Please sign in to post.

Travel Health Insurance

We are traveling to Italy and Greece for two weeks and we’re wondering which is the best and most cost effective travel health insurance? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by
4943 posts

There is no best. There is only what works for you, with your particular circumstances. Start with an online broker like insuremytrip, squaremouth, or the insurancestore. There you can compare different policies to see which suits your needs.

Posted by
314 posts

if just health insurance check out GEO Blue. Don't know if they would cover what you need but it's worth the look

Posted by
14089 posts

Think about what you want to cover as well. MedEvac? Will your insurance cover any medical bills overseas?

Some travel insurance is bundled with trip insurance which you may or may not want.

Posted by
11 posts

I purchased travel insurance through Expedia for our Paris trip this past March which included Health Insurance - roughly $91, per person. I try to never travel without it especially since COVID.

Posted by
4902 posts

You first need to know what your current health insurance does or does not cover.
When buying travel insurance, you usually get pre-existing condition coverage if your purchase the travel insurance with a few weeks of booking your first reservation, whether flight or hotel.
Be aware of what reservations are cancelable and which are not. Know and screen shot/print your cancelation policies.
There is a wealth of info on this Forum, so just search for travel insurance, and refine the Search, to get more recent info.
Good luck!

Posted by
707 posts

To get you started, you might like to read this thread.
https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/budget-tips/minimal-travel-insurance

It does get more interesting as it goes on (!) as people discuss different insurance policies for various needs, medical evacuation, major trip interruption, etc. etc. medicare supplement for international travel.... You also have some (coverage for minor things like lost luggage) on whatever credit card you used to purchase your flights. Yes, there is a most cost effective way, but really only you can add it all up and decide! By the way, will you be traveling again internationally within a year? I realized an annual policy is more cost effective for multiple trips. So I chose GeoBlu Trekker Choice insurance, but you need to have a major US health care provider in order to qualify.

Posted by
314 posts

@ Sandancisco the major health insurance would that include Medicare and/ or Medicare extension plans if the extension plan is with a major health carrier?

Posted by
707 posts

Hi Joyce, I hope this answers your question, but if not I apologize, I'd suggest calling primary health care provider and get details! OK, I had read on another thread listed above, that HMO's offer an international supplemental medicare coverage, so I called Kaiser Permanente to check. THEY don't offer anything in addition to medical coverage at the time of injury/hospitalization. (I have NOT had to deal with them, so I don't know the specifics.) IDEALLY you should call into your HMO ASAP after you need urgent care abroad, and figure out the paperwork, the agent told me I could wait until I'm back in the US, but I think that's riskier.

So, back to basics, I'm glad I have a GeoBlue Trekker policy! Which requires that you have a primary health care provider in order to qualify. I have the multiple trip version. https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/products/multi-trip/trekker-5-overview.cfm

Here is the exact coverage specified by Medicare, if you don't have a provider who offers more, and basically the answer is 'no coverage overseas' if I'm reading this right. - https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11037-Medicare-Coverage-Outside-United-States.pdf