Please sign in to post.

Driving Amalfi Coast

we are traveling from Rome to Amalfi via car in early march. the rental car is part of the vacation package. my bf will drive as i don't know how to drive stick shift. i'm terrified. is it safe? not sure what else to do since the car is part of the deal. suggestions?

Posted by
4434 posts

If he is a responsible driver, then it is not unsafe. The issue is that parking is quite expensive, and there can be terrible traffic jams along the coast road. March is not so busy, so it is less a major problem than summer would be. Make sure your hotel has parking, otherwise the car is a burden.

Posted by
15 posts

we are staying in Salerno and the hotel does have parking. i think once we are there we will take public transportation to the places we want to go. i want to go to Positano, Pompeii and possibly Capri if we have time. i know the hotel runs a tour to Pompeii so that's easy. thank you all. he hasn't driven stick in a while but flying into rome so he will get some time under his belt before we hit the Amalfi coast. my concern is it will most likely be dark by time we reach the hotel.

Posted by
11175 posts

What are you terrified of? Driving the Amalfi Coast? Or the stick shift? Hopefully your driver isn’t terrified, no need to be.
From Rome, you’ll be on the Autostrada, similar to an interstate highway.

Posted by
15 posts

i am reading the power point presentation, it's very helpful. i'm just terrified of falling off the cliff; looks so dangerous. he's not terrified; he's excited for the adventure.

what is ztls?

Posted by
4434 posts

He is the driver, make him also read what ztls are--making sure he knows that you can get costly parking tickets if you do not go informed.

Posted by
2115 posts

I hope your plan is to pick up the car on the way out of Rome. Having a car in Rome is a headache. Study up on signage. ZTLs are well marked. Make sure you strictly adhere to all traffic rules, including speed limits. Unlike the US where you can get away with 5 mph or so above the speed limit, you get no slack in Italy. There are automated cameras. Just because you don't see the police, it doesn't mean that you won't get a speeding ticket.

Also, when driving on the Autostrada, stay in the right lane except to pass, the quickly return. You can't dawdle in the left lane like clueless American drivers are wont to do.

Posted by
15 posts

thank you all for the great advice. looking forward to this trip.
we will pick the car up at the airport i assume. we are in amalfi for 3 nights then rome for 3 nights. maybe we will return the car once back in rome and use public transportation

Posted by
2304 posts

hey queensgirl57
make sure all drivers get their IDP (international driving permit) from AAA, about $20 and 2 passport photos before your trip. it coincides with your state driver's license. read up at aaa.com search IDP for all the information that goes along with it.
aloha

Posted by
15827 posts

we are staying in Salerno and the hotel does have parking. i think
once we are there we will take public transportation to the places we
want to go. i want to go to Positano, Pompeii and possibly Capri if we
have time

The ferries will not be running from Salerno to Capri, Amalfi or Positano in early March. To Capri, the nearest ferries running in winter will be from Sorrento or Naples, and you'll need to take SITA buses to the other two.

Ferry schedule here:
https://www.capri.net/en/ferry-schedule?from=sorrento&to=#

maybe we will return the car once back in rome and use public
transportation

Yes, absolutely! You don't want or need a car in Rome. Public transit or, better yet, your own two feet are the best ways to get around that one! :O)

Posted by
15591 posts

I drove the AC in February 2 years ago. Here's what happened. Parking in the AC towns wasn't expensive - the rates are much reduced in winter, I think I paid about €1-2 an hour in the parking lots. If your BF isn't a macho driver, it's very safe. I was even able to stop often along the road to get out of the car to take photos of the stunning views, because it wasn't crowded. The only ZTL I remember was in the historic center of Salerno.

Be sure to stop in Minori to try the incredible pastries at Sal de Riso, on the main road. There's a parking lot a few meters up the road on the sea side.

Posted by
15 posts

thank you Chani. I feel better about it and I cannot wait to go there. I appreciate the suggestion. we will definitely stop there.
thank you all...…...