Please sign in to post.

Italy July 2022 - Amalfi Coast or Cilento Coast

My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy next July. We will fly into Rome. After spending three nights in Rome we originally planned to visit Sorrento and Amalfi Coast for 5-7 days. The more research I do on the area, the more I am reading about how busy it is in July. It also sounds very commercialized. One person compared it to an Italian Disneyland. Perhaps staying in a quieter village such as Vietri Sul Mare would be a good alterantive. Praiano also looks nice but not convenient. I am also wondering about the Cilento Coast. It sounds like this area is much less touristy and more authentic. Would this be a good alternative to the Amalfi Coast as we make our way down to Tropea. We will spend one week in Tropea, exploring nearby villages. We will have a rental car. We will fly home from Lazezia Terme I appreciate any and all feedback as I plan this vacation.

Posted by
3812 posts

Don't leave anything in the car. Never.
Visit the Greek temples if you are interested in archaeology, but the frescoes of the roman villa buried under Positano are one-of-a-kind
Take an high speed train from Rome to Salerno and get your rental car there. Why wasting time driving if you are not making any intermediate stop? Or, if you decide to stay on the Amalfi Coast, take a train to Salerno and get on a ferry to the village of your choice.
Are you sure you'll like a non touristy place like the Cilento Coast? Disneyland, after all, is easy. Having to use google translate any time you enter a bar gets tiresome after a few days.

Posted by
16894 posts

What are you hoping for at this destination? A quiet hotel, a swimming beach, certain views or sightseeing? I imagine (not having been to the Cilento area), that there will still be plenty of Italian holiday makers, even if not foreigners.

Posted by
4445 posts

I think it really just comes down to what you want to see and do. They are far enough apart that you won't likely visit one from the other, and I would not split a week up to do both. Make a list of what you would do in each place and that should make it clear.
If you do choose the AC, don't pick up the car until you leave the area, as the traffic in July will be unbearable.
I stayed in Pisciotta, and not being fluent in Italian has never been a problem (I can understand and speak a smattering).
I stayed in Cetara, adjacent to Vietri, and it is much smaller and prettier than Vietri. I also like Atrani, which is charmingly tucked in next to Amalfi.