Please sign in to post.

Last night in Rome

This was posted five years ago, but is exactly my situation. Any 2015 suggestions? (Only difference is we will coming from Orvieto instead of Siena.)
"We are traveling from Siena to Rome, staying that last night in Rome then flying out the next morning. We would like to stay somewhere central with a great view to give a great last picture of Rome and preferably transportation to the airport. We will have already been in Rome for 3 days the week prior, so will not be doing any tours that last day, just our own excursion. Suggestions?"

Posted by
15827 posts

Just a note on airport transport? Central Rome is a long way from Fiumicino (the airport I assume you'll be flying out of) and I don't recall a single hotel which offers (free) transport as part of their amenities. The usual options will be Leonardo Express train from Termini, express buses (like Terravision) from Termini, shared shuttles, private car service or taxi (which a hotel could call for you). Express buses cost the least; private cars and taxis will cost the most; the express train takes the least amount of time (30 minutes).

Posted by
18 posts

Yes, that is the airport. We were originally going to try to stay near the airport, but several RS forum postings mentioned how expensive that would be. However, if you have any suggestions in that area that would be great. We have flights around 11 am and are looking for somewhere a little nicer since we will be leaving our eldest son behind to study abroad.

We are flexible with transportation, but would lean towards the express train - so the Termini area is fine.

Thanks -

Posted by
506 posts

We just did that, and we stayed in the same hotel we did at the beginning because they knew us and we had a car all scheduled to take us to the airport the next morning. But we picked our favorite restaurant from the previous week, and had a great last night Prosecco and dinner! Oh and did a little last minute shopping the afternoon we got back in.

Posted by
15827 posts

Hi back, Tammy. We've stayed in a nice hotel not far from Termini but without the view you're wanting so let's see if anyone else has a suggestion?

Posted by
18 posts

OK - I'm exhausted and was so excited to see a post with my issue, that I must have missed the fine details. Don't care about the view - I mean it would be nice, but not a requirement. Also, don't care if the place provides transportation since we're leaning towards the train anyway. We are staying in an apartment at the beginning, so that is not an option for a single night at the end.

Just looking for a nice place for our last night that is close to an easy method for getting to the airport.

I appreciate the feedback!

Posted by
15827 posts

Tammy, I see you don't have any other responses yet so I did a little digging for more recent recos convenient to Termini from other RS members. Take a look at these suggestions - although many of them seem to be preferred for price rather than luxury:

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/hotel-near-termini-in-rome

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/hotels-in-rome-81bc0053-cdc9-4c35-b5f5-90d7aa6cd84b

I'd also look into the suggestions from the excellent Ron in Rome for his list of good hotels near Termini:

http://www.roninrome.com/hotels-spas/hotels-and-bbs-near-roma-termini

Of course a taxi will get you comfortably to the station from anywhere at all in central Rome so you can choose something in another area as well. You could click into others of Ron's suggestions here:

http://www.roninrome.com/%20hotels-spas/the-25-best-hotels-in-rome

Posted by
8293 posts

Last time in Rome we stay at Hotel Diana, about a four minute walk from Termini. Check it out.

Posted by
891 posts

We have stayed at the Albergo Abruzzi on our last two trips to Rome. It's on Piazza Della Rotunda with rooms with views of the Pantheon, which is across the Piazza. They arrange a fixed rate taxi for us to get to the airport at whatever time we tell them we want it. Be sure to ask for a room with the Pantheon view. Nice hotel, nice people.
Have a great trip, Mimi

Posted by
15827 posts

A very well-traveled friend of mine loves Albergo Del Senato on Piazza della Rotonda for its great view of the Pantheon as well (make sure you request a room with that view).

Posted by
22 posts

We've stayed at Seccy Hotel in Fiumincino. Lovely hotel in a residential area. Walk to great restaurants along the fishing docks right along the water.