Please sign in to post.

Getting from Villa Bonelli to FCO for 630am Flight

Hi all! I know there are many posts on how to get to FCO but I couldn't quite find the answer I needed so I decided to post my own...
So, we will be staying in an apartment on Via Ripandelli (very close to Villa Bonelli) and will need to be at FCO for a 630 international flight (4 persons with 4 large suitcases). The regional train that we will use to get to the apartment is out, as well as Terravision and SIT shuttle as they all arrive too late for a comfortable check-in. Our only options it seems would be a taxi or a private car.
For a reliable service, I investigated RomeCabs and I was quoted a price of E65. There are a few cheaper options but reviews are not good. I THINK a taxi may be cheaper, BUT how can I find this out now? Is Villa Bonelli in the fixed-rate zone? Do taxis charge for early service? Is there a way to reserve a taxi online? Is there another alternative to get to the airport that I haven't thought of? Sorry for yet another "how to get to FCO" question, but thanks for any help!!!

Posted by
8293 posts

Why not end your agonizing over it and just book RomeCabs? €65 divided among the 4 of you is not exorbitant, especially considering the early hour you must be at the airport. Do yourselves a kindness.

Posted by
4890 posts

We can not say enough good things about Rome Cabs. Have used them a number of times and have always been pleased. Some people just have the hotel make arrangements for transportation. The problem with having the hotel make arrangements is that you might wind up with a regular cab, a car service, or the desk clerk's brother in law. Happened to us once but there were four of us and only one brother in law so there wasn't a problem. TC

Posted by
15236 posts

Flights departing that early in the morning are headed to some European hub (Zurich? Brussels?). The requirement for such flights is generally to have completed the baggage check in and have a boarding pass in your hand at least 45 min prior to departure. As such being at the airport 60 to 90 min. prior to departure is sufficient. I like to get to FCO 75 min prior to departure for an intra Schengen flight.

Via Ripandelli and Villa Bonelli are in the Quartiere Portuense, which is actually closer to FCO than the city center. The taxi fare is 42 euro according to the online calculator of www.3570.it, the website of one of the Taxi Cooperatives in Rome. Add to the above fare, a City imposed night surcharge of euro 6.50 (applicable before 6am). There is also a charge of 1 euro per bag going inside the trunk.

So the total taxi charge should be around 50 euro.

For Taxi tel. numbers in Rome, see my comment in the thread below:
https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/booking-a-tax-in-rome-in-english

Posted by
11613 posts

I would use the Roma Cab option unless you are sure you can explain what you need, i.e., a large capacity vehicle.

Posted by
712 posts

Thanks all! Yes Roberto, we are actually flying to Estonia with a layover in Belgium. Thanks for the taxi info! All reviews for Rome Cabs have been fantastic. It sounds like it is the easiest and best bet and it would be only be like €4.50 extra per person. I didn't known the exact taxi rate and thought it was a more substantial savings.