Please sign in to post.

Planning

Back in 2019, my daughter and I spent a week in Rome and what a wonderful week it was. Now my husband and I are going to Italy (COVID permitting) during the first 2 weeks of October for our 25th wedding anniversary (and celebration of not killing each other during COVID.) We are planning to spend the first few days in the dolomites hiking. We love hiking and have done so in many places including Alaska and Iceland. Then we will head to Florence for 5 nights and Rome for 5 nights. We have planned an excursion to Frascati. My daughter and I did the same excursion in 2019 and absolutely loved it. My daughter insists that her dad has to do it too. Not to mention that I purchased some divine olive oil and plan to do so again. I want to do a day trip to Pompeii. I am of course, excited for Academia and Uffizi in Florence. I plan to drag my husband to Borghese in Rome. He is excited for the ancient sites and we are both excited for the Dolomites because we are hiking nerds. My question....if you had one day tour out of Florence, what would you do? Let me add, neither of us is interested in Pisa. Do people recommend any particular tours to Pompeii from Rome? I wish I had a month I want to see southern Italy, but I guess I have to say next time ;) Haha.

Posted by
15809 posts

Tracy, here's a very recent thread where a day trip from Rome to Pompeii was discussed:

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/walks-of-italy-tour

As you'll see, some of us are in the camp of getting to Naples or Pompeii independently by train and starting a guided tour from there versus the tours from Rome which cover the distance by road; it's a lot of time sitting in a vehicle, and the Rome>Pompeii drive isn't especially scenic. That said, the "Walks of Italy" tour has been popular so if a 13-hour day - and over 1/2 of that time spent in the van - doesn't bother you, then go for it. :O)

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks I think I am leaning toward high speed rail and hiring a guide when I arrive. I don't want to waste time on a bus.

Posted by
1625 posts

Tracy-If you land up get planning fatigue, I would second the Walkabout Florence bus tour. You just get on a bus, they take you to three different towns, feed you lunch at an organic winery and give you walking tour in two of the towns.