Please sign in to post.

Trains Strike Italy 26th May 2023

There is a planned train strike in Italy on 26th May, we had planned to catch the train from Milan Central to Malpensa Airport for the next leg of our journey. I have read that Italo is private and does not go on strike , however I am unable to find trains for this trip on their website. Im assuming that Italo does not do this trip , looking for any advice. Thank You, Cheers Laurie

Posted by
8158 posts

We are scheduled to get on a cruise ship in Civitavecchia on May 26th. Thanks for the notification. We were able to cancel our hotel reservation @ FCO and get another up at Civitavecchia. Also able to get transportation on 25th. Taxi's and ground transportation appears extremely busy on May 26th from FCO--booked up.

Posted by
3812 posts

Since the 26th is working day, all local trains will run between 6 and 9 AM. After 9 AM the Malpensa Express is guaranteed to run even during a strike. Otherwise you would exit the station, walk for 200 meters and take the first private bus going to the airport.

Italo runs only high speed trains and does not go to the airport.

We are scheduled on a 1217 Intercity from Orvieto to Roma Tiburtina for the 26th, what are the implications of the strike for us? Thanks much!

Also where are you tracking this info? cgsse.it?

Posted by
6 posts

Just a quick ques. to add to this topic. I went to the official website and there were a couple of items I didn't understand. It states that this strike on 05/26/2023 is a "general" strike and includes all private and public . Does that include all transportation such as buses also? This strike is on for 24 hrs but does not clarify exactly which hours specifically. And finally, are these ever cancelled at this late date or should we just expect it will occur and make alternate plans? Thanks!

Posted by
1533 posts

Only the USB union goes on strike so it is likely effects will be limited. As a general rule, the big unions are CGIL-CISL-UIL; all three together would be a guaranteed standstill, but this is not the case. You should better have a B plan (for example, taking a bus or a taxi to MXP) and leave enough time for unforeseen circumstances, but it should be a survivable strike. Malpensa Express is run by Trenord.

Following up on this as well hoping for some recommendations. We can easily book a private driver or rent a car if needed but would prefer to keep our 1217 Orvieto to Rome train ticket as much cheaper. Any recommendations regarding whether we will be able to redeem our train tickets or do we need plan B?

Posted by
2 posts

I see there are folks on this thread knowledgable about Italy strikes. Our challenge, the AIR strikes scheduled for Sunday June 4th. This looks to potentially be a major disruptor, much like the one scheduled for 5/19. Lachera's comments seem to reinforce that. We are scheduled to be on a 6am KLM flight from Venice to AMS onward to Portland on the 4th. When I saw the strike calendar, I contacted Delta, trying to be proactive about a flight change, but they wouldn't do anything until they get a strike notice, unless we pay an additional $1250 to $1500! So we wait. Any sense of if or when the strike may change from 24 hrs to a shorter time frame, better yet be cancelled? When would the airlines get a strike notice? We will be traveling in Europe from mid May and hope to not have our return in limbo til the last minute. Thank you for any insight you may have.

Posted by
68 posts

Hmmm...I am flying into Rome from Dublin on June 4. Wondering if a strike would make that impossible. Any perspective on this? Really hoping that this does not derail the plans for Rome, as we don't have much time there in the first place. Thanks for any knowledge you can share.

Posted by
31 posts

Bumping this thread for any insight on @dsirwin’s question

@Dsirwin - My first time to Italy, i was so naive about any strike and how common it was. On our return from Florence, there was an airport strike the day before we were leaving and it impacted our early travel the day after. AirFrance re-booked us the following day.
The airlines did reimburse us for our hotel. We submitted a form with receipt.

Posted by
29 posts

Question question already have seats booked from Milan Centrale Station to Geneva Switzerland with SBB (Swiss. transport)--this shouldn't be impacted by "strike" correct ;-(. Will. have a rental car--if we HAVE to drive but man the penalty. for taking car out of Italy is outrageous

Posted by
1 posts

I am coming back to the USA from Rome on Sunday June 4th - my flight is at 6:45 am with a connect in Zurich at 9:45 . I am freaking out. I need to be at work on that Monday. Anyone hear anything new? should i be cancelling this trip?

Posted by
14 posts

We are flying to Florence on May 26 and need to get to Riomaggiore the same day. We were planning on taking a train originally. What are our options? First time in Italy. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!

Posted by
15826 posts

Just a gentle suggestion? Anyone NOT trying to get from Milan to Malpensa on 5/26 should really start a new thread with their questions so the OP doesn't get notifications for journeys that are not their own. This one is starting to get really confusing, and RS readers who might be able to answer unrelated questions won't see them if they are buried within a Milan>Malpensa post.

Posted by
9 posts

Where is the Italy strike notices list. Headed there May 29-June 16, trains and flights around the country. I apologize if this is already somewhere else. And I also noticed someone posted the best train for getting around an anyone direct me to the chain? Arriving and need a train pass. Thank you.

Posted by
15826 posts

rogerslegal, your question is really broad so please start a new thread so people see and so can respond to the multiple things you need to know.

Quickly, though, train passes are not normally recommended for Italy, and there is no singular "train" for getting around. You'll want to include where and when you'll be traveling in Italy to your new post, as lidaley has done in their new thread linked below, so your best options can be provided

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/train-strike-may-26