Please sign in to post.

Sicily

Is it safe for single woman to travel alone to Sicily ?
Ive heard stories of mafia etc
and is it necessary to book rooms ahead of time or can you find rooms while there

Posted by
5254 posts

I was traveling with friends on my visit to Sicily last spring, but often we would go our own way and meet back for lunch or dinner. With normal precautions that you would take anywhere, I felt perfectly safe.

I went in May and booked my rooms in February. When I would check back nearer the date, the same properties were fully booked. That may vary depending on the time of year you are traveling.

Posted by
1206 posts

Have you given any thoughts or consideration of taking the Rick Steves Sicily tour? I know people that took it and loved it. You may feel more comfortable in a group setting. If you do go on your own, I would certainly book hotels way before hand and not leave it until you get there. You want to make sure you have a room for the night and book nice hotels and not be left with any hotels you would not want to stay in but have to because you did not book in advance.

Posted by
7053 posts

Of course it's safe. Although there are historical mafia roots in Sicily, the mafia does not have any interest in random tourists. If you're a young(ish) woman, the older generation Sicilians will wonder why you're traveling alone (or why you're not married - an older gentleman actually asked me that!) but that's a generational quirk and not at all a safety issue. Depending where you go, especially more local (as opposed to touristy areas), English may not be spoken at all among middle-aged or older people (they never learned it in school, so it's rare to hear them speak it). It helps to know some Italian in small towns.

Posted by
7058 posts

If you know when and where you’ll be on a specific date, it does no harm to reserve ahead. Otherwise play it by year knowing you may not get your first hotel choice. Take the necessary precautions and safety shouldn’t be an issue.

Posted by
2 posts

I would like to travel to Sicily for a month for my 60th bday in 2 yrs but feel i need a mini recon trip to see where to go and where to stay around the island. Im thinking its too much island to see in 2 weeks and dont want to live out of a suitcase. Im not much of a historian and rather like the ocean and close to city center or town shops etc, but thinking Palermo is too big? ive been looking at many websites but its overwhelming. I dont m ind driving from town to town but would prefer to park the car while in that town and just walk or bicycle around, rest and relax, read etc. Recommendations??

Posted by
5254 posts

The places of interest in Italy are spread out around the island and in the interior. You can fill a 2 week itinerary nicely with just the east or just the west, perhaps adding some interior sights to either. I spent about 2 weeks (by car) just in the east/southeast, visiting Taormina, Catania, Caltagirone, Siracusa/Ortigia an Ragusa, with stops in Modica and Noto. I plan to go back for a 3rd trip to the West.

If you want a feel for the entire island, you could fly into Catania and go to Siracusa / Ortigia, then travel to the interior to visit Agrigento (for example) and then to destinations in the west before flying back from Palermo.

That feels like a lot of travel to me, when you could much more easily focus your first trip in one (or two) regions.

Posted by
5254 posts

In the southeast, Ortigia and Ragusa are very easy to park (if you drive) and relax.

Ragusa has a free parking lot at the base of town. My hotel brought us up to the property in the old town center. From there, everything was walkable.

Ortigia also has parking lots, though not free, in the old town. From there, everything is walkable.

Taormina is tougher for cars. There are paid lots. We stayed in quieter Giardini Naxos, which has a beach or two, and drove into Taormina and up to Castelmola.

Posted by
3551 posts

I took a tour there 2 yrs ago. It is a great place to visit. I walked around Palermo alone with no issues as a single female. Yes I was on a tour for rest of Sicily but I saw no issues. Mafia is a thing of the past.
I would have no hesitation to go solo. Of course do the common sense guidelines. Pick pocket type petty theft can happen anywhere in Europe. There are tours that are quite reasonable that u can consider for background history and ease of getting around. Perhaps a combo tour and independent might work for u. Depending on when u go it is advisable to have lodging recommendations. Parking can be difficult in small villages. They are historic so parking may be at edges of town. Beaches can be small and rocky so u should do research so u can find a hotel on the beach of your choosing.

Posted by
5254 posts

Mafia is a thing of the past.

