Please sign in to post.

RT to Rome for $281 May/2021

I was playing with Google flights to see how far in advance I can book a flight.
I set a date for May 2021 - The whole month of May has $281 RT from my airport to Rome via TAP airline. There is 3 hour layover in Lisbon.
Better yet, the business class is only $1904.
I never plan any trips this early. I usually do my due diligence around 4months prior to my itnineray (it kind of saved me from aggrevation of trying to get a refund during this pandemic)
However, this flight is too good to pass up. I am not sure what the refund policy on TAP airline is.
Any advise from a seasoned traveler?? Should I just bite the bullet and buy the tickets now, hoping for the best? Who knows what the pandemic looks like in 2021??
Even if the ticket is non-refundable, is the price too good to pass up?? And then there is a good chance the flight will be rescheduled or modified by the airline somehow...
Should I book coach or business??? Business is good value, but coach looks like a better value.
PS. I purposely left out the departing airport, due to unforeseen demand this post will create and drive up the price before I had a chance to decide. thanks.

Posted by
1046 posts

What a price! I'd look at it deeply to see what restrictions they might have on it - like are you inside the plane? do you get a seat by yourself? do you have to clean the toilets? All joking aside - every once in a while you can get lucky, really lucky. This may have been your time!

No airport listed? Hmmm, you're from Pennsylvania (that shows under your name) so I'm guessing either Newark or Philly. May 2021? I'm looking seriously at May too, hopefully to stay for a couple of months. Let's hope all the forces of the universe converge to make safe travel happen for all of us!

Posted by
3100 posts

If you are not too worried about money in general, I'd say book the coach ticket anyway!
It's a fabulous price, and I believe TAP is quite a decent airline.
If you can't go or can't get a refund, then you haven't lost much.

Posted by
1307 posts

Gene, I am risk averse but I think I would go for it, assuming that you can afford to lose the money if the trip proves impossible or unsafe.
Just be sure that you understand all the restrictions on the ticket and any add-on expenses that you might want such as seat assignment or checked bag.
I'd also recommend only booking with TAP and not a third party site in case any changes need to be made.
Let us know what you decide!

Posted by
11136 posts

We have been thinking of a return trip to Lisbon so will take a look at TAP for next year.

Posted by
2788 posts

Check out others posts re:TAP airlines under General Europe in Travel Forum elsewhere on RS web site.

Posted by
2737 posts

This isn't from Philadelphia, TAP does not fly from here. This appears to be a RT from Newark through Lisbon to Rome. The question actually should be "Why is TAP dropping the price to this point beginning next May, and continuing into July, as this price does not appear until May, before then it is up to almost double". They have listed $265 from May 4 or so through mid-July. TAP also actually wants $281, the other options are with various 3rd parties, who have lots of add-ons. Vayama BTW wants almost double, and then says sold out.

It also appears that TAP (from TAP, not the 3rd parties) offers a stayover in Lisbon of up to 5 nights for no additional charge, can take it in either direction. I have to remember this one.

Posted by
151 posts

Since my last post, the price has dropped to 265. Interesting.
Larry is right.. why is TAP doing this?? especially when flights before May is in over 550 range...
Business class is 1888 now.. which is tempting.. However, I just realized last leg of Lis to FCO is not a lie flat business seat.. just a little wider seat than conventional seat..

Booking directly w/TAP, the price is 283.95. However, you have an option of upto 5night layover in Lisbon.. Hmmm, never been to Portugal before...
If I take 3 days in Lisbon (for example) , that means I might have to cut my Puglia portion of my italy trip short (from 5 days to maybe 3?).. more choices, more dilemma... yichhs.. now I am getting mildly frustrated..

Posted by
6489 posts

I'd think of this fare in comparison to the cost of trip insurance, which for me would be a lot higher. Trip insurance is also non-refundable, you kiss that money goodbye unless something goes seriously wrong with your plans. This fare must be non-refundable, but if you can't use it you haven't lost much. So I'd go for it. And I'd buy directly from the airline, even if that cost a little more, rather than risk having to deal with a third party seller.

As for extra time in Portugal, it seems tempting (Icelandair has the same deal for Iceland). But one of the unknowns about next spring is what countries will be imposing what restrictions on people coming from what other countries. If Italy should require quarantine for people arriving from Portugal (i.e. staying there longer than just an airside transfer), your plans for Italy would change drastically. And if Portugal requires quarantine for travelers from the US, you won't be able to go on to Italy on schedule. You'll be running that kind of risk coming to Italy from the US, why add another country to the mix? Keeping in mind that the flights will most likely be locked in.

Makes me think of that movie where Tom Hanks is stuck at JFK because he can't enter the US or go back home. Do you want that to be you at either Lisbon or Rome airport? ;-)

Posted by
199 posts

Sounds like a great fare--I had to read it twice-- but what are the taxes?
Sometimes the taxes are higher than the airfare.
Hope it works out for you and have a wonderful trip!

Gosh, sure wish I was going somewhere...

Posted by
151 posts

TAP was scehduled to have IPO this year. Unfortunately due to pandemic that plan has been postponed.
David Neelman owns 45% of the company. He is actively trying to sell his portion of his company due to failed IPO.
TAP had one of the best years in 2019 in terms of active passesngers. Despite that they still lost over 100M Euros.
Most airlines lost about 95% of passesngers during this pandemic. I can't imagine what their financials is after the pandemic, especially when they bought fleet of new A330neo airplanes in 2016 with financing.

Worry is buying any airline tickets this far in advance, you have no idea which airlines will survive the pandemic. Already there are several airlines declaring bankruptcy, and I am not sure how strong TAP airline balance sheet is. My guess, it isn't...

Posted by
4675 posts

Sometimes great prices are real. About 3-4 years ago, British Airways offered Business Class for $1600 RT. The booking period was only 48 hours. However, the dates one could book ran thru their entire open schedule. When my daughter first called me about it, I didn't think it was legitimate. She booked one trip, received the confirmation, doubled checked the confirmation, and all was legitimate. So- we booked another trip together, and finished the process only 15 minutes before the booking deadline. I have never seen British Airways offer such a deal [from the West Coast] again.

Good luck and safe travels!

Posted by
8423 posts

What was a "normal" fare from your city in the past? If the difference is $800-1000, for $281, I think I'd take the risk. You might have opportunity to upgrade at the time if its a go.

I'm assuming that there won't be any liberal refund/voucher policies of any fares booked now, since COVID entry restrictions are a known risk. Is that a reasonable assumption?

Posted by
91 posts

If the airline cancels the flight or significantly changes the schedule, the US DOT refund rule should still apply, stan. All bets are off as far as consumer-friendly regulation, if the incumbent federal administration wins another term.

As far as voluntary waivers, my guess is that airlines will extend them as long as advanced bookings remain soft due to consumer uncertainty. That said, cash-value vouchers are almost always a bad deal, because discounts as generous as this will be long gone by the time people are ready to redeem their vouchers. (I like what the French did with their hotel voucher mandate. Prices must be as agreed in the original contract, and if the voucher isn't used within 18 months, a refund is required.)

Of course, travel supplier bankruptcy is an ever-present risk. For airlines, this applies regardless of who the investor of the moment happens to be.

Posted by
597 posts

The price of ticket does not include carry-on, seat selection and checked baggage if you choose so. For each leg of the trip you will need to pay for seat selection. Go to they website and answer questions as if you were flying with them to see what is the real price.

Posted by
2737 posts

The above post is incorrect. As best as I can read on the website, you will be allowed one 8 kg carry-on, which is 17.2 pounds and the same as Lufthansa (the two of us can do this on 2 bags for 2 week trips), and one checked bag at up to 23 kg (50 pounds) for the trop that is long haul across the Atlantic. Yes, seats will cost, but you can also pick at check-in for free. And advance seats now cost everywhere, it seems. Dinner and breakfast are included on the long haul legs.

Posted by
8 posts

i Continue to read about paying extra for seats. Dear Lord. My question is : I am the primary caregiver for the senior I am traveling with on TAP airlines. I change airlines if there is any other policy out there that allows us to seat together at no extra cost.
please advise,
michelle

Posted by
32713 posts

michelle, have you asked the airline?

Posted by
1662 posts

Responding to Michelle....

As Nigel wrote, contact the airline to see how definite arrangements can be made.

Also, when you make the reservations for airfare, most airlines have little drop down boxes for checking off needing assistance or special needs.

In your case with your Senior, I definitely think that applies.

If you can't get any answers on the phone or by email before your flight, get to the gate very early and once it opens up, ask the agent if they can switch seats or ask someone to volunteer to switch a seat so you and your Senior can sit together.