Please sign in to post.

Driving amalfi coast

We are driving between Sorrento and positano. My husband is a confident driver but I have been warned that it is very difficult. Any suggestions?

Posted by
11613 posts

Let him do the driving. Seriously, it's not that difficult, but the road can be very busy (meaning slow), and the driver does not get to enjoy the views very much. Parking for a photo op, meal or snack can be a problem, too. Summer is busier than other times of the year.

Posted by
15593 posts

I wrote this thread while I was in Italy this past February. I suggest you consider it carefully, keeping in mind that there were almost no cars or buses on the road most of the time, since there were very few tourists then - most hotels and B&Bs are closed in winter as well as the ferry lines.

I've driven a lot on hilly, winding narrow roads, including coastal ones. This was one of the most difficult I've been on. I'm also used to aggressive drivers - Israelis are among the worst.

If you are only going as far as Positano, it's okay. For the most part the road is inland and wider, though it is still only 2 lanes. If you are planning to stay in Positano with a car, either leave it parked and take the buses and ferries to the rest of the AC or expect parking to be both expensive and scarce.

Posted by
1018 posts

I've driven the Amalfi three times and the first time was a white knuckle death grip on the steering wheel experience. The following two times were intense, but not as nerve wracking. All three drives were in the summer, which is an extremely busy time for that area.
Each time my wife saw some beautiful scenery and I saw the road. The most frustrating element were the guys on scooters and their tailgating. We are Harley riders and we usually have solidarity with bikers, but these guys...not so much.

Buon viaggio,

Posted by
4105 posts

Have driven the Amalfi Coast many times, in April, May and late September early-late October.
Would never do it in high season. Last year we were there in early September, and traffic was literally stopped!
It took 2 1/2 hrs to go from Positano to Sorrento!
Personally, I'd take the Positano shuttle.com and utilize the ferries to hop from town to town.

If you're traveling any other time than high season then a car would be fine.

Timetable for the shuttle
http://www.positanoshuttle.com/positanoshuttle-bus-timetable-2/

Posted by
11199 posts

The road itself is fine. Its all the other other traffic that makes it slow going.

If you meet a bus or semi at a curve, be prepared to back up. ( Yes, I meet a semi and had to do so)

The road to Hana is a worse drive because of all the curves and one lane areas

PS- just noted you are from Australia--- are you accustomed to driving on the "other" side of the road? It may not really make much difference, as for the most part you are just part of a parade on a 2 lane road.

Posted by
15213 posts

The drive is not difficult at all. I've seen worse elsewhere, including the Road to Hana in Maui or even some roads in California. The problem is the scarce parking along the way. It can also get very busy and slow in certain days in Summer. Another issue is people parking illegally in some spots, making the two lane road a one lane two way road.

Posted by
15593 posts

I don't remember any roads in California that were worse! My only problem on long stretches of Hwy 1 was not being able to enjoy the views as much as I wanted. Oh, yeah, there was a bit a fog . . . but not nearly as bad as fog on the 5.

Posted by
2510 posts

We went to the Amalfi Coast last July. We took buses and ferries. The road between Sorento and Positano isn't that bad--I think it would be fine to drive. The difficult part is past Positano towards Amalfi. But make sure you have a place to park in Positano. It is nothing but steps!

Personally, I would not drive past Positano but if you are based there you can take either a bus or the ferry (more pleasant) to visit other towns. We took the ferry from Positano back to Amalfi where our hotel was after we hiked the Path of the Gods trail. The ferry was very pleasant and enjoyable--the buses in summer are very crowded but cheap.

Beth

Posted by
2047 posts

What time of year are you going? We drove the Amalfi Coast last mid March. It was slow going at times, but not too bad. For long stretches we saw few other vehicles. Luckily there are mirrors at many turns.

Posted by
15213 posts

Chani.
If you just use major California highways, like CA-1 you are not going to find roads worse than the Amalfi Coast. There are hundreds throughout California that are worse than Amalfi Coast. The issue is even most Californians don't know their own State, except for the main freeway or boulevards to the major malls. But if you ask any motorbike aficionados, you might discover some. Next time you visit California try Alpine Rd or skyline rd on the Santa Cruz mountains, or hwy 29 from Calistoga to Middleton, or Carmel Valley Rd from Carmel to Soledad. And I'm just mentioning some in the Bay Area.