My Sicilian (and other Italian) friends assure me that the Mafia is alive and well. As stated above, they're just not much interested in random tourists. They still carry a lot of power.

Posted by
1662 posts

Mafia is alive and well. As stated above, they're just not much interested in random tourists. They still carry a lot of power.

Very much agree, CW.

Susan, of course you know this - practice common sense and common safety. You won't see "The Godfather" reenactments. ;)

Think - "I am in Sicily!" Try the arancini for fun while walking around ("street food") You won't leave hungry, lol.

If you are staying near the sea, take in all its beauty - the sea has many benefits

Personally, I would try to reserve a hotel or B&B. Go online and have some fun researching different ones.

Carry the name and number of your hotel. Make sure your phone is fully charged in case you "do" get lost.

Keep your wits about you.

Pay attention to your surroundings. "Lock in" a landmark that you can look for or follow to return to your destination if you venture out to far. Example - a famous fountain or statue that is a major attraction - so when you mention it, people are familiar with it and can direct you accordingly.

Don't panic. Sicilian people are very nice and helpful.

Try to make the most of your travel day by getting out very early. Carry a cross body bag for easy access to your things while out and about. Have dinner close to your hotel.

Bring a Kindle or Ipad to relax with at night in your room. Look ahead for things for the next day.

Maybe treat yourself to some nice wine in your hotel bar or in your room if allowed - some hotels or places have fridges.

Posted by
5498 posts

Mafia is a thing of the past.

It certainly isn't! The Mafia is still going strong although to consider it as one entity is wrong. However, The Mafia are not interested in tourists or single females for that matter. They're interested in money and power, they're interested in extortion, drugs, sex trafficking, illegal refuse disposal, theft of any sort in fact any illegal activity that will make money.

Posted by
1215 posts

I was in Sicily for two weeks with my Sister this past April for almost two weeks. Many times during the trip we broke off and each went our own way for some hours. We are both in our early 60's, and I felt quite safe throughout our time there. We used public transportation throughout our trip, except for two separate days in which we arranged a private tour/transfer. Our itinerary was: Trapani 3 nights; Palermo 3 nights; Agrigento 2 nights; Ortigia 4 nights; Rome 2 nights, so we traveled west to east on the island. Next, I would certainly book rooms ahead of time, especially if you have a budget, and/or would like to stay in certain parts of town, etc. I just really like to know where I am going to lay my head at night, and that it will be in a clean, easily located hotel, and I don't have to spend time researching hotels when I would rather be sightseeing. When I am traveling on my own (as I have done in other parts of Italy, and in Croatia/Bosnia/Slovenia) I also prefer to stay where there is someone who sees me coming and going - like a hotel desk staffed 24/7 or a b&b with an on-site host.
In case it's any help to you, here's the link to my trip report: https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/trip-reports/sicily-trip-report-april-2019-2-weeks-2-sisters-part-1-trapani-erice
Also: there have been multiple postings by two other forum contributors, Zoe and Priscilla, who have traveled alone in Sicily and written marvelous trip reports. Both of their postings helped me tremendously when planning our trip. Zoe has sadly left this earthly plain for other realms, not long ago, but Priscilla gathered her delightful trip reports in one long chain. Happy reading!! Here's the link:
https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/remembering-zoe

Posted by
5291 posts

Thanks jmauldinuu!

Susan,
I spent 3.5 amazing weeks in Sicily traveling by public transportation in May 2018.
I always felt safe during my time in Sicily and enjoyed visiting this beautiful island.

As mentioned by jmauldinuu, I used my late friend Zoe's trip reports as inspiration for my (second) solo trip.
Zoe had visited Sicily multiple times, and I basically told myself this; if Zoe did it, so could I... Following in her footsteps...
Here is my trip report if you're interested: My trip to Sicily- In Zoe's memory...

The only time I felt uncomfortable and worried was when three Roma women demanded I give them money while sitting by myself outside a restaurant in Ortigia. You can read about this incident in my trip report titled, Siracusa and Noto.

To answer your last question.
I prefer to book my accommodations in advance.

I'd be happy to answer any questions that may come up during your planning. Ciao!