Please sign in to post.

Vatican Tickets

Good Morning,
Has anyone had issues purchasing tickets through the Vatican website? We are traveling the week of Thanksgiving, so my dates have opened up. I have tried 2 separate cards/accounts and neither have worked (both last night and this morning). I called one account this morning and they said there were no attempts shown on the card. I'm guessing it's the website.

Thanks!

Posted by
1025 posts

You may want to seriously consider purchasing a tour from one of the tour companies, especially the really early ones or the evening tours. The crowds in the Vatican Museum are beyond description, and it was only because we were on a tour that we saw anything. We hired the Roman Guy company and were very pleased.

This has become such a serious problem, I think it is past time that the Vatican controls admissions, especially for the Museum and the Sistine Chapel.

Posted by
4573 posts

email the Vatican. I had this problem with tickets to the Vatican Museum and they replied quickly with what I needed to do. Their efficiency was impressive.

Posted by
185 posts

Thank you everyone for the advice. I'll try emailing the Vatican first and if that doesn't work, I'll look into a tour. Question though, with a tour, can you depart it whenever you'd like or do you have to stay with them the entire time?

Thank you
Amanda

Posted by
4573 posts

I just found the email I got from the Vatican. It says that you need a private code from your credit card company, called 3d Secure Code. My bank(Chase) does not subscribe to this 3d code, so, I had to call my credit card company to get this and I think what they told me to do was use the card again and when it went through they would ok it. We were able to get reservations for the Friday night timeslot. The email said you can't call your bank in advance-it has to be denied once and then call your credit card company and they will approve it.

Posted by
185 posts

Cala,
I emailed the Vatican and received the same email. We decided to book the Early Morning Vatican Golden tour with the Roman Guy. It's a bit pricey ($202) but we can enter the museum 90 min before it opens for our tour, which to me is well worth the cost.

Amanda

Posted by
4573 posts

Amanda, we were booking tickets for the Friday night opening, which should be much less crowded than regular hours, just like you going before the museums open. You will have a great time-the Sistine is one of life's great experiences and the rest of the museum's not bad either(this will be our 4th visit).

Posted by
185 posts

Cala,
The night museum sounds more like our style BUT we will have our 7 month old son with us so we have to plan around his bedtime. So for us, it's easier to do the museum in the morning after he wakes & is happy. I made the mistake of booking for a wednesay when the basilica isnt open because of papal audience so I've emailed the company to see if I can move it to Tuesday without having to cancel and rebook.

Amanda