Please sign in to post.

Day trips from Florence

I’m sure this has been discussed but do you know reputable tour companies for day trips from Florence.

Not walking tours. Bus tours to the leaning tower and other small towns.

Thank you! Leaving in 2 weeks!

Posted by
2479 posts

It’s really easy to visit Pisa from Florence on your own, by train. If you just want to see the leaning tower, you can get out at the Pisa San Rossore station.

Posted by
4 posts

thank you so much about the train option. Wanted to take a tour to see nearby towns too. I went on tripadvisor but many have mixed reviews and I have been reluctant to book. But thank you for the train option really appreciate it.

Posted by
1214 posts

This same question was just asked on this forum a few days ago. Two options suggested by posters are Tours by Roberto and Walks of Italy. For example, Walks of Italy has a small bus day tour from Florence that visits Siena, San Gigmignano, lunch at a Tuscan vineyard, and a late afternoon stop in Pisa (Leaning Tower). Here is a link to that discussion:
https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/which-tuscany-day-trip-from-florence-did-you-take

Posted by
2181 posts

We've used Walks of Italy for tours in Florence and Rome and they do a great job. They may cost more than some, but the groups are small and the guides are top notch.

Posted by
2479 posts

Are you familiarizing yourself with the Italian train system? It’s really great. I looked on the Trenitalia website, and it appears that there are trains from Florence to Pisa ~every half hour or less. You can just go to the station (the main one being Firenze S. M. Novella), buy your ticket from an agent or from a vending machine, validate your ticket shortly before you leave by time-date stamping it in a validation machine, get on the train and go.

Posted by
3405 posts

In September we took the bus to San Gimignano from Florence.
You change buses in Poggibonsi (Same stop for both buses), and it was very easy.
You buy your return tickets at the bus depot in Florence, and it's a big coach with AC.
When you get to San Gimignano, the bus stops right outside the gate into town, so you don't have to walk up any big hills.
Much cheaper than a tour!

Posted by
4 posts

thank you so much everyone!!! All these great ideas are most helpful! I just wish we had more time!

Melissa

Posted by
136 posts

Hi Melissa.

We haven't been yet, but we hired a private car with deluxe limo Italy. They are taking us to Pisa, an agriturismo, and then the San Gimignano.