Please sign in to post.

Athens and Heart of Greece Sept 2024 packing

I am reading that some beaches have sharp rocks, should I take light weight water shoes? Do you have much time to even go to beach on this trip? I am expecting it to still be warm with cool nights so packing lightweight clothes and maybe only Ecco hiking sandals not tennis shoes, mistake? Packing light is hard to do!

Posted by
1 posts

The rocks were more slippery than sharp for the most part, but if you have a pair of water shoes they may help with traction when you are getting in and out of the water, and the occasional sharp edge. There are two free days on tour to enjoy a day at the beach, so the water shoes would certainly get some use if you bring them. If your hiking sandals are waterproof, you could also use those for getting in and out of the water as well.

Posted by
4 posts

We went on this tour in March 2024 and had opportunities to dip our toes in the water in Kardamyll and on Hydra. I used my water shoes but you'll definitely want to plan to have something on your feet.

Posted by
1945 posts

Water socks with good tread on the bottom are light weight. Just search on Amazon, they have a great selection. I also wear on the plane going over as they are much easier than battling to get your shoes back on in the middle of the night with very little knee room in which to maneuver.

Posted by
950 posts

Always a good idea to wear water shoes as sea urchins are common around beaches in Greece. Don’t want to tread on one of those! On one occasion when I forgot them I did use my Keen’s sandals and they worked well and after a rinse in fresh water they were fine.

Re footware….for Greece sneakers or similar are best as trails and paths at archaeological sites tend to be unpaved and dusty. I only ever took 1 pair of sneakers and my trusty Keens - wore one pair and packed the other. Greece is pretty casual clothes wise so no need for dressy clothes or shoes.

Posted by
32 posts

Thank you everyone, I ordered water socks from Amazon. Getting excited! Any suggestions from other people that have done this are welcome!