rear hidden pocket.
Why? Fit is loose and the fabric is stretchy. Easy to care for, dries rapidly, doesn’t make any swooshy noise when walking.. Right thigh zip pocket for phone (inconvenient for lefties). Hidden security zip pocket right rear, under belt. Elastic pulls to adjust cuff tightness. You might not like that the other pockets have no secure closures at all but you should have your valuables in a hidden flip pocket or money belt anyway, and there are the standard five belt loops (many years ago these came ith seven loops).

i wear the shorts version of these all year here in Boise. When traveling, The zipoffs allow me to add wind protection or warmth on a cold aircraft and to become instantly presentable for cathedrals or snooty museums.

30% Sale right now at RR.

https://www.royalrobbins.com/us/en-us/search-page?q=active%20traveler

Posted by
24 posts

bogiesan, thank you! I forget about Royal Robbins and there is even a brick & mortar store locally!

Posted by
2404 posts

Duluth Trading Company has several excellent travel pants

Posted by
24 posts

Thank you to all. I appreciate all the replies. I think I will be shopping this Labor Day Weekend!!

Posted by
81 posts

I would add Rail Riders to the list. They have different weights so you can choose 3 oz. or 6 oz. weights. My hubby has some of both but really likes the 3 oz. best as he is warm natured.

Posted by
8440 posts

I like Craghoppers mens pants (and shirts). They have a couple of zippered pockets, are lightweight and comfortable. Not too technical-looking. I think Travelsmith sells them as well as amazon.

Posted by
284 posts

Do not buy cheap pants.

The main problem with cheaper travel pants, including some models from Eddie Bauer and Costco, is that they may not be breathable (especially if they list a DWR finish) or have that swishy noise that drives me nuts.
The Eddie Bauer Pants (I have had several including the chino, Travex and Guide Pro) all seem to feel as breathable as a hefty bag on a warm day.

For this reason, I only buy pants for travel that I would also wear at home. Then I do not worry about spending good money on pants that I would only wear a few times per year.

I prefer the Prana Brion and Alameda pants for travel and home wear as well. They look like nice 5 pocket chinos and are slightly water resistant yet breathable, stretchy and quick dry. They look like jeans but are MUCH more comfortable. Prana has a couple of different styles, some with zippered secure pockets, if this is needed. Just look for the stretch zion fabric.

I also bought a couple pairs of Lululemon ABC pants (they have a travel version as well) upon hearing several friends rave about these. They are priced like the Prana Brion but seem to look a little nicer for city trips. They are, hands down, the most comfy pants I have worn. The only downside is they are not water resistant in any degree.