Please sign in to post.

Packing SOS

Ladies!!! how you pack for 25 days in Italy on a carry on ???!!!!

Please se advice!!
Thank you!!

Posted by
4384 posts

Think of it this way: You don't pack for 25 days, you pack for the days in between laundry stops. Look at your itinerary and choose times when you will either rent an apartment with a washer (*You will need time for it to air dry--a rack will be provided) OR use a local lavanderia. You can find the closest one to your hotel with google. Of course ask your hotel too, as they may offer or be able to recommend a service.

Posted by
2427 posts

On this site, go to Travel Tips, Packing Light, Packing List, Packing List for Women for guidelines. Make sure that the bottoms you pack coordinate with all or most of the tops. Stick with a neutral solid bottom such as black or navy (just a color suggestion). Plan on doing laundry partway through the trip either at a laundromat, hotel service or in the bathroom sink (or a combination of all three).

Posted by
865 posts

You don’t mention where or when you are going, but Rome is already in the high 70’s daily.. you WILL do laundry. Relax, enjoy. Eat Gelato.

Posted by
2736 posts

When are you going to Italy? That will make a slight difference. I travel May/June or September because I don’t like cold weather. I pack the same for 1 week or 1 month.

Capsule wardrobe is black, gray, red with a bit of white. I take
*3 leggings (pants)
*6-7 shirts, long & short sleeve
*2 cardigan sweaters
*jacket depending on location/weather
*1 pr walking shoes
*1 pr sandals
*5 sets undies/socks
*PJs (shorts & tank top)
*Rain poncho
*all the assorted sundries/drugs I need for trip + 5 days
*laundry supplies for hand washing

Make a detailed packing list. Be sure all clothes mix and match. I’ve used the same list for four trips, just change it when something wears out, didn’t work, sick of it or changing capsule colors. I do sink wash every few days and hang to dry in the shower.

EDIT: I should have added that my RS Rolling Carry-On now meets my goal of 20 lbs. My tote is about 6 to 7 lbs because it carries my PayDay candy bars, paperwork folder and what I need/want on planes. My new goal for September's trip is not to check the suitcase on the way home, so carry-on both directions. I was a little annoyed that United left my suitcase in San Francisco on the way home last year. At least it was on the way home! Thank goodness for Air Tags!

Posted by
1369 posts

Don't pack "what ifs" or enough OTC meds or basic hair/make-up items for 25 days. There are stores in Italy. You can get any basic product at the grocery stores (Lidl or Carrefour) or pharmacies. And it's fun to look around another country's stores.

Peruse the RS packing forum for more detailed packing lists: https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/packing

Posted by
685 posts

I agree with the others, go with a "motif" or color scheme and then you can mix and match a lot of things before washing.

My problem is trying to fit the things I buy into a tiny suitcase that I already maximized all my space! I have a tote that can unfold and I can use, but that's easiest on the flight home, not still lugging things all over the country. And also, just to remind you, no need to "carry on" that carry on suitcase, I check mine every dang time. It also gives me more ability for souvenirs on my messenger bag and extra tote! haha

The biggest advantage of packing in a carry on size suitcase is that its SO MUCH EASIER to lug around the country on and off trains and up and down stairs!

Posted by
7294 posts

Here’s my entire packing list for a 33-day trip or a 21-day trip of European travel during Spring through early Fall season:

My Cotopaxi 35L bag filled weighs 13 pounds. It is very helpful to select clothes you enjoy wearing. Get out a kitchen scale and see which ones weigh the least and will dry quickly when you wash them. I don’t try to do a capsule wardrobe or have one color-theme of clothes. I need a variety of colors and wear them with neutral pants. Usually one of my dresses is black, so the scarves are also additional color & patterns, plus I bring a cheap, interesting necklace. I like wearing washable dresses, so I wear them a lot in Europe.

What I wear on the plane & the contents of my money belt:
3/4 sleeve B&W top
Pashmina scarf
Black pants
Underwear
Keen Sandals
Passport
2 ATM Cards
1 Credit Card
Euro large bills

What is in my day pack:
5 Coffee Nescafe sticks (to survive time zone changes & avoid migraines)
3 Individual Bags of nuts
2 Protein bars
Itinerary, reservation tickets
iPad
Apple shuffle, earphones, charger
Purse is inside my day pack when taking transportation; otherwise, I only carry a purse during the day. (contents listed here:)
PHONE
Reading glasses
Mints
Some TP
2 pens & paper
Purple Coin purse
Purell individual sanitizer packs

What is in my suitcase (my Cotopaxi): (This is in addition to what I wear on the plane.)
2 lightweight dresses
3 tops
1 Black capris or 1 black pants
2 scarves
4 panties, 2 bras
1 culotte slip
Lightweight nightie
iPhone/iPad chargers
Small flashlight
3 RS Electrical Adapters
Collapsible silicone cup - for coffee & to not use hotel bathroom cups
Lightweight Toiletry Kit contents:
Comb
Toothbrush/2 travel toothpastes (buy a small tube for rest of month)
Razor
Lightweight sunscreen
Mascara & Eyebrow mascara
Lipstick/Burts Bees balm
Crystal Deodorant
Dry makeup remover cloths
Meds
Conditioner - tiny concentrated tube, like a small toothpaste
Q-tips
Necklace & extra earrings
Columbia raincoat
Shoe bag for dirty laundry
A few ziploc bags
Earthbreeze detergent sheets in a small Ziploc
A backup pair of reading glasses
2 KN95 Covid masks
1 Plastic silverware

Posted by
23268 posts

We don't pack for 25 days. We pack for six days, laundry the 7th, and repeat. For us, it is basically --- wear one, pack two changes with a couple extra items for a little variation. Also, for us, every 5th or 6th day is a "lay day" -- sailing term. Nothing planned other than a little laundry, and catching up on the travel schedule. We often use a laundry site that is wash and fold with drop off. If not available then we join the locals and do our own.

Posted by
4574 posts

Lately my travels have been in hot countries. 6 weeks travel, one carryon. No extra packing Into a tote, though I carry one for the internal flights with minimal allowed weights. I hand wash frequently.
In Europe, I frequently use apartments, so I try for ones with washers.
Call it a capsule wardrobe, but every top goes with every bottom. 2 pairs of shoes...including what is worn on the plane. Multi-use solid toiletries. No blow dryer or curling iron.

Posted by
4844 posts

Everyone has their own packing list, but, as you might have gathered, you need to resign yourself to three things. First, you will do laundry about twice a week. Second, you will wear the same outfit a number of times. And third, nobody really cares what you are wearing. Beyond that, use black, white, and gray items that will mix and match. You can always throw in a couple of colorful scarves to add some pizazz. Thousands of women travel for even longer with just a carry on, and you can too.