Please sign in to post.

Gluten free in Italy

Is it difficult to eat gluten free in Italy?

Posted by
2457 posts

If you use the Search bar above to search 'gluten', you'll find a lot of queries similar to yours, with encouraging replies. I'd go ahead and search it for specifics, but overall it looks like you'll do fine.

Posted by
11344 posts

More and more possible every day. Sections in grocery stores and many menus with GF offerings. A few I have been to require 24-hour notice to have GF pasta on hand, but that's not always necessary. And every waiter seems to understand!

Posted by
11613 posts

It's very easy. I posted a couple of times on this topic. Just say "senza glutine" and the waiter or the chef will come to your assistance. I always buy a package of rice cakes (supermarket or pharmacy) in case the hotel doesn't provide gluten-free bread at breakfast, and let the front desk person know when I check in.

Children are now tested at age six for gluten allergy/intolerance, so the Italians are ahead of most countries on this issue. The government provides a sum of money to cover the increased cost of gluten-free food.

If you want specific recommendations for restaurants, let me know once your itinerary is set.

Posted by
11294 posts
Posted by
940 posts

Can't speak for all of Italy - but if you are in Florence - Ciro & Sons has a huge gluten free menu and a separate kitchen - we are NOT gluten free, but we ate there off their regular menu and it was so wonderful and we saw LOTS of gluten free people there eating pizza/pasta that looked great. We got this recommendation off both these forums and TripAdvisor.

Posted by
11613 posts

If you are in Roma, the restaurant Voglia di Pizza (near Via Arenula) has both gluten-free and regular menus; the gluten-free items are delivered to your table with a little flag on the plate.

Posted by
15829 posts

We didn't need gluten-free either but I'll put in another vote for Ciro & Sons. It seems to be a very popular choice for people with celiac disease, and if their gluten-free is as good as what we had off the regular menu, you won't be disappointed! Nice place.

(Note their 1st place prize in the World Championship for gluten-free pizza, and that reservations are a MUST if you intend to order a gluten-free pizza: tell them in advance when you make your reservation).

http://www.ciroandsons.com/eng-index.php

Posted by
45 posts

Not only was it seemingly so much easier on my last trip than 5-7 years ago, but I must say that I learned of the issues I (and others) may have with gluten in Italy MANY years before the anti-gluten wave swept the States....the article someone else mentioned was a fairly accurate one in my opinion: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/29/travel/gluten-free-dining-in-italy.html?ref=travel

What really impressed me as well was gluten-free gelato at: http://www.dellapalma.it/en/
Their normal gelato is some of the best in Rome and they offer a dizzying array of flavors.

It gets easier year by year, especially in major cities :)

Posted by
451 posts

I am a Celiac as well and need to be gluten free as well. I have stomach issues so gluten is a no go here in the states.

On my last trip to Italy in 2013, I used Triumph laminated dining cards that help explain the situation. Triumph has cards laminated in various languages that explain the issue and foods. However, most restaurants were accommodating. The only place this was not possible was Venice where I was eating the amazing Chichetti. After three days of it, I did not suffer any complications from the bread.

After three trips totaling six weeks to Europe, I have not been affected by my Gluten sensitivity. I think it is because of the fresh ingredients and the lack of processed foods used in the bread. My last trip to Germany, I had lots of Pretzels and Wiener Schnitzel without any problems.

Italy seems most educated about the condition. In France, normally the chef would come out after presenting the card and talk to me about menu choices. In Germany, they just read over it and handed it back.

Don't be afraid. You will have a great trip!

Wade