Please sign in to post.

Rome and 🏡

I have arrived at the final episode of the journey and I write from the comfort of 🏡.

My last paragraph was (included here more for me than for you): Tomorrow morning I return the car (yay 🤣) and take the train to Roma where I'm sure my mood will improve tremendously. First, it's not nearly as cold. Second, there's tons to do if it rains. Third, it's ROMA. I should be at my hotel just off Piazza Navona around 2 pm, then 3 full days before my flight home Wednesday night.

Getting from Greve to the Florence airport was not the 45-minute drive that Google and the locals said it would be (did you really think it would be for ME? :-) I woke before the alarm went off, and took my time waking up and getting ready. I'd determined to be on the road by 8.30 to return the car by 10. At 7.30 I went down to bring the car from the parking lot to the front of the hotel. To my surprise, it was covered in a very hard layer of ice! All the windows and mirrors included. I spent a good 10 minutes alternately trying to scrape (using my driver's license) and using the windshield spritzer. I finally got a peephole of about 6-7". I very very very carefully drove up the narrow gravel path to the pavement and left the car in the middle of the tiny road. I correctly assumed that no one else would need to use it. Thankfully the car was now in sunshine and by the time I'd loaded all my stuff, all the ice had melted away. I was on the road at 8.20.

Everything was going smoothly, no traffic, easy curves and I even got on/off the tollway without a hitch. Then - you won't believe it - I took one wrong turn. By now I'd learned the best thing to do was turn around as soon as possible and go back to where I'd made the mistake. As I got closer and closer to the airport I started looking for a gas station (half full tank). When I passed the car return, I pulled over and asked Garmin to take me to the nearest gas station, which turned out to be very close and I even was able to fill up using my American credit card (with a chip, no PIN needed - and a good thing since I don't have one). I returned the car at 9.50. Plenty of time to unload the car and get to my train at Firenze SMN.

Another train ride in an almost empty car. This time I choose a silent car. There were all of 8 passengers. Then a Roman taxi to my hotel in a side street off Piazza Navona. I gave the driver (who naturally spoke nothing by Italian) the name and address on a piece of paper. I think driving a taxi in Rome is an awful job, there were mobs of tourists in the main streets, completely ignoring the cars. Then we drove through a warren of tiny streets lined with sidewalk cafes and more herds of tourists. Then the driver stopped and indicated that we'd arrived at the street the hotel was on. All cobblestones, me with a heavy bag (I refuse to pack "light") and no idea which direction or how far to walk. I sat tight and said "hotel!!!" We drove on for another 10E worth of cafe-littered alleyways until we arrived in front of my hotel.

I got into my room and out of my winter clothes. Rome was pleasantly warm and sunny. Piazza Navona was so inviting, I took a table and ordered an Aperol Spritz and bruschette and basked in the joy of the moment. Lots of happy tourists and a very few hawkers. The drink and snack were more than double the price around the corner, but you pay for the location. The bill came with a notice at the bottom "tip not included." After being trained by my Venetian B&B hosts, I completely stopped tipping in Italy and after about a day and a half, even stopped feeling guilty about it. The next day, I stopped for a "spritzetta" (a combo of spritz and bruschetta) for 1/3 the price about 3 doors down from my hotel. There were no tables available, but there were two friendly-looking young women at one with an empty chair. I asked if I could join them (you learn hutzpah as a solo traveler) and they were very welcoming. It turned out they were from Munich . . .

Posted by
15582 posts

and I suggested I leave rather than make them speak English. They insisted they were delighted to use their (excellent) English. We chatted and drank for nearly an hour.

Back to Day 1 in Rome. I had a taste for pizza and found TimeOut's top whatever. Emma was less than a 10-minute walk from the hotel, so that's where I went. I arrived before they'd filled up so I got an inside table and a really good pizza ("napoli" - with anchovies and bufala cheese) and big salad and a glass, well 2 really, of a good vino rosso. Though I had a bit of trouble walking there with google maps, I remembered the way back.

Day 2 (Monday) I had a 12.00 reservation for the Vatican Museums. I had a lazy morning and took a taxi with a woman driver who spoke only Italian (must be a rule now for taxi drivers) but was super nice and with her few English words and my fewer Italian ones, we had a few laughs on the way. Then disaster struck. I had to show my reservation to get in the door and I decided I didn't need to print it out, it was enough to have it on my phone. . . . and the entrance was a "dead zone" - I couldn't get any phone service! The guard finally took me to a clerk at the exit, where I waited for 15 minutes while he dealt with other people, not knowing what would happen. When it was my turn, he asked my last name and went back to his desk and computer. In a couple of minutes he found and printed out my reservation. What relief 😅.

Most of the Etruscan wing was opened (it was closed on both my previous visits) and I spent about 2 hours there. Then I went to the Pinacoteca (a few very fine paintings), a brief rest in the courtyard in the warm sunshine and back to work. I skipped a lot but lingered in the Rafaele rooms. I didn't spend much time in the Sistine Chapel . . . you really need binoculars to enjoy it. I would normally use my camera, but since they are strict about taking photos, that was a non-starter. When I left I had no idea how to get back to Piazza Navona and I really wanted a rest before dinner. I saw a few people waiting for taxis. One young couple were from Israel and we chatted for a bit, they said it didn't look like any taxis wanted to make money - a couple stopped but refused to take passengers (guess they weren't going in the right direction). I walked a bit, then used Google maps (why didn't I think of it sooner) and found a bus.

After a well-earned (IMO) rest, I walked back to Emma for another pizza - it was that good. I got there a bit later and they were pretty full, but since they remembered me (and thanked me for coming back) they found me a table outside. Well, not really outside, since the area was completely wrapped in plastic sheeting and the heaters were on. I had a long chat with a couple from England who were just finishing. After they left a couple of young men sat at that table and eventually we started (well, I started :-) talking. I knew they were Muslim because they didn't want anything with pork (the only meat Emma serves) and didn't want wine but I couldn't figure out what language they were speaking. They were Danish. We had a very interesting conversation, comparing notes on life in our respective countries. Lastly I chatted with the couple on my other side. Locals, she works with tourists. She said I should try the restaurant across the street for really good pasta. So I made a reservation.

Day 3. My plan was the San Luigi church (for the Caravaggios), the Pantheon and then the Palazzo Massimo alle Terme, near Termini and one of my favorite museums in Rome. I am relieved to know that after 5 hours at the Vatican Museums, I still want to go to another museum, so perhaps I am not the Philistine I feared I'd become (see my post after time at the Uffizi). The church was closed for a funeral, the line was long at the Pantheon (and looked crowded inside) so I just found a bus to Palazzo Massimo.

Posted by
563 posts

Somehow I have missed your other episodes and am now excited to go find them! Thanks for this great report. We will be in Rome in a couple of weeks and this is all such good info.

Posted by
15582 posts

Then back to San Luigi and then the hotel for a bit of a rest. Dinner at Taverna Lucifero was good. I chose the pasta with truffles and a mixed salad, decided not to have wine so I'd get a better night's sleep. Instead I indulged in mousse chocolate (really yummy). And complimentary vin santo and contucci (unexpected). I had a cup of tea as well, and they said that was also on the house. Service was excellent, prices very reasonable. The couple with 8-9 year old child had cheese fondue and then chocolate fondue. I was tempted to ask them to adopt me for the evening :-)

El Al notified me late the night before (Monday) that my Wednesday flight was rescheduled, leaving at 5.30 pm instead of 10 pm - and robbing me of half a day in Rome. Not too terrible, I didn't have any specific plans. So Day 4 was very short. I took my time packing and had just about an hour and a half at another branch of the National Museum of Rome - Palazzo Altemps.

The hotel arranged a limo service at the fixed taxi rate of 50E to FCO. It started to rain as my bags and I got in the car - aw gee, even Rome was crying that I was leaving 🤣😂. A tangled mess to get out of central Rome, then a smooth drive to the airport. I was surprised that the cafe prices were about the same as in the city - I'm used to gouging at all airports.

Now I'm catching up on sleep and laundry. I've adjusted easily to the time difference (one hour). Now that I've finished my trip report, I'll start looking at my photos.

Wishing everyone many happy trails, happy Easter, happy Passover. And thank you to all who took the time to comment. 💜 (the color of the new Swatch I bought at FCO).

Posted by
23261 posts

Why is this not in the Trip Report section? In a week no one will know that this is here !!!

Posted by
563 posts

And now I cannot find the reports on Florence and Tuscany! Verrry bummed.

Posted by
2622 posts

Great trip report, Chani!!!!!!! So glad you got out there!

Posted by
2427 posts

Thanks for the great trip report, Chani. We will be in Rome in a month and be sure to get a reservation at Emma’s.

Posted by
427 posts

Thanks for sharing your travels with us! We were in Rome in 2017 and also ate at Emma twice. I dream of the burrata still!

Posted by
3207 posts

Thanks Chani. I have enjoyed traveling vicariously with you.

Posted by
3961 posts

Chani, Wonderful trip report! Everything from the Aperol Spritz, Pizzas, bruschetta, vino rosso, Pasta, great B&B…. Fabulous! I am bookmarking for a return. Thanks for sharing!!

Posted by
6497 posts

Thanks, Chani, for this and your other reports. You're intrepid and eloquent and I like you sense of humor.