Please sign in to post.

Cilento

Anyone familiar with the Cilento area? Giving thought to driving along the coast south from Paestum. I welcome any comments from people who may have been here. Thanks

Posted by
4209 posts

I recommend it all the time--all the beauty without the crowds of the Amalfi area! I stayed in Pisciotta, where there is a charming hotel. We visited Paestum and Velia (lesser Greek ruins) from there, and we also took a boat ride/hike out of Marina di Camerota (stunning coastal scenery). Some roads can be hairy, but the straight shot south is not. It does not get much mention in books, but if you google it, you will find several helpful articles and resources.

Posted by
4105 posts

Like valadephia we love this area. Much more laid back than the Amalfi area, fewer crowds and some great beaches with sand.

This is what we did ...there were four of us, daughter, grandaughter (18) nephew (22) and I.

Left daughters home north of Naples early morning, packed a picnic lunch and headed south on the autostrada. Stopped at Cascate Capelli di Venere for our picnic lunch and wanderd down paths to see the waterfalls. Beautiful area. Drive time for us (3 hrs.) from Paestum around 2 hrs.

Then on to Marina di Camerota, (1Hr. drive) cute seaside town with great views, apt. Mara Casa Talamo, for our 1st night.

Day 2. We visited Pisciotta, then on to our next stop at Castello di San Sergio, quad room "Aphrodite". Fantastic view patio. Highly recommend a stay at this 400 yr. old Castel. 2nights.

Day 3. We spent in Palinuro (15min.) and rented a gonzo boat and a did a tour of the coast and the Sea caves. Back to Centola and our view terrace.

Day 4. Drove from Centola to Acciaroli, (1 hr.) home of the largest number of folks 100 and older.
Colorful fishing village, great beaches. We then headed to Santa Maria Castellabate. 35 min.
Stayed at Fontanella-Beach Resort. 2 bed apt.
Right on the beach. 2 nights.

Day 5. Went to Borgo Castellabate, (20 min.)
Midieval village with views over the Tyrrhenian Sea.

Day 6. S.M. Castellabate to Paestum (35 min.)
We ran into a landslide here on the "coast road"
Which ended up in the hills, so we had to head back and out to the autostrada. Spent the morning in Paestum. Afternoon at Tenuta Vannulo Buffalo farm (15 min.)Fantastic lunch and a very informative tour seeing how mozzarella
Is made.

Stopped in Salerno (45 min.)walked the old town
Had dinner and headed back to daughters house.

Edit: we did stop in Agripoli on our way to Paestum, but found it wat too over run with tourist so left.

Posted by
449 posts

Loved this area.

Stayed a week in St Marco, Castellabate at the Approdo Resort Thalasso Spa. It was lovely. St Marco really sweet small town. Its just along the coast from the larger Santa Maria - you can walk between the two along the beach (although there is also a regular bus).

Lots of walks in the area, tho' we didn't do them, but met lots of walkers.