Please sign in to post.

another 311 bag question

Does mascara need to go in the 311 bag? I searched through the forum but can't find the answer. I did find an old thread that told me solid deodorant doesn't need to go in the 311 bag, so that helped a lot.
Thanks,
Kathy

Posted by
7025 posts

"According to the TSA, most makeup has been pretty much kosher since 2010: Powder makeup is fine. Common-size facial cosmetic and medicinal products in a tube, for example mascara, lip gloss, and lip balm, are not required to be placed in the one-quart bag."

Emphasis mine.

Posted by
185 posts

Nancy shared some great info. However, since the TSA is specific to the U.S. it might be different on your flight home. I know from experience I have had to transfer my mascara to my 311 bag at the last minute when flying through airports in Europe. At this point I just put it in the bag from the start.

Posted by
2701 posts

Ditto what Rosemary said. TSA rules do not apply in Europe. I have the tiniest bottle of prescription eye drops imaginable and TSA has always been OK with me stuffing them in a carry on bag or jacket that goes through the X-ray (or they didn't see it). Got nabbed in Gatwick and had to put it in the baggie.

Posted by
2091 posts

Actually, Alan, your prescribed eye drops should be in your medicines bag which can even be a gallon size ziploc if needed for OTC and prescribed meds. Meds don't have to be in the 3-1-1 quart size bag.

Posted by
528 posts

I have been told on domestic flights that, "Yes, lipstick is considered a liquid." Those exact words. So, I always put all liquids, gels, soft squishable items in my 3-1-1 bag, this includes: eyeliner, mascara, lipstick and or lip balm. I would rather already have it in a baggy, than to take the time, in line, at the airport.

Posted by
3207 posts

I have been told the rule of thumb is that if the product won't hold its shape when it is not in its container, then it has to go in the 3-1-1 bag. I don't want to be readjusting depending on which country I am flying out of at the time. I've never been questioned. Also, I put eye meds and drops in a separate baggy and that is accepted as well.

Posted by
2701 posts

I can only tell you what I experienced flying this summer. We flew London to Lisbon and those eye drops had to go in the liquid bag. TSA rules do not apply.

Posted by
696 posts

I also went thru Heathrow . As i posted to the first 311 question, Heathrow is very strict. they announce frequently as you approach sceurity that the rules at Heathrow are different than other areas. Just do what they say - everything in the bag they provide . Everyone is a lot happier that way. :)

Posted by
94 posts

In May, on our way from Atlanta to Berlin, tranferring at Heathrow ..... the lady in front of my husband had enough small liquids to fill up 3 quart sized bags. The agent told her she could only bring 1 baggie. The holdup came because she could not decide what to take and what to let them throw out. We almost missed our connecting flight due to her quart baggie dilemma.

Posted by
1411 posts

Darcy, have you been sucessful w random otc ointments,etc? Im afraid of the woman gtjackets met

Posted by
2091 posts

Yes, Doric, no problems at all. I actually have my prescriptions in individual ziploc bags with the label on them inside a quart-size ziploc bag. Then I have any OTC medicines including eye drops (not prescribed but advised by the doctor) as well as ointments and liquids. The prescriptions and the OTC meds are all in a gallon ziploc bag. In the US I take the medications bag out as well as the 3-1-1 but not outside of the US; outside the US I just take the 3-1-1 out. Admittedly I have not departed from LHR since 1999 and was in transit in 2005. I have departed out of several airports in Europe at least once a year since 1993, sometimes 3 times a year and out of Nairobi in 2011.

Posted by
2717 posts

Thanks everyone for your experiences.

Vicki, my mascara is going back in my 311 bag.
Kathy, only 17 days before Kathy's and Su's Great Adventure!

Posted by
2745 posts

"According to the TSA, most makeup has been pretty much kosher since 2010: Powder makeup is fine. Common-size facial cosmetic and medicinal products in a tube, for example mascara, lip gloss, and lip balm, are not required to be placed in the one-quart bag."

I can't find this wording on the TSA website anywhere so I am not sure about the validity of this statement.

Actually what I do find makes me think that it's not accurate. There's a listing of items here
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/all

And mascara is shown as going in the 3-1-1 bag