Please sign in to post.

International Drivers License

We are planning to drive in the Tuscany region starting from Florence in August. Is the international driver's license required to drive in Italy?
Thanks for your help.

Posted by
251 posts

It's an International Driving Permit, which you can get everything taken care of for $30 at the Auto Club. You aren't required to be a member. Must be taken care of before you depart the US, and it's good for one year, and you can choose which day you want it start as valid. (If you get it tomorrow, but don't need it until August, you can use an August valid/start date.) All of this is assuming your driver's license is current.

Posted by
4121 posts

Yes, an IDP is a legal requirement in Italy.

Posted by
6531 posts

Along with your regular state-issued driver's license. The IDP authenticates the license so some Italian cop doesn't have to figure out whether this card that says "Montana" is actually what you say it is. Even if it weren't required, the IDP would be worth having in case you need it.

Posted by
251 posts

Allan, (noticing you are from Canada) do I understand that US citizens do not need an IDP to drive in Canada and vice versa for a short visit? That a US state issued license works. I've only read once that you need an IDP, otherwise all other info has said no. (sorry I know this isn't what the OP is asking about.)

Posted by
222 posts

Yes it is required. I have been stopped twice in Italy at random road checks. The officier spoke no English, but my DL and the IDP was all that was required. No idea why I was stopped, but there was no issue with my English language DL and the IDP. Spend the money as it is cheap insurance.

Posted by
15204 posts

Italian State police or Carabinieri don’t need a reason to pull over a car. Random checks are done for any reason. In many cases those checks are based on age profiling (younger people more likely to be stopped), racial profiling (North African or Middle Eastern looking more likely to be stopped), national origin profiling (cars or individuals displaying a maple leaf more likely to be stopped for a Molson test).

Posted by
4121 posts

Allan, (noticing you are from Canada) do I understand that US citizens
do not need an IDP to drive in Canada and vice versa for a short
visit?

Correct. There is a cross border agreement to honor each others DL's for short term stays of up to 6 months.

Posted by
501 posts

At official level driving in Italy without a International Driving License issued from outside European Union is like drive without a Driving License at all (there are exceptions for bilateral agreements between single countries).
So if there is a police control your non-EU DL is not enough and is mandatory have the IDL too. You are fined (minimum 408€) and your car is confiscated for some days: you cannot drive again after the control. With the car confiscated you must find an alternative solution to continue your travel and probably the rental company will charge you the costs for rescue the car.

On the other side, an IDL is only a translation in English of the DL, so nowadays a lot of policemen are not paying attention if you have the IDL or not. They are used to read DL from Germany or France that are written in English like a US or Canadian one. Is possible some tourists report that they haven't the IDL and after a control nothing happened, but is a personal risk.

Posted by
119 posts

So I just got burned by not having an IDP.

I booked a 10-day rental, pick up at Catania Airport, return at Palermo Airport.

I found the price through Kayak. But the supplier was called Economy Bookings. I didn't pay attention, thinking it was Economy Car Rentals, which is better known.

Economybookings.com is based in Latvia so it may not be as well-known as the various other brokers.

I prepaid about $590 for the rental, with another $65 due at pick up.

The supplier is Europcar, which I felt good about, usually have had no problems with them. When I show up at the counter, the agent tells me that I can't have the car without an International Driver's License.

I've been renting cars in Europe for about 30 years, including many times in Italy. I've never been asked for it.

I did get it once years ago at AAA, for about $10. But nobody ever asked for it and I've never been pulled over so I stop renewing it.

I didn't think that a translation of my driver's license issued by a private company like AAA had some official validation. I understand that the police will be looking for this IDL with foreign drivers.

However, does a rental car agency have the right to refuse my car rental and keep my money? I went back to Economy Bookings and they said it was a no-show booking -- I was at that counter for about an hour.

So the funny thing was, the Europcar agent said that the voucher requires it and it does indeed say "required." I've looked at other recent vouchers I've had and they do not say "required." If they mention IDL at all, it's not listed as required.

The Europcar agent suggested I go to another agency, motioned at the next counter over, which is a local company called OS Rents.

Well yes they were willing to rent me a car for €810 Euros or about $873 on my card. I had no choice, otherwise would have been stranded. This other agency gave me an old Fiat and they also put a €2000 hold on my card as well. Who knows, maybe I will run into issues again.

This is the first time I've not been able to pick up a car that I rented in Europe. It's never happened to me in Australia or New Zealand either.

So now I'll make sure to get the IDL but also look closely at vouchers. And I will never rent from this Economybookings.com ever again.

I complained to Kayak, so maybe they will lower the ratings. If I have a way to leave them a review, I'd do it but they're not on any site.

Posted by
4121 posts

Italian law says you have to have an IDP, the terms and conditions of the rental said you had to have one, I don't know why you think the company deserves to have it's ratings lowered just because it's never happened to you before. I've never been in a car accident before, but I still have insurance.

Posted by
15827 posts

aghast11, It's not an IDL; it's an IDP. The subject has been covered more times on the forum than we can shake a stick at. Yes, it's required, and yes, a rental company can refuse to rent to you without it. Just a few of the instances:

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/rental-car-without-international-license-we-are-already-in-italy

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/rome-car-rental-international-driver-permit

Poster Kathleen mentioned being required by her rental company to produce it way back in 2009:
https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/tuscany-driving-adventure-need-your-help

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/do-i-really-need-an-international-drivers-license-in-italy

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/does-one-really-need-an-international-driver-s-license-to-drive-in-italy

The law from the forum's resident Italian and former resident of Italy, Roberto:
https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/drive-without-idp-at-your-own-risk

Getting the required permit is simply a matter of doing the homework for driving in Italy. You may not have been asked for it before but that doesn't mean you don't need it. It's unclear whether previous posters who were denied their rentals were also charged for the reserved rental period.

Posted by
32824 posts

I don't know why you would condemn the rental place which is doing as it is required and saving you from problems, and when it is your fault for not complying and not obeying the law? When you point a finger at them you have 3 pointing back at you.

You've been around the Forums for 3 years - did you never see any of the many discussions about the IDP?

Posted by
15204 posts

Art. 135 of the Italian Vehicle Code specifically states that an IDP or, alternatively, an official certified translation of the home Driver's License is required for anybody driving in Italy and not in possession of a Drivers' License issued by a EU country or a number of European countries not part of the EU but part of the European Economic Area. The US or Canada do not fall into these categories. The fine for Driving without an IDP or official translation is a minimum of 408€ (ex art. 135). Although some rental car offices may not ask for it, yet it is their right to refuse renting a car to whomever does not comply with the local laws. An Italian who comes to the United States is required to have an IDP in about 10 States.

Posted by
393 posts

Off the main topic but on the "required for driving" topic:
If you wear glasses for driving, you're supposed to have a backup set of glasses with you I've never done that - I just learned it, so I'll bring my old pair along with my current pair.

Posted by
32214 posts

"If you wear glasses for driving, you're supposed to have a backup set of glasses with you"

Even if I had no plans to rent a car, I think it's a good idea to bring a spare set of glasses when travelling. Without glasses I'd have trouble even reading the electronic sign boards in the rail stations!

Posted by
4121 posts

I've always travelled with a backup pair of glasses as well. I've never needed them, but it's nice insurance just in case, and they take up very little space.

Posted by
32824 posts

several years ago I was leaving a British Touring Car Championship weekend at Silverstone when, just as I turned onto the highway and a lens dropped out of my glasses. I was able to see safely with one eye for a short distance but reached into the glovebox for the spare. Swap, and job's a good'en. Whew. Always have a spare pair within reach when driving. In fact I think the prescription Italian sunglasses were first, from the centre console. Two spare pairs. Sunglasses at night!!!