Please sign in to post.

CPAP machine

We are traveling with Rick Steves Scandanavian Tour in June. Have any of you traveled with a CPAP - necessary. and cumbersome and needs distilled water. Would we need to include in our limited 21 inch luggage or do you have any suggestions on traveling with one. I know we will need an adaptor.. Any suggestions appreciated. thank in advance

Posted by
518 posts

We travel with a travel CPAP machine, and one thing I would recommend is power strip with a cord. There have been many European hotels where the outlet is not by the bed or if it is you have to unplug the lamp. Our strip has 2 outlets and 3 usb ports which is great for charging.

Posted by
491 posts

Always carry on the cpap bag and don't have anything else in that bag (except a plug adaptor and maybe an extension cable or power strip) . Airliens carry essential medial equipment for free - even Ryan air couldn't care less about the additional bag - it wasn't tagged or even asked to be opened - but they were fine with it. And yes they picked up every other person with additional bags!

Posted by
6377 posts

We travel with a travel CPAP machine, and one thing I would recommend
is power strip with a cord.

And my recommendation is to buy that power strip in Europe to avoid running 230 V through a North American one.

Posted by
1943 posts

My family uses CPAPs so two suggestions

Bring an extension cord as many hotels don't always have plugs right by the bed. One time the only plug found was under the desk across the room.

Don't worry if you can't find distilled. Many places in Europe have distilled water in the pharmacy instead of supermarkets. You can get by just using regular water.

Many airlines don't count CPAP as a bag so you can bring it with you on a plane.

Posted by
11156 posts

And distilled water can often be found among laundry products in grocery stores as it is used in steam irons too.

Posted by
6308 posts

The others are correct about not needing to use distilled water. I’ve used bottled water in mine for up to four weeks and I have not had a problem. I just wipe it out occasionally with a clean cloth or towel and it’s fine.

With regards to the airlines, airlines here in the US are required to allow you to carry this on without it being counted against your carry-on allowance, as it is considered a medical device under the Americans with Disabilities Act. European airlines are not under that same obligation, but I have never had one refuse it, and I doubt that anyone here has either.

Posted by
6377 posts

Just be aware that bottled water might have a higher mineral content than regular tap water.

Posted by
6308 posts

Badger, even if it does, it doesn’t really matter. It just means you might have to wipe out the reservoir a bit more frequently.

Posted by
2375 posts

Since this has popped up again...
Humidification is not essential to CPAP therapy
According to my doctor, please check with you own. I only use the humidifier during the coldest, driest part of winter.

This makes travel easier 2 ways: no need to deal with water, and my machine is 50% smaller if I leave the humidifier home.

Posted by
7 posts

Thank you all for the information!! Getting ready for our adventure.. will look for an extension cord there. thanks Gretchen and Charlie

Posted by
8440 posts

What LizinPA said. It's for comfort, not therapeutic.