Please sign in to post.

Esim

Will be visiting Italy (Amalfi coast & Sicily) in April for three weeks. I would like to use an eSim card but have no experience with them. Any suggestions.

Posted by
379 posts

I used a data-only eSim from Airalo for a couple of weeks and had good results.
https://www.airalo.com/

I was able to configure my phone so that it used the Airalo Esim for data and then I could use my regular T-Mobile sim to call family

Posted by
274 posts

I'll echo the above comment. We were in Italy for just shy of three months last summer and I used an Airalo eSim the entire time. It took me a little bit to set up correctly (make sure you follow the set up instructions), but once I did that, it worked seamlessly. We had great coverage in Rome, Florence, Treviso, Milan, Stresa, Mantua, and various smaller towns. I thought it was great for the price.

Posted by
4078 posts

I would be cautious following advice from first time posters about a product.

I also use Airalo’s Europe plan - they have one good for 30 days that works for my longer trips, as well as packages for shorter trips. I have been easily topping up the same eSim for a year now, so I don’t even have to worry with set up after my first time.

There’s already a lot of good info on this in the Technology forum. It would pay you to peruse that first.

Posted by
6312 posts

I agree with TexasTravelmom - be very careful about people who post links here who are first-time posters. This board gets a number of spammers so it pays to be careful.

I will second the rec for Airalo - it's a good plan and inexpensive. The company has good customer service and it is easy to install and activate. You can buy a plan for just Italy or for all of Europe. I bought one for Germany last year and it was good for 30 days - I had 10Gb of data, which was more than enough for me, and it cost around $20.

I will also suggest what TTM did - go to the Technology Tips forum and read some of the posts there. There are quite a few that discuss eSIMs and Airalo.