Please sign in to post.

Rome metro tickets

I did search the forum for information on this topic, but most of the posts were several years old. So, sorry if this is redundant. For the life of me, i cannot understand the ATAC website; half of which is in Italian only, so im turning to you folks. Its our first trip to Rome, and i would like, if possible, to just buy a few Metro paper tickets to have on hand and use as needed. We are there for 3 days, but as far as i can tell, we can walk (from our place in Monti) to almost everything except the Vatican. Plus, we will need to get from Tiburtina station via Metro to Cavour Metro stop upon arrival. If i can buy paper tickets in advance, would i be best off to use Apple Pay (if they accept it) rather than my contactless credit card since i dont think i have a pin on the card. Seems a whole lotta trouble for something that should be so simple. Its my own fault im sure. Thanks for any help, in the simplest of terms for "me" - Joe

Posted by
8041 posts

Rome is a major tourist site visited by people of all walks of life from all over the world; so they've made It is simple to buy metro tickets from the machine at the metro station or at a Tabac.
The machine (is in multiple languages) amd takes credit cards and you don't need a pin you just tap or insert.
Here is what the machine looks like:
https://www.explore-italian-culture.com/rome-metro.html

Posted by
7428 posts

Thanks for the link, Jazz.

My adult daughter was with me last year in Italy for her first time in Europe, and she wanted to learn how to do everything. The Rome metro tickets were very easy for her to figure out without my help since the machine will display in English.

I’m adding a reply because I just want to give you a reminder to seriously secure your valuables while riding the metro. A woman had my daughter’s purse open very quickly - we were both aware of our surroundings. Fortunately, we both were storing our passport, ATM and credit cards, and large Euros in our money belts under our clothes, so the woman wasn’t able to steal anything.

Have your valuables secure, and you can concentrate on having a wonderful time in Rome!

Posted by
319 posts

Most of the bigger Metro stations have machines and agents to buy tickets from. Speaking Italian isn't necessary either. The agents I have dealt with (Spagna Station most recently) spoke enough English to get me what I needed. The Metro might be more handy than you are thinking, especially if you are going in the hotter months. Walking is lovely in the mornings and evenings but it can be brutal during the middle of summer days.

Posted by
16043 posts

If you're looking for info on the basic BIT ticket, here's the info in English:

https://www.atac.roma.it/en/tickets-and-passes/bit

In the past, we've just purchased a few at a newsstand, tabacchi or other outlet displaying a sign that they sell them and then tucked them away. I've always paid in cash (old school, I know). We've only felt we've needed public transit a couple of times; Rome is such a great city to walk! Don't forget to validate 'em.

FYI: I've no idea why but the ATAC site takes a long time to come up on my laptop.

Posted by
3812 posts

fjj3748 , what's your question?

Are you asking If you can buy as many ATAC tickets as you want as soon as you want? Yes, you can get them at any tobacconist, newsstand and ticket machine displaying the ATAC logo.

If they must be used right after use? No, ATAC € 1.5 tickets are valid for "only" 100 minutes after time-stamping, not after purchase. Note that during these 100 minutes you can transfer any time you want in any direction between trams and buses, but you can enter the Metro system only once.

Both these pages have an English version, so do you have a different question?

Posted by
23460 posts

I have found that the metro system is very limited and generally did not go where I want to go. Focus on the buses and trams. They are more suitable for getting around central Rome. There is a time stamp machine on the bus -- be absolutely certain you use it. Wait two minutes and you may get a tap on the shoulder. We always stay in the Termini area for convenience to the transit system so we that we walk about 90% of the time.

Posted by
7697 posts

The Rome metro system has upgraded to use contactless, either phone or card, so you might consider that.

Posted by
27396 posts

If you want to buy tickets rather than tapping your credit card, I nave a couple of tips:

• If you buy tickets from a newsstand or tobacco shop, you'll need to pay in cash.

• If you buy from a vending machine, read the screen very carefully. I evidently did not and ended up with a card with multiple trips loaded on it rather than multiple separate tickets that could be shared.