Please sign in to post.

Positano - Italy

Planning Amalfi Coast - but want to Air BB or something similar for two weeks around Positano area - Prefer to be high up looking down - BUT, unable to do the stairs so ideal a place within short distance to the bus which I can take down the hill etc. Thank you
diane

Posted by
7516 posts

Positano is largely pedestrianized, and as previously noted, has HUNDREDS of stairs. Are you planning to use the pebble beaches (and relatively cold seawater) regularly? It's going to be long transfer each day. If you are booking for 2023 (what MONTH, please) you are going to have a hard time getting one week, let alone two. You need to assess your budget, mobility, and where you need to be the day before and the day after your Positano visit. The subject is widely discussed here, so the Search box may help you., to center, blue.

The only busses in Positano go parallel to the coast, and are subject to heavy traffic (and heavy passenger loads!) from April to September. There is one two-lane road through Positano.

Posted by
3879 posts

The only busses in Positano go parallel to the coast, and are subject
to heavy traffic (and heavy passenger loads!) from April to September.

There is a bus that goes more up/down the mountain at Positano with an “up” terminus at the small village of Nocelle, which is where I stayed. The stairs up there? Far worse than Positano.

Posted by
16016 posts

Diane, I'll just echo the advice of the posters above and in your previous thread to choose a different location. Positano just isn't a good location for anyone unable to manage steep inclines and stairs: there are LOTS of them everywhere. I don't believe you can even get to the ferry pier without some steps/inclines. You also don't say when you intend to take this trip, and would be dealing with overfull buses during high season. Taxis are very expensive, even if you can avoid stairs/inclines to get to where they could pick you up. In short, please consider one of the alternate locations offered by the previous posters to better manage the mobility limitations.

Just to mention, many smaller or older accommodations in Italy unable to install them do not have elevators. As well, it's not uncommon for restaurants to locate their restrooms in the basements, down a flight of stairs.

Here is a former thread about visiting the Amalfi Coast with mobility impairments:
https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/best-way-to-travel-amalfi-coast-with-seasoned-adults

Have you been to Italy before, and would this be part of a larger trip to additional locations?

Posted by
4260 posts

I'll chime in like the others and say I don't see how avoiding stairs in Positano will be possible. Ravello probably makes more sense for being high up with a view.

Posted by
11414 posts

Italy June 2023 - Positano

Based on the title of your other post on the subject, I cannot help but wonder if a place that met your needs exists, if it would still be available on what is a relatively short notice. I hope you can get a suitable plan put together in the time remaining.