Please sign in to post.

Venice restaurant

Hello!
It was recommended to eat at Cucina da Maria, however, I see some poor reviews.
Who has eaten there? Reasonably priced? Authentic Italian food? Do locals go here?

Posted by
902 posts

I've dined in many restaurants in the city and I do not recall that one. Is this the correct name? What is the location? Is it new? Thanks.

Posted by
17244 posts

Who recommended it to you? I do not see it in Rick’s Venice book.

While I usually can ignore a bad review here and there, I would not consider a place with only a 3-bubble review on TripAdvisor, and so many negative reviews.

Posted by
5149 posts

Please do not confuse the resturant in question with Trattoria Da Marco Valla Fava on Calle Stagneri which is in the Rialto Bridge area. We've eaten at the latter many times and have always had a good experience.

Posted by
96 posts

My brother and his family. They were just there about 2 weeks ago. They said they are (family of 5) for a reasonable price and a large bottle of wine was 9E.
Hmm… where do you recommend eating that is off the beaten path in Venice where the locals eat? Thanks!

Posted by
5149 posts

For a truly local place, try Pane Vino e San Daniele Rialto Calle dei Botteri, 1544, 30125 Venezia VE, Italy. It is a little "hole in the wall" place on a back street between Rialto Bridge and P. Roma. Good, hearty food at a reasonable price. You shold be able to google it and pinpoint the location and view some photos.

Posted by
17244 posts

“Off the beaten path” where locals eat—-I suggest you look in your own neighborhood of Santa Croce (now that your apartment location has been determined), or nearby San Polo. These two sestrieri are well away from from the main tourist path connecting the train station, Rialto Bridge, Piazza San Marco, and Accademia, all on the other side of the Grand Canal.

The above suggestion of Pane Vino e San Daniele is well-located in Santa Croce and well-regarded. The menu looks very appealing, at least to me. We will likely go there for lunch ( not dinner because we want seafood for that meal).

https://www.panevinorialto.it/

For more ideas, have a look at the suggestions offered in my own thread ( which is focused on seafood per my request).

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/mixed-seafood-grill-in-venice-outdoor-seating

Posted by
90 posts

We are at Pane Vino e San Daniele in Jan 2023. We stayed on this Calle down the other end and I shortlisted this restaurant along with a few others.

I wanted great food and casual setting. This has a feel of a local restaurant. Food was fantastic and prices were good for Venice

I loved the wine and the service was perfect. It was one of the two best meals in Venice

There was another restaurant we loved. I’ll check it out and add to this list.