Please sign in to post.

Itinerary advice for May 2024 trip - two adults, one 8-year-old

My husband, daughter (8) and I are travelling to Italy in May, and I'm having trouble with an itinerary. I'd appreciate any and all suggestions! I've spent quite a bit of time in Rome and Florence, so I'm looking to explore places I haven't been.

• 5 nights in Venice, with day trips to Verona and Padua (I'm an art historian and can't pass up seeing the Scrovegni Chapel!)
  • 2-3 days in Cinque Terre (most likely Manarola) -- it's a long train ride between Venice and Cinque Terre though... not sure if we try to break this up at all?
  • 2 days in Rome (I've been several times, but my husband and daughter haven't, and I figured it would break up the trip down south)
  • 4 days in Sorrento, with day trips to Capri, Pompeii and potentially a boat tour of the Amalfi Coast
  • We'd fly back to Ottawa from either Naples or Rome

My husband is set on seeing Pompeii, but otherwise he's flexible. I was wondering if we should spend some time in Tuscany between Cinque Terre and Sorrento rather than Rome? I've never been to Siena, for example. Problem is, we're planning on taking public transit the whole time, and I imagine you'd need a car to get around Tuscany.

Travelling with an 8-year-old, of course, complicates things... we're trying to strike a balance between kid-friendly and fun for adults!

Posted by
16397 posts

If you would like to see Siena, it could be a good spot to break up the journey between Venice and Manarola, which is 6-7 hours if you go straight through.

Venice to Siena is 4 h 11 minutes, with a single change on the way, at Firenze. Then Siena to Manarola is another 4-hour journey, with 2 changes, at Empoli and La Spezia. So the overall time is longer than the straight through journey, but only by an hour, and it gives you a chance to see Siena. Book 2 nights there. We really liked and hope to return for a longer stay.

Posted by
4878 posts

https://search.ricksteves.com/?button=&date_range=2y&filter=Travel+Forum&query=Amalfi+coast&utf8=%E2%9C%93

Above is from just one Search here. There's a wealth of personal recommendations and Trip Reports here on the Forum. Your topic comes up here a few times every week.

You have obviously done significant research thus far.

I don't think you need both Cinque Terre and the AC? Maybe Lake Como instead, and you could fly into Milan?

Be prepared for the sadly neglected infrastructure south of Naples, resulting in heavy congestion on the roads and trains. Things just don't work so smoothly in the AC. Getting around is time-consuming and frustrating, and there's no spring or fall shoulder season anymore, so the crowds are out in force in May. I can attest to this- we were in the AC May, 2023. I'll attach my Trip Report.

Of course, the variable of an 8 year old- gelato helps....In Sorrento, David's Gelato has gelato- making classes. In Venice, there's Row Venice, whole family rowing lessons on the back canals, 90 min, about 100 euros total for your family.

Have a great trip and safe travels!

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/trip-reports/venice-lake-como-sorrento-amalfi-coast-with-lots-of-rain

Posted by
743 posts

I'll agree with Pat on the Row Venice! Way fun and more enjoyable than an expensive gondola ride!

And going around the AC on public transportation.....I would try to stick with places that could be reached by ferry to stay away from the roads for ease.....though I have heard that they could get cancelled because of weather, I have never needed to go to the coast when there is bad weather :)

Posted by
4922 posts

Getting back to Otrawa from Naples will be complicated. You would need to spend the last night in Naples unless you have an afternoon or later departure. And would have multiple connections and/or an overnight stay in one connecting city. Leaving Rome til the end, and departing from there will be easier, although you will still have at least one connecting flight.

Posted by
3128 posts

Putting both the Cinque Terre and Amalfi Coast in your itinerary adds a lot of travel time on slow regional trains, so you have to deal with that. Maybe by building in a stop between CT and the AC. Then put Rome last, as suggested by others so you can fly out from there. That makes your flight home easier too.

Maybe something like this: Venice -Siena- CT— Caserta— AC— Rome. I suggest Caserta as it is a smaller town right on the main train line on your way to the AC, with a nice palace to see ( and grounds to explore) and a hotel close to the train. Easy for a one- night stop. Not something ideal, but better than a super-long train ride in one day from CT to AC, especially with a child.

Posted by
487 posts

I would suggest Lucca instead of Siena. My kids had a great time biking around the wall, and it is a little more direct on the way to the Cinque Terre. I also would suggest dropping one night in Venice to give yourself the full 3 days in Cinque Terre. Otherwise I like the prior posters' suggestions of Rome last.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks, all! I'm seriously considering cutting the AC out and adding in Lake Como (it's too bad, because my husband really wanted to see Pompeii, but I'm just not sure we can fit it in and am nervous about the crowds and public transit). My question would be, is it too much trying to do both Lake Como and CT? If so, which would you choose? Here's a revised itinerary:

Venice with day trips to Verona and Padua
Lake Como with day trip to Milan
CT (Manarola)
Maybe Florence or Siena
Rome

Posted by
11242 posts

My question would be, is it too much trying to do both Lake Como and CT?

I would be inclined to answer in the affirmative. Hard choice of which to eliminate, but if I had to pick just one to go to it would be Lake Como.

If Pompeii is too far afield, Ostia Antica is easily done from Rome and has the 'frozen in time' ancient Roman city experience. And it has a nice little museum as well. It's on a scale that an 8yr old can not feel lost in.

Posted by
4878 posts

Keep Lake Como. We were there in May, 2023, and found it beautiful, peaceful, busy, but not packed. People were there, but not with the CT or AC crowded frenzy level. I've been to Lake Como twice, and will return- it's that type of a place for me.
We like the Hotel Du Lac in Varenna, a lakeside room with balcony.
Have a great trip!