Please sign in to post.

Italy Day Trips

Hi there!
We will be in Italy for ten days (flying into Rome and then heading to Venice) and we would like to plan a day trip to Pisa and a day trip to Milan. Would love to hear your recommendations on transportation options, best ways to schedule those, etc!
I feel somewhat confident figuring out our large travel needs (from Rome to Venice and then Venice to Paris for another four days), but do not feel as confident with the day trip planning. Thank you!

Posted by
8073 posts

You didn't mention Florence, which is amazing, far more interesting that the Leaning Tower of Pisa and the Bapistry and Cathedral there.

If you visit Florence, you could easily do a day trip to Pisa.

A day trip to Milan from Rome, Florence or Venice is not advisable due to the distance involved and waste of travel time.

If you want to visit Milan, then do it AFTER you do Rome, Florence (perhaps Pisa) and Venice. 4 days in Rome, 3 in Florence, 1 day to Pisa and 2 days in Venice.

You are planing to go to Paris after Venice. You could visit Milan on your way to Paris, not sure about the rail travel involved. If you only have four days planned in Paris, then forget Milan.

Or, forget Paris and visit Milan and then Switzerland.

Posted by
7644 posts

Pisa is easiest to reach by way of Florence (Firenze on the Trenitalia train app). Would you want to stay overnight in Milan (Milano in the app) on the way to Venice?

If you would like to share what types of things you are wanting to see & do, our forum could suggest some other cities that are closer to your Rome & Venice endpoints for less time on the trains.

Posted by
5322 posts

A day trip means returning to the starting place at the end of the day. Neither of those places lend themselves to a day trip from either Rome or Venice, unless you relish the idea of spending 5-6 hours of the day sitting on a train. However, with an intermediate stay in Florence for a few nights, you could definitely day trip to Pisa, and even Milan. Although you could stay overnight in Milan en route to Venice from Florence.

Posted by
16364 posts

Courtney, are you still going to be traveling with a group of 8-10, ages 10 - 40? And I see that Paris and Venice are must-do's? And when it is this trip? You are (at this time) planning to travel Rome> Venice via rail and have that figured out, yes?

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/general-europe/3-country-itinerary-help-needed

That aside, I'll agree with the others that neither Milan or Pisa are considered day-trips from Rome. They're too far away so eat up too much of a day in transport. I'll also agree with choosing Florence as a base if wishing to see Pisa. With 10 days and a large group to try and shuttle around, the fewer moves, the better so I'd skip Milan altogether.

So, I'd shelve even the Pisa idea OR break Italy into 3 parts. How many nights will you have on the ground in Italy? It makes a difference as 10 nights gives you 9 full days plus whatever hours of a day you have left after arrival in Rome Then subtract 1/2 a day for each location move. You could have an itinerary like this?

Day 1 - arrive Rome, jet-lagged partial day
Day 2 - Rome
Day 3 - Rome
Day 4 - Rome
Day 5 - Transfer to Florence; partial sightseeing day
Day 6 - Day trip to Pisa. Maybe add Lucca as well? Both can be done in a day
Day 7 - Florence
Day 8 - Transfer to Venice; partial sightseeing day
Day 9 - Venice
Day 10 - Venice
Day 11: transfer to Paris.

You could take one day from Florence and add it to Venice if you wish but what with having to move a large-ish group around, I think I'd stay put for at least 3 nights. Florence is great; lots to see there. The Pisa+ Lucca combo is an adventure day quite a number of posters have done, and your group might enjoy a wander ofthis once-fortified town with its Renaissance-era walls still intact and walkable/bike-able!
https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/video/lucca-italy
https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/read/articles/lucca-italy

If you'd end up with only 2 nights in Florence then I'd skip Lucca and just do Pisa - can do that one in 1/2 a day or less only interested in the tower - so as to give Florence the other 1/2 of that day.

Just some thoughts?

Posted by
4 posts

Good morning!
We are coming as a group of 8-10!
We have a couple teens traveling with us that would really like to see the leaning tower, so I would like to make that happen the smoothest way possible for everyone traveling. If having a day or two in Florence would be the best for that, I don't think anyone would be opposed!

Posted by
1634 posts

A day trip from Florence to Milan is feasible as I routinely do it for medical visits or business meeting; a fast train does it in 2 hours, I often leave Florence around 1.30pm to be back around 9pm. The problem is more that getting admission to Last Supper is difficult and Milan's sights are somewhat spread, so you are not going to see too much in six hours; it is more the city that does not look too good for day trips than the train travel.