Please sign in to post.

Scrovegni Chapel

We really want to visit this site however are uncomfortable with being asked for Passport number to make on line reservation. Site does not even seem secure. I tried emailing the contact address and got no answer. I have not yet tried to phone them. Anyone with experience making this reservattions? Unclear why they need this information.

Posted by
2457 posts

I think they're just maintaining really tight security, since it's such an important site. My advice would be to go ahead and do it, as it is so beautiful and such a wonder to see- you won't regret it.

Posted by
3 posts

Regardless of the reasons for requiring a passport number, which do make sense, the site is not secure, as in https. Basic internet security discourages providing any personal information on non-secure websites, along with avoiding open public networks. A passport number by itself is far less immediate security risk than a credit card number, but it is one more crumb for data scraping to impersonate an identity.

Posted by
3167 posts

I visited the Chapel last October and made reservations on their website and included my passport number. No problem though that part of the site isn't secure. Once you get to the Viva Ticket site where you enter payment info, you are on a secure site. If you feel uncomfortable entering your passport number, you can also use a driver license.

Personally, I don't know why folks are upset to give their passport numbers. Is there some kind of scam that can use them?

Posted by
99 posts

We purchased tickets a year ago and provided the information and had no problems. If you're uncomfortable then don't purchase the tickets online.

Posted by
20186 posts

You have to provide your passport number to buy soccer (OK, football or calcio) tickets in Italy. Its the law. And nobody can do anything bad to you if they have your passport number. Its not your social security number.

Posted by
312 posts

Just wanted to say, don't under any circumstances let this prevent you from seeing the chapel. It is magnificent, and the small-group restriction on visits makes it all the better.

Posted by
2457 posts

You didn't say whether this was your first trip to Italy, but if so, it should be mentioned that whenever you check into your lodgings, you have to hand over your passport so that it can be copied for the police. It might be an hour or two before you get it back. Checking baggage at a train station might also require having your passport copied. So, it's best not to worry too much about it.

Posted by
15831 posts

You beat me to it, lnbsig!

Yes, every hotel we've stayed at in Italy has requested our passports at check-in for recording (scanning or photocopying, I assume) some of the info. Sometimes we've gotten them back right away, and sometime they've asked us to return for them after we've gotten settled in. So, some of your passport info will be floating around some other places as well. :O)

Posted by
483 posts

I believe you can telephone the Padua museums to get your reservation and ticket. This will still involve the passport number but will provide additional (though imperfect) security for your identity. As others have mentioned, passport numbers or photocopies are de rigeur for hotels and important site and event tickets. Scrovegni is really quite remarkable (better than Last Supper as a site, imho) and the Erimitani museum ain't half bad neither